• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Wing Sauce.

My step brother and his fiance are coming over for dinner this Friday and his fiance loves HOT food. So therefore it's my chance to make some home made hotwings. I was thinking of making my own sauce. Here's the ingredients I was thinking of mixing for the hotter batch of wings. If you guys have any ideas on how to make it better or how long I should cook it after I blend it together let me know.

Lime
Habanero's (Unfortunately pickled, I'm out of fresh ones.:()
Salt
Pepper
Tequila
garlic

I was thinking of a couple dabs of Mega Death too, but I may wait to see how it turns out. Just feel free to give opinions. Thanks guys.

P.S- Just so you guys know. I'm not bottling this. It's a one time use thing for the wings.

cap lover said:
use nagas and scorpions... :hell: from what i heard about those THAT would make him respect you and your wings!
It's a wing sauce, meaning they'll use a lot of it.
You don't put Nagas AND Scorpions in a wing sauce... psh, maybe just Nagas. :lol:

Yeah, believe it or not I would actually love to implement some naga's or something of that nature in a wing sauce...TRUST ME!!! I seriously need to grow some:hell::lol: Hab's will do for now though. Also, Devil Duck I will remember to add butter to the mixture. I've heard of that before and I forgot about that. As far as how much of everything to put in.....I'll just wing it. Thanks for your input guys.

rabbit said:
Lime
Habanero's (Unfortunately pickled, I'm out of fresh ones.:()
Salt
Pepper
Tequila
garlic

I've never cooked with tequila, so I can't imagine the taste combo. If marinating, I'd double or triple the mega death dose - my experience is that extracts cook off easily. I'd also replace the garlic with cayenne pepper ( just personal taste ).

I did a pretty hot batch recently - Dave's Insanity dry rub ( you could use cayenne pepper ), UBK Reserve wet rub ( Mega Death would suffice ), let sit for an hour or so, grill till crisp, then toss with Defcon 1 ( sorry - no known replacement). This may not be home made, but it had my friends cursing me at our Superbowl party...and the next day ...;)

Hot Canuck said:
I've never cooked with tequila, so I can't imagine the taste combo. If marinating, I'd double or triple the mega death dose - my experience is that extracts cook off easily. I'd also replace the garlic with cayenne pepper ( just personal taste ).

I did a pretty hot batch recently - Dave's Insanity dry rub ( you could use cayenne pepper ), UBK Reserve wet rub ( Mega Death would suffice ), let sit for an hour or so, grill till crisp, then toss with Defcon 1 ( sorry - no known replacement). This may not be home made, but it had my friends cursing me at our Superbowl party...and the next day ...;)

Dang Hot Canuck that does sound like a good batch of sauce there. I honestly have no idea what the tequila would do either? I'm kind of trying for something really different, and I like garlic. However, I will keep the things you said in mind. I'm kind of new at this and I will most likely make a few changes making new batches. (Gee an excuse for more hot wings now:hell:..LOL!!) Now that you mentioned the heat kicking off I'm definitely adding the Mega-Death in a bigger dose. Thank you.

Well, the simplest way to do up a good batch is to grill or deep fry them without sauce, and then just toss them with your favourite store bought wing sauce. I have tried many combinations of wing sauces and extracts. Try the hottest versions of Defcon, UBK, Anchor Bar, Mad Dog 357, or Dan T's, and if you want them hotter, add in some extract like UBK's ( I bought one on a recent order - I should have got five )or Black Mamba. I usually serve mine with some nice slow cooked ribs - they make the perfect combo. I can PM you a link to some great recipes on another site ( some people are more hands on, if that is what you are looking for ) - just let me know if you want it.

Hot Canuck said:
Well, the simplest way to do up a good batch is to grill or deep fry them without sauce, and then just toss them with your favourite store bought wing sauce. I have tried many combinations of wing sauces and extracts. Try the hottest versions of Defcon, UBK, Anchor Bar, Mad Dog 357, or Dan T's, and if you want them hotter, add in some extract like UBK's ( I bought one on a recent order - I should have got five )or Black Mamba. I usually serve mine with some nice slow cooked ribs - they make the perfect combo. I can PM you a link to some great recipes on another site ( some people are more hands on, if that is what you are looking for ) - just let me know if you want it.

Yeah, I'm kind of a hands on kind of guy. Kind of what makes it fun.:D I actually started mixing some of the stuff in a food processor tonight because I was avoiding watching a reality show or something before work. (Can't stand reality shows...lol!!)I didn't add the garlic or butter yet. I figured I'd add that after I started heating it up. The taste I can tell is actually going to be VERY interesting and the heat is most definitely there. I can't wait to see the face on who else eats it:hell:. However, I noticed that it's pretty liquidy. Do you think the butter will help with it or should I add something else to thicken it? I'm trying to keep a VERY hot sauce without a tomato base that's citrusy if that helps. If you can't tell this is my first sauce as well.Anyways, I'm just trying to brainstorm on how to finnish it just right. Also, yes I am interested in those links for recipes too. Thanks again.

LUCKYDOG said:
A little late but I think you can add Honey to it as well to thicken instead of butter and its a good sweetner

I may be ok. I just put it in a container in the fridge and got a head start on it. I still didn't add the garlic after I sauteed it and I didn't heat the batch yet either. I was thinking of honey earlier, but wasn't sure if it would work. I may add a little honey and butter to it. I'll let you guys know how my first batch turns out.

Well, I used some of the advice that you guys gave me and I also cheated and added a little open pit towards the end. It actually ended up being a very sweet, citrusy sauce with a NICE kick!!!:hell: I was actually rather impressed with my first homemade sauce. It was a keeper for sure. I have an idea of how much I put in there and can pretty much duplicate it. I'm going to make it again this Friday and try to use some measurements now. Here's the ingredients I put in. VERY GOOD!!! Thans you guys.:cool:

Pickled Habaneros
Mega Death
Lime
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Tequila
Butter
Honey
Open Pit Barbeque sauce.

cheezydemon said:
Don't X the garlic!!!!!!;) What are you smoking Canuck!!lol

The vinegar from the pickled peppers will be fine. I would add some more vinegar to be honest.

To clarify - I love garlic. I even fry cloves up and eat them with devilled eggs. I just couldn't imagine it blending well with the other ingredients...

Hot Canuck said:
To clarify - I love garlic. I even fry cloves up and eat them with devilled eggs. I just couldn't imagine it blending well with the other ingredients...

If the wings are tossed in the sauce where the garlic isnt cooked it could be okay its not one of preferences but then again its not my sauce I have had them with garlic and parmesan cheese before and those were outrageous .... the lime and tequila are intersting though in a sauce

LUCKYDOG said:
If the wings are tossed in the sauce where the garlic isnt cooked it could be okay its not one of preferences but then again its not my sauce I have had them with garlic and parmesan cheese before and those were outrageous .... the lime and tequila are intersting though in a sauce
The garlic actually wasn't overpowering in the sauce. I sauteed them first in the pot with some butter, just until they started to carmalize. Then I added the already mixed ingredients, honey, and butter to it. When it started to cook down I added the open pit, then let that simmer for a couple minutes. It was definitely different, but good.:D

Back