• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stefan_W's 2013 Pods A-Ripenin'! Glog

I am going to start the new glog for my upcoming growing season on a bit of a personal note. One year ago tomorrow (January 3rd) is the one year anniversary of the day that my daughter was diagnosed with a tumour that is lodged in the middle of her brain. The past year has involved treatments and hospital stays, and there were at least three different points when we were pretty sure she was not going to make it. But she is a fighter, and nothing could keep her down for long.

Sofia has personally planted every pepper and tomato seed that I have started in the past three growing seasons. She beat the odds last year to help me, and once again she is defying what medicine has to say to help me out this year.

We started a jalapeno plant about a week ago just for the sake of watching it grow, because we both love it so much. One of the jalapenos grew to the point that it had its firt couple of leaves, so we transplanted him into a bigger pot. While we were at it I decided to put in some aji lemondrops, partly because they take a long time to fruit up and I wanted to give them a huge head start.

This is the jalapeno plant. I pulled the second one out because we did not need it, and discovered that the roots had grown all of the way down to the bottom of the cell.
IMG_0962.JPG

My daughter personally doing the transplant.
IMG_0964.JPG

Her aim is better than mine, and so it turned out perfectly.
IMG_0966.JPG

Next up was taking out the lemondrop seeds from peppermania.
IMG_0977.JPG

I need a few extras of this type, so I asked Sofia to plant two seeds in each of the four cells. Two plants will be for us, and whatever else grows will be given away to good friends.
IMG_0979.JPG

Two of the three tiers in my lighting stand are currently being used as toy shelves, which is cool for now. The lights are adjustable, and moved down to get close to the seedling.
IMG_0980.JPG

The heating pad works extremely well, and once the cells are covered the top clouds up in no time.
IMG_0983.JPG

A happy early jalapeno seedling in his new home. I thought I heard "feeeeeed meeeeee" coming from that direction, but I'm not sure.
IMG_0985.JPG

That's it for today, folks! Welcome to my new glog :welcome:

I was going to say I hope the pepper gods grace your grow but seems to me that you have something better than pagan pepper gods we jest about, Sofia rocks! Here’s wishing the both of you an awesome grow in 2013 \o/

Edit: and your whole family as well :)

Looking very nice, Stefan. Your little girl Sofia is a
real charmer! What a great helper. Good luck with
your Jalapeno and your Lemon Drops! And good
wishes to Sofia, too

Stefan. This is what I used. I put a drop in each cell (aerogarden sponge).
F7369536-7DA0-4A35-8CE0-6607255DB3CC-6264-000003637973585C.jpg

I noticed greater looking roots than the ones from last year.
3549040F-34E6-4875-9091-3B099D9AECB0-6004-00000349133D47EE.jpg

Good luck with the grow. And hope then bikers work out well for you.

Nice ... no matter what those Chilli's are going to grow well with such positive thoughts behind them!!. Best of luck to both your human and chilli family for the season ahead.

...I noticed greater looking roots than the ones from last year.
Are the better greater looking roots due to that product or is it possible that you are now a much better hydroponics grower/farmer? Is that the only change VS last year? Side note, I mean no offense just curious ...

WG. I would say they look better due to the product. The aerogarden is a plug and play. Fill it with water. Put aero nutes. Put plugs with seeds. Voila. Only difference was the product. ;). None taken.

WG. I would say they look better due to the product. The aerogarden is a plug and play. Fill it with water. Put aero nutes. Put plugs with seeds. Voila. Only difference was the product. ;). None taken.
Very cool, I checked it out in your glog, starts look awesome and thanks for the reply :)

Stefan, welcome back to a new season..........your daughters a cutie! I just started to read your first paragraph and before I finished my wife said she remembers that from last year.... It was very touching last year at this time, It's Great ! to see your daughter having the chance to expierence, with you, what you enjoy........the garden ...
Good luck with the 2013 season.

Greg

Stefan, that is just awesome that your Daughter Sofia planted each and every one. So very sorry to hear about her tumor. Those peppers are going to be the most special ones on the planet. Looking forward to following your and Sofia's grow.

I was going to say I hope the pepper gods grace your grow but seems to me that you have something better than pagan pepper gods we jest about, Sofia rocks! Here’s wishing the both of you an awesome grow in 2013 \o/

Edit: and your whole family as well :)

Yes, she does rock! One of the things that happens when kids are in the hospital for a long time is they stop making plans and looking forward to things. This past weekend she came up to me, looked out the back door toward where we grow, and told me all about how excited she is about gardening with me this coming summer. Absolutely priceless. :P

Looking very nice, Stefan. Your little girl Sofia is a
real charmer! What a great helper. Good luck with
your Jalapeno and your Lemon Drops! And good
wishes to Sofia, too

Thank you for the well wishes, and thank you for stopping in! I'm looking forward to reading your epic glog this coming year.

Stefan. This is what I used. I put a drop in each cell (aerogarden sponge).

I noticed greater looking roots than the ones from last year.

Good luck with the grow. And hope then bikers work out well for you.

Thanks for the tip! I am actually going to the hydroponics store this weekend to pick up a few supplies and I will add this to the list. If they don't have it I'm sure they can order it.

Nice ... no matter what those Chilli's are going to grow well with such positive thoughts behind them!!. Best of luck to both your human and chilli family for the season ahead.

Thank you very much! The chilis will be well loved and looked after, Sofia will be sure to look after all of that. It is funny, because she and I planted the kale together this past year and hers grew like wildfire while mine was sort of runty. She definitely has the magic touch.

Best of luck with the grow Stefan and may God bless you and your family.

Thank you very much Patrick, prayers are always welcome. Our church has stood behind us through thick and thicker as all of this played out over the past year, even though I can be a jackass by questioning absolutely everything ;)

Stefan, welcome back to a new season..........your daughters a cutie! I just started to read your first paragraph and before I finished my wife said she remembers that from last year.... It was very touching last year at this time, It's Great ! to see your daughter having the chance to expierence, with you, what you enjoy........the garden ...
Good luck with the 2013 season.

Greg

Last year was a huge whirlwind, and I did not get the chance to get any pics up of the seed starting process because we were doing chemo at the time. Last year I doubted whether she would do any of the gardening stuff with me, but her love of gardening seemed to help her get out and around even when she was feeling like crap from the treatments. This year will be even better, and I am not going to take even a second of it for granted. Thanks for the well wishes Greg (and Greg's wife)!

Stefan, that is just awesome that your Daughter Sofia planted each and every one. So very sorry to hear about her tumor. Those peppers are going to be the most special ones on the planet. Looking forward to following your and Sofia's grow.

Yes, every time I see the plants in the garden and use the pods in something I always remember that she is the one who planted the seeds. And I tell her each and every time I use something that came out of a seed that she planted. She has an amazingly strong connection to the meaning and importance of gardening for a girl her age. Thank you for stopping in, and I'm sure we'll be tracking each other's grows all summer long :P

Hi Stefan
How cool is that when you get your kids involved in growing food for the family! There were 6 of us in my family and we all worked in the vegetable garden through the season. We kids learned responsibility, and how much work it takes to get anything worthwhile in life. I found joy and wonder in nurturing growing things through to the harvest. Of course someone who wants to live very much would be drawn to it! I'm glad you all found something to be passionate about together.

AWESOME and Inspiring.... i look forward to following your grow this year.

good luck with the lemon drops. i grew them from Beth last season for the first time and love them. medium heat with a citrusy zing.

You have a Cute little helper there.

Best wishes for the year ahead.

:cheers:

Thank you, and good luck too with your grow this year! Thank you for stopping by.

Hi Stefan
How cool is that when you get your kids involved in growing food for the family! There were 6 of us in my family and we all worked in the vegetable garden through the season. We kids learned responsibility, and how much work it takes to get anything worthwhile in life. I found joy and wonder in nurturing growing things through to the harvest. Of course someone who wants to live very much would be drawn to it! I'm glad you all found something to be passionate about together.

Yeah, I couldn't agree with you more. It is more than just gardening, it is all about values. Of course it does not hurt that in the end you are able to put things into your body that aren't covered with toxic persticides and stuff.

AWESOME and Inspiring.... i look forward to following your grow this year.

good luck with the lemon drops. i grew them from Beth last season for the first time and love them. medium heat with a citrusy zing.

Thank you very much for stopping in, and for the kind words. I am hopeful that the lemondrops will be a keeper, but those things are always hit and miss. This year I am experimenting with a pile of varieties so I can figure out what to keep going with and what to leave aside next year.

Nice to see your daughter helping out Stefan

Best wishes for the grow and your family

Datil

Thanks for stopping in, and good luck with your grow as well! Positive wishes are always appreciated :)

Stefan with all that great help you're getting from Sofia I'd think you'd have more time to take pictures, so put down that beer and take some more shots, hehehe ... only messin with you brethren, hope all's coming into great play for the season and looking forward to reading/seeing how things going :)

Stefan with all that great help you're getting from Sofia I'd think you'd have more time to take pictures, so put down that beer and take some more shots, hehehe ... only messin with you brethren, hope all's coming into great play for the season and looking forward to reading/seeing how things going :)

My plan is to make some homemade fries and sample some of Sicman's powders on them, and then post pics of it tomorrow. I did buy new bulbs for my floralight stand today, but it is tough to really get good pics of that ;)

My plan is to make some homemade fries and sample some of Sicman's powders on them, and then post pics of it tomorrow.
That sounds cool, I hope you can give us a mini review of with/without da powder and how you like/enjoy it ... break a leg mon! (I mean this in a good way like show biz).

I did buy new bulbs for my floralight stand today, but it is tough to really get good pics of that ;)
Nice, I know very little about indoor grow but hope to learn while reading along. Yeah I guess that’s hard to do if the light is hard to photograph. When I moved to shooting in RAW that made lighting a none issue, but the way I got around it before was to shoot the pics without the lights of them on. For example I shot some tubes (rectifier) with a point and shoot and did it with outside lighting over the grass, for example:

100_a.jpg

Hope this gives you an idea if you want to show your new bulbs ....

Back