• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting lighting help for new guy?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the site and still learning how to use it. I moved into an apartment 7 months so no yard anymore and i have the grow bug. I have t8 fixtures , and I know very little about lighting as i am use to growing peppers out doors. I was wondering if i could ask you a few things.

1. Are all t8 tubs created equal as far as quality of growth and light spectrum?

2. Any suggestions on quality cheap to medium-high priced lighting

3. What do i look for in lighting?

And lastly.

4. does distance from plant matter?

Thank you for the help in advance looking forward to learning and sharing wisdom.

More info.
Looking into growing herbs(in grow box), habs/other chillis in pots.

As far as lighting goes make sure to surf Craigslist before shelling out big bucks for brand new stuff. I picked up a like new Hydrofarm HPS the other day for $40.

For growth you want to look for the "daylight" bulbs or 6500k. For flower the 2700k or a mix with 6500k is better.

I run HO T5s and keep them about 8" above the plants and I'm happy with my results.

As far as lighting goes make sure to surf Craigslist before shelling out big bucks for brand new stuff. I picked up a like new Hydrofarm HPS the other day for $40.

For growth you want to look for the "daylight" bulbs or 6500k. For flower the 2700k or a mix with 6500k is better.

I run HO T5s and keep them about 8" above the plants and I'm happy with my results.

hey $40 isnt bad at all. thanks for the suggestion. il try mixing 2700k and 6500k. thank you all for the info. this site is a hidden gem for growers.

Go with the T5's....4 ft "blue" color tubes...you can grow to full maturity inder these :) Trust me :) Try to get the 8 bulb fixtures, as they really aid in the "spacing" of the tubes...they are about perect!

Back