• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

LabsOwnYou's 2013 Glog -- Exceeding the limits

As I've mentioned before, I have decided it's time to post more, and become a more productive member of this community. Today (1/4/13) was the first day I've had enough time to do anything pepper related (other than eat them, of course!). So here goes:

First and foremost, a HUGE thanks to meinchoh for being kind enough to offer me some seeds. It is much appreciated! (Pics soon - They came out crappy and I'll have to retake them.)

To start off, I ended up poking holes in the bottoms of each cup and placing the holey cups in the normal cups. I got the idea somewhere off here to line the inside of a cardboard box with foil and I ordered a better light bulb so we'll see how that works.

The following seeds were sown, 2 per cup:

4 cups 7 Pot Primo
4 cups Brain Strain Red
3 cups Trinidad Scorpion Yellow
3 cups Trinidad Scorpion Moruga blend
2 cups 7 pot yellow x Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (F1?)

As these out-grow their containers, I'll be starting more. That, or when I have a bunch more time (soon!)

I will update this as much as I can, but I probably won't have too much time these next 2 - 3 weeks, unfortunately. So if this seems dead, I promise to update it ASAP!

LabsOwnYou

You sure have some heat brewing in those cups. It takes about 7 to 14 days for germ on those seeds.

Post some photos when they sprout

Greg

Hey, LOY! Good luck with your seeds; got some nice
varieties there. I guess you don't like the heat much ;)

Sorry guys. I haven't had any time to update this recently. I figured I'd give an update.

I must say, it goes to show how much of a novice I am. I bombed this grow completely, since I didn't know one of the most basic rules of starting pepper seeds: heat! In response, I purchased a heated greenhouse from Home Depot, so I'm really hoping to get something started. Last night I planted various seeds, though not all peppers. Unfortunately the seeds meinchoh sent got misplaced and so I'm just using a few ones from Home Depot. Hoping for a better turn out. I'll probably get another greenhouse thingy really soon.

Lastly, does anyone have experience with the aerogarden? Do they work? Sorry about this off topic question.

Well, it's past midnight, so I'm going to get some sleep.

Labsownyou

I find this kind of funny. A day or two AFTER I pretty much admitted defeat lots of magic happens.

Here's my 7 pot primo sprouts(Four of them!):

primos_zps3bf09105.jpg

And the brain strain:

brainstrain_zpse399e7b7.jpg

Not to mention the yellow Trinidad scorpions (not as visible, but it's there, I promise!):

trinidadscorpionyellow_zps20f9cf92.jpg

And lastly, the 7 pot x Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon(which, to be honest, is probably less visible than the Yellow Trinidad Scorpion):

7potxbhutjolokiaindiancarbon_zps6949a808.jpg

So I guess it should be said that just because it seems hopeless doesn't mean it's time to throw in the towel.

That's it for tonight!

LabsOwnYou

Wow, they've been sprouting like crazy these past three days! I had nine more of them sprout today alone! Pics tomorrow, promise. But for now, here's the count:

Primo: 8/8
7pot yellow x Bhut Jolokia Indian carbon: 4/4 sprouted, however I killed one when I tried to pull the seed off the plant. Doh!
Brain strain red: 4/8
Trinidad Scorpion yellow: 4/6
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga blend: 2/6

Can't wait until these get bigger, I'm hoping to try my first fresh superhot soon enough. (I've had dried ghost peppers and a dried trinidad Moruga scorpion in the past.)

Nice list of fire you have there. I love how it reads like a super hot recipe...

"4 cups 7 Pot Primo 4 cups Brain Strain Red 3 cups Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3 cups Trinidad Scorpion Moruga blend 2 cups 7 pot yellow x Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (F1?)" Blend well and enjoy!

Sounds like good eatin! Good luck this year.

Great looking spouts and list, best of luck in 2013 ... BTW can you make the pics a little smaller ;) (don't mind my warped sense of humor), but I think you grabbed the wrong img code, you copied the one for thumbnails VS forum post that looks like:
Code:
[IMG]blablabla.jpg[/IMG]

Great looking spouts and list, best of luck in 2013 ... BTW can you make the pics a little smaller ;) (don't mind my warped sense of humor), but I think you grabbed the wrong img code, you copied the one for thumbnails VS forum post that looks like:
Code:
[IMG]blablabla.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks! And yeah, I'll look into it. I've been just grabbing the direct link and using that.

Edit: I believe that, since the pictures are coming from my phone, that could also affect it. Nonetheless, I plan on looking into it when I get home from school.

Nice list of fire you have there. I love how it reads like a super hot recipe...

"4 cups 7 Pot Primo 4 cups Brain Strain Red 3 cups Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3 cups Trinidad Scorpion Moruga blend 2 cups 7 pot yellow x Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (F1?)" Blend well and enjoy!

Sounds like good eatin! Good luck this year.

Hah, thanks! Im really hoping to get some good results for my first year with superhots. And I didn't even think of that, but it is kind of neat the way the list worked out, huh?

EDIT: PIC!
preview_image_0_16866622x_zps7143c291.jpg

Hey guys, I'm back with another update! As of right now I have twenty-three sprouts showing their first two leaves and two hooks that just popped today. (They're in the bottom right-hand corner.) In fact, most of them are starting to grow their second sets of leaves!

Pic:

preview_image_0_28184182x_zpsb46ef43a.jpg

I've also started some more seeds, these from Ajijoe.

Here's the temporary setup, which doesn't show the cups I have in a plastic bin:

preview_image_0_7427112x_zps4339ac70.jpg

I say "temporary" because I ordered a bigger heat mat, 48" x 20", from Amazon. Gosh, I hope these investments last me multiple seasons. :pray:

Nonetheless, the peppers to be harvested will make it worth it,

I've sown the following seeds using the same method of two seeds per cup:

White Bullet Habanero: 3 Cups
Jamaican Hot Chocolate: 2 cups
Cappuccino Nugget Habanero: 2 cups
Chocolate Hand Grenade # 1: 2 cups
Peach Habalokia #2: This is an experiment; my first time starting seeds using the paper towl in a bag method. : 5 seeds
Yellow Habalokia: 2 cups
Red Scorpanero: 2 cups
Yellow Jamaican Scotch Bonnet: 2 cups
Indonesian Cayenne (Kerating? Don't know which to call it...): 3 cups
Aji Lemon Drop: 2 cups
Red Rocoto: 2 cups

I also have the following seeds which will be planted two per cup:

Yellow Fatalii
Lightning Mix
Peach Trinidad Scorpion
Butch T Trinidad Scorpion
Peach Bhut Jolokia
Mustard Trinidad Scorpion
Red habalokia
Tonga Orange Habanero
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon

I really should have stopped a bit ago, but I'm certain I'll find the space for the peppers as they age... I hope.

Oh, and if you weren't aware, I'm probably going to set up a light system similar to Shane's. Using the long power strip, light bulb splitters, and CFLs. Using one CFL will only get my plants so far, and I'm afraid that they're about to surpass the quantity/size that it can be of use to, if the amount of them hasn't already. So I guess that's it for now. I will update again when that's complete!

Yeah buddy...sorry I just found this Michael. Hey man, plenty of SD/Socal area growers around to help you out and hook you up. We gotta stick together!!! Great list, funny how they keep growing! You're gonna set yourself on fire later this season! I'll be looking forward to the lights setup pics when you get 'er done. Separate note, in about a month I will be getting rid of some excess plants. So keep an eye out!

I walked past the dogs' crate this morning which sparked an idea:

preview_image_0_61811032x_zps58135149.jpg

I stole it from the mellower dog... Nah, I'm using a spare crate that was in the garage.

Also, I realized I've only documented the growth of seedlings. This is misleading, because I have a few other plants, from either Home Depot or Armstrong, and they're somewhat okay.

Here's a mini bell pepper and santa fe grande:

preview_image_0_52852062x_zps9956d9bc.jpg

The banana pepper, which would probably like a bigger container.

preview_image_0_65865072x_zpse691478a.jpg

And a habanero plant:

preview_image_0_79424202x_zps397421c7.jpg

Also, one of my biggest hopes would be to harvest something I started *from seed* this year. I think it'll be from one of my corno di toro (I think) plants - they grow very fast:

preview_image_0_6071522x_zps4d59923e.jpg

preview_image_0_52571362x_zpsa4550589.jpg

Oh, and that lamp has been put to other use: Reaper and Cayenne...

preview_image_0_76755222x_zpsbb4d4d80.jpg

That's about it for this update. Looking forward to the next!

Look who's in da dawg house! My peppers usually get me put there...not the other way around! Like what I'm seeing!

Haha, love the idea of using the dog crate. Maybe you could cover it with something white to reflect some light back at the plants. Lots of wasted light there!

Either way, genius!

Haha, love the idea of using the dog crate. Maybe you could cover it with something white to reflect some light back at the plants. Lots of wasted light there!

Either way, genius!

You do have a point there - I will find something to line the outside to reflect that light towards the plants. Probably wont be until tonight/tomorrow, going skiing with school today!

I'm amazed with the progress of my seedlings as well as some already established cayenne plants that have been under these lights. It makes me wonder why I didn't just start out with the lights... Oh, right, I live in San Diego. :P

Hah, I also took Cayennemist's idea and ended up planting the reaper in a Walmart bag. I so love that idea. Thanks again!

Back