• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Some seedling questions

Greetings all,
Finally able to post my first thread, after a few days of trouble. Anyways, i've was really into growing peppers a few years ago, and would start them inside like usual cause living in maryland, its way to cold outside etc. Need to get a jump start on that growing season. But this year I've started to grow tomatoes and peppers inside, and due to space limitations and light, i've ran into a few problems and questions. I used a new plastic "tackle" holder like used for fishing and I individually made cells for each seed in each, and used a heating pad under it for required heat to germinate. So my Caribbean Reds were placed on the each ends of each other, some on the far right side and some on the far left. And the ones on the far right germinated first, so i was forced to open my container to let air in to prevent from fungus. And I only have two lights, and I'm using 2 soft white CPL'S as grow lights, not long fluorescent light fixtures. So I was forced to transplant the young seedlings into different pots to put under the lights because the other seeds havent germinated yet. I was wondering, how much of a shock that is going to put on my young seedlings, i mean barely even out but sprouted. I dont want them to eventually die because of the shock, and im going to have to do it to most of my seedlings because im growing 6 different varieties and they are all going to germinate at different times. And I dont want some to germinate and not be under light, so im forced to move them as soon as the germinate. Im starting to wonder if this is a bad idea, and any comments or suggestions would be greatful. Thanks

Dan

First things first...Welcome to the Boards from Fort Worth, Texas

Have they started their first true set of leaves after the cotyledons?

Yes, majority of the ones I had have, but a few were still stuck to their seed even. Which seems pretty extreme to move them at this stage, but I would rather them try to grow right under light then to grow without light, unless of course this is going to kill them, which im trying to find out :)

they might not love it but they'll live. i have dropped plants to the floor while transplanting and they still lived (i'm a bit of a spazz...)
but this is why people use peat pellets or pots to avoid the shock, i just start them in the four inch containers halfway down. everyone here has their own way of starting them, i hear the yogurt container method is very popular.
welcome by the way.

I am really not the one to answer that question...I misread what you wrote and thought you had light on them...my bad...maybe Pam, Potawie, or some of the Aussies can answer you....

The reason I asked about the first true leaves was I have just finished transplanting about 150 seedlings. All had good root masses and made the transplant with flying colors and growing leaps and bounds...IMHO if you have a good root mass, you will have a healthy seedling...just treat them with a lot of TLC>..

Well thanks for the welcome!
Yea well they dont really seem to be doing much as of now, im sure they're in a little bit of shock and are going to have to get used to their pot so im hoping it will only take a few days for them to do that. Does anyone think that the 2 CFL bulbs are going to be sufficient? When I used to grow inside i only used a 60 watt incandescent grow light bulb, and they seemed to grow decent then so with these new CFL's im hoping they will work a little bit better. The only other concern I have is getting the fatalli's to germinate, its been a good almost 10 days and still no sign, and same with the white hab's. Being the chinese I know they take a while to germinate, but at optimal temperature the caribbean reds germinated in a whopping 5 days, same with the jamaican hot chocolates. So just wondering if these types have given anyone else any problems

I have had mixed results with the chinense I have started..some sprouted in 5 days and some have not started in 19 days so far....I know, not much of an answer but it is what I have experienced...

Yea, they can be quite finicky. My only concern is providing enough lighting for them all really. Ugh so stressful but yet so exciting.

how many watts are your cfl and how many plants total? there's a big difference b/w cfl and incandescent so two can be plenty for a small amount of plants. i find the seeds will wait juuuust long enough for you to give up on them, then sprout.

yea well as i learned earlier this year that incandescents are very bad at providing enough light so I started using fluorescents. The bulbs I have are two 30 watt (100 watt replacement) providing 2000 lumens total each. Probably going to have to supply light for about an estimated 10 plants until I can plant outside which will only be a couple of months. I'm probably going to have to invest in some sort of reflectors or something.

It looks good I will most certainly have to look into investing some :) Does anyone think its smart to move these small seedlings still back into seed starting mix, or should I move them into actual potting soil considering they have technically sprouted?

Well just browsing around not knowing much about it, it seems pretty cheap like for instance I see:

1 roll of 4 mill mylar. This is new unused. The size is 40 inches by 50 feet plus

And I found that for 5.99

No idea if thats the right kind or anything

Hello Straticus nice to meet you here at THP. Mylar only help the light source good or not a little better. The lights your useing I use above my germination trays before I remove the cover and a few days after. Not enough light for a tray of seedlings. Invest in some shop light at least and get something in the 5k to 6.5k range for early growth. Good luck.

Here is a pic I just took of my little ones under a 4k kelvin 400w MH lamp running in a HPS ballast. I've got mylar and it works with lots and lots of light.

DSCN0065.jpg

I thought somewhere in the 5k to 6k range was only to help with flowering and budding, but I could be wrong. Yea I would love to get a full shop light and I'm going to once I get my taxes back hah this is only temporary. And I thought the 2-3k range was good for growing and helping plants stay bushy. Not quite sure

Straticus said:
Well just browsing around not knowing much about it, it seems pretty cheap like for instance I see:

1 roll of 4 mill mylar. This is new unused. The size is 40 inches by 50 feet plus

And I found that for 5.99

No idea if thats the right kind or anything
I think I looked at the wrong thing, cause the prices are not even close...

EDIT:
5,000K - 6,000K is blue, and blue is for leaves.
You can use it for everything, just that it won't be as good.

Back