• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Central Market Organics Hot Sauce

"made with chile peppers"

img16341ib.jpg

Central Market, a gourmet grocery store chain here in Texas, has launched a product line of out-sourced certified organic products. I decided to give their Hot Sauce a try.

This pours out pretty watery. It would be hard to get it to stick to most food and for taste reasons I'll get into next, it's probably best used cooking.

The first thing I tasted is the first ingredient on the label: organic cider vinegar. Then salt and then, oh yeah "chile peppers". Thanks for being so specific about the ingredients, Central Market.
:roll: This is nothing to write home about. Sort of a fancy pants Tobasco, really. It retails for under 2 bucks a bottle so I guess I shouldn't have expected too much.

Well, as you can see the color is a decent orange so I was hoping for some habanero flavor but it's pretty non-specific. The ingredient list is pretty simple: organic cider vinegar, water, organic chili puree, salt, organic spices,xanathan, organic capsicum extract.

Extract? Yeah, there is some heat here but not much to a chilehead. I put some in a shotglass and sipped it, trying to get a handle on the flavor profile, and it's got a little residual heat but not much. I did not burn my mouth or lips. Oh well....

I can see using this to season creole dishes and BBQ sauce but not much more. It's not a sauce you would want to use on it's own.

Come on Central Market. I know you can do better than this.

Taste 3/10
Heat 4/10

DEFCON Creator said:
Man, with a review like that, perhaps you can use it to remove the gum from under the coffee table. :flamethrower:

:doh:

Sometimes I think I'm being too picky. Maybe all the Marie Sharp's sauces and the fresh ones I make are spoiling me. What the hell though...taste matters.

Why bother making something of inferior flavor. What's the point? Money? How sad! There can’t be that many people out there that would be repeat customers for something with no flavor. Or am I being naive?

Sorry, I just do see the point of not doing something the right way.
(will climb down off my soap box now)

LBTC said:
Why bother making something of inferior flavor.

Well, some people are very fond of these vinegar-based sauces. For a vinegar-based sauce, this stuff isn't too bad. The fact that it's certified organic is a selling point. Think of it as an organic alternative to Tobasco. And also consider it retails for about $1.69.

Just trying to be fair here.

I get very spoiled here with a constant supply of fresh habaneros about 30 feet from my kitchen door.

The term "organic" cracks me up. Just as "All Natural" does. Both imply healty, and at the same time state they are made from anything that currently exists on Earth. Everything on Earth is 'natural', unless of course the Body Snatchers have landed, and Donald Sutherland hasn't converted yet.

Back