• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

how to make oleoresin capsicum!!!!!!!!!

you take the hottest peppers available, lets just use nagas in our example, and the most concentrated alcohol you can find, lets just say rum, and puree the nagas , place into jar and cover with rum close lid and let sit overnight

habs and vodka might work also but the above example is probably most efficient, you can select which peppers go into the OC extract and make a sauce that is over 1 mil scovilles and ACTUALLY TASTES GOOD!!!

Omri said:
How is rum "the most concentrated alcohol you can find"? How 'bout Czech Absinthe, or maybe even Ethanol?

Bacardi 151 is commercially available in all states (probably)
Everclear (95% ethanol) is legal in a few states still (I think)

Pure, 100% ethanol requires Federal permits and every drop of it's use needs to be documented. If you "find" pure ethanol, it is probably denatured (and will say on the container) so you don't need permits, but you wouldn't want to use it for anything you plan to ingest unless you want to get sick in the short term and develop cancer long term.

In short, Bacardi 151 would be the most alcoholic choice widely available.

dreamtheatervt said:
Bacardi 151 is commercially available in all states (probably)
Everclear (95% ethanol) is legal in a few states still (I think)

Pure, 100% ethanol requires Federal permits and every drop of it's use needs to be documented. If you "find" pure ethanol, it is probably denatured (and will say on the container) so you don't need permits, but you wouldn't want to use it for anything you plan to ingest unless you want to get sick in the short term and develop cancer long term.

In short, Bacardi 151 would be the most alcoholic choice widely available.
What are you talking about? Medical Ethanol can be purchased with standard ID. you need a permit only to transfer large quantities.
You won't get sick if you only digest the product of the process, and somehow I don't think he'll eat it.
BTW Czech Absinthe can be found with 75% - 95%, so that's a good choice as well.

oh... lol , i'm not drunk nor do i intend to be untill new years... :P i heard that they use a "natural solvent" likely ethanol to make oleoresin capsicum... and that it tastes bad because of poor quality control...

There is a lil more to making a good extract...Yes you can make a crude extract (not as potent) using this method but there is more to it...I have done alot of research before I began making extract....

Omri said:
What are you talking about? Medical Ethanol can be purchased with standard ID. you need a permit only to transfer large quantities.
You won't get sick if you only digest the product of the process, and somehow I don't think he'll eat it.
BTW Czech Absinthe can be found with 75% - 95%, so that's a good choice as well.

Maybe in Israel, but in the states you need an FDA permit for anything purer than the ethanol/water azeotrope of 95.5% ethanol, otherwise you have to denature it. I've filled out paper work before.

dreamtheatervt said:
Maybe in Israel, but in the states you need an FDA permit for anything purer than the ethanol/water azeotrope of 95.5% ethanol, otherwise you have to denature it. I've filled out paper work before.
Why? :shocked:
I can see why you would need permit for the dangerous substances, but Ethanol?
lol I can get LN2 here. :lol:

Ethanol is a regulated substance in its pure form, just like many other things you can get in an "impure form" because as a solvent, it can be used to make illegal drugs. Ammonia is the real big one though, lots of meth makers try to steal it from farms. You'd be surprised what all is on the list.

dreamtheatervt said:
Ethanol is a regulated substance in its pure form, just like many other things you can get in an "impure form" because as a solvent, it can be used to make illegal drugs. Ammonia is the real big one though, lots of meth makers dry to steal it from farms. You'd be surprised what all is on the list.
Wow, ok... :shocked:

Agree with Dream on the pure ethanol regulated part...

I bought this bottle of everclear at my local liquor store about 3 months ago...I use it to make "Texas Tea" with..

There is another ethanol product not available to the general public and drinking it, well, do so at your own risk. It is 99.4% alcohol...198.8 proof...

I worked for a time in the early 80s at the University of Florida performing RadioImmunoAssays for Reproductive Physiology studies on Swine and Cattle. The pure ethanol is used as an extract during the process to remove the water from the solutions. It is impossible to get pure 100% ethanol without using an extraction process. I injected some oranges with this stuff and let me tell you....drunk city after two oranges. Then I found out they used Benzene during the extraction process and the pure Ethanol has some of the benzene still in it...that is what the other 0.6% is. Quit using this stuff after I found out about the Benzene (known Carcinogen).

Back