• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Chopped Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
This is the Chopped-Style Throwdown! The ingredients in the basket are:
  • Beef short ribs
  • Red wine
  • Panko bread crumbs
  • Canned creamed corn
The rest is up to you!

You MUST use all ingredients, do not hide them, showcase them, and transform them from their original state where possible. You may use any other ingredients from your pantry and fridge except another meat or fish protein (you can use stock/bouillon/rendered fat). Don't add too much, this is a challenge. App, entree, dessert, or a combo. Plate, sides, sammie, whatever. The ingredients do not need to be used together, but separate dishes may hurt you. Cohesion is the key... and transformation. Don't just cook short ribs with a side of corn people!

PS. The wine needs to be in your dish, not in your glass. ;)

I cannot stress this enough, do not add meat or fish proteins. Adding bacon, for example... disqualified. However bacon fat (rendered) would be allowed.

READ: The 5 Rules for an eligible entry

Final post prep: In addition to the ingredients list and cooking methods, please also list each basket ingredient, and how it was used.

PoL: $.70

Ends Sunday 10 PM EST.

BEGIN!

just home from shopping and have none of the ingredients ... we'll see ...

hey boss ...

i'm not sure where scrapple falls on the binary meat or not meter =)

The fat has to be rendered, like, frying something in bacon fat. Stock, bouillon, fats allowed.

gotcha ... maybe i'll hit up the gourmet spot in the 'hood and enter, but there's no way i'm going to Publix again this weekend ... F that.

Or if you meant does that work as beef short ribs, um no. ;)

Please work, Please work, Please work....
PoL...
IMGP2960_zpsbdbd9e2f.jpg

Cool! Panini? Or is that a waffle maker?

By the way in your final posts please list each basket ingredient and how it was used as well as the normal ingredients and cooking methods requirement. Thanks

Frydad's Adventures in Molecular Gastronomy...

The best thing about a chopped throwdown is to transform the ingredients into something outside the box.

I took the creamed corn, pureed it, added the panko bread crumbs until it was a pasty consistency, and threw it in the food dehydrator, on the "fruit roll up" ring.
Afterwards, it was cut into circles and fried into chips.

The short ribs were beautiful! I did them like "Vaca Frita", which is pressure cooked, then marinated in citrus juice, shredded, and then fried.

I made Sangria Caviar by boiling Malbec with some agar-agar, white sugar, congo trinidad, lemon, lime, and blood orange, and then dropped in very cold vegetable oil.
The pearls settled on the bottom as perfect spheres. After a rinse in cold water, they were ready to serve.

On the dish is a cilantro cream with congo trinidad, as well as lemon zest for more flavor and garnish. This was fun and delicious!!

Look at the marbling on these short ribs!!!
IMGP2957_zps74bbc046.jpg

Dehydrated Cream Corn and Panko
IMGP2958_zps0f3a4225.jpg

Congo Trinidad Sangria
IMGP2963_zpsa2253b76.jpg

Turning into "Caviar"
IMGP2964_zps693b6acf.jpg

Boom! Spicy little buggers!!
IMGP2965_zpsbb17b3d8.jpg

Panko-Cream Corn Chips
IMGP2969_zps74ee345b.jpg

Finished Product...
IMGP2971_zps8a5dec14.jpg

IMGP2976_zps97bbb7b6.jpg

Highly recommended!!!!

FD

AMAZING!

AMAZING!

AMAZING!

Frydad's Sangria Caviar with Short Rib Vaca Frita (on Cream Corn Panko Chips)

Cream Corn Panko Chips:
One can of cream corn, pureed, plus about a cup of panko bread crumbs.
Put it in a food dehydrator on the "fruit roll up" setting for 4 hours or so until its gooey and gummy.
Cut into circles, and fried in hot oil.

Short Rib Vaca Frita:
Pressure cook some beautiful short ribs in water and salt for an hour, till it wants to fall apart.
Take it out and marinate it in the juice of one blood orange, one lemon, one lime, congo trinidad, and a T of kosher salt.
After an hour, shred the meat, off the bone, and flash fry in hot vegetable oil for a few minutes until the edges are crispy.
Top with sea salt.

Sangria Caviar:
Boil 1 cup of malbec. Add 1 T white sugar, a slice of lemon, lime, congo trinidad, and blood orange, plus 2 g agar-agar.
(don't be afraid of agar-agar, its like vegetable gelatin, and available cheap at any asian grocery store)
(trust me...I looked it up...on the INTERNET)
Let it boil for 2 minutes, then pour it into a separate container.
Meanwhile, 4 hours ago, you should have put a tall glass full of vegetable oil in the freezer to get it real cold...what ELSE were you doing?!?!?
Draw the sangria into a syringe and drop into the chilled oil. The pearls will form perfectly, and sink to the bottom.
When you're done, strain in a mesh thingy and rinse in cool water.

I made a cilantro cream with chopped fresh cilantro, congo trinidad, lemon juice, salt, and sour cream.
Assemble like the pics...With a touch of lemon zest.

IMGP2979_zps3725448b.jpg

IMGP2981_zpsa77c2c96.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back