• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Coffee filter germination

Hey.

So I think I'm gonna start off my seeds using coffee filters and a ziplock.

I understand the theory, but what I can't work out is..

Once they germinate, which way up should I place them in the soil?

Seed bottom, sprout up. Or vice versa?

Or does it really not matter?

At the same time, opinions on putting seeds in the freezer before doing so?

Cheers!
George

the initial white sprout you see is the core tap root that all other rooting fibers extent from, so it should go either down or on its side. thus the seed cap pushes upward and that is why we will soon be having our rush of "my seedlings have caps what should it do?" posts.

good luck

The roots will grow down however you place them. I used this method with success once but it's too much work. No need for stratification,chile seeds aren't as difficult as some people claim. Most of the seeds floating around here are under 6 months old. IMO age and storage are important in germination.Keep them moist,and between 80-84° and you will be fine.

Frozen seeds first: Seeds in the "great outdoors" freeze all the time. Due to the number of people claiming that seeds that are frozen won't germinate, I intentionally used seeds from frozen pods (frozen whole) a couple of years ago. Guess what - 100% germination. The primary things to look out for are that the seeds remain dry, and that you give ALL seeds (frozen or not) a quick bath in a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water before germinating them, to ensure you remove any potential pathogens (mold, etc.) that may not be visible.

Coffee Filter germination: That's what I do. I just get a kick out of watching the seed casing thin out, then being able to see the little spiral that is the plant all curled up inside the casing, then see the little tiny hook of the root come out. It is fascinating to me! If you put them into soil or starter mix as soon as the root peeks out, don't worry about whether it is "up" or "down" - just toss it in. The plant knows where to go from there. Remember that in nature the plant manages to end up with the stem up and roots down, regardless of how the seed landed in or on the soil. However, if you're like me, you'll likely also want to see at least a couple make it further out of their seed casings. In this case, I use a chopstick to make a very narrow hole in the soil, then carefully place the sprout into it, white root side down.

As Mark said, you'll start to hear people asking for help with seed caps not coming off. I recommend that you put the just-peeking-out ones in the soil and let them do their thing from there for this reason - pushing against the soil helps remove the seed cap from the plant. If a really, really stubborn one won't come off, you can CAREFULLY remove it (if you accidentally also remove the cotyledons, the plant will likely die.) To do so, spray the cap with water to get it soft, then use tweezers to pinch on the seam of the cap so that it opens the hole a tad wider, then GENTLY pull on it. If it won't come off easily, though, I suggest you let it alone and try again later.

I got some peroxide from work, gonna soak in 1 to ten H2O2 H20 solution for a few minutes before doing anything.
I have ten of each variety, probably gonna start 6 of each off to start just incase I screw it all up first time around.

I'm gonna start next week, so I'm trying to finalise my battle plan right now. I'm ready to go apart from waiting for my heat mat To arrive.

I got some peroxide from work, gonna soak in 1 to ten H2O2 H20 solution for a few minutes before doing anything.
I have ten of each variety, probably gonna start 6 of each off to start just incase I screw it all up first time around.

I'm gonna start next week, so I'm trying to finalise my battle plan right now. I'm ready to go apart from waiting for my heat mat To arrive.

Hey.

So I think I'm gonna start off my seeds using coffee filters and a ziplock.

I understand the theory, but what I can't work out is..

Once they germinate, which way up should I place them in the soil?

Seed bottom, sprout up. Or vice versa?

Or does it really not matter?

At the same time, opinions on putting seeds in the freezer before doing so?

Cheers!
George
It doesn't matter which position the seeds are set. The main concern is to not plant the seed to deep. I use a "Chop Stick"........I knew I'd have use for one some day....haThe stick is marked on the bottom (1/4") with a pen. I simply make sure the soil medium is pretty moist, then using it to poke a hole into each of the cells to be planted. The result....well all the seeds are planted at the same depth and and most sprout within a day or two of each other. That especially helps when needing to remove a humidity dome. Hey good luck with the grow......and post some photos of those "Hatching Seedlings"Greg

It doesn't matter which position the seeds are set. The main concern is to not plant the seed to deep. I use a "Chop Stick"........I knew I'd have use for one some day....haThe stick is marked on the bottom (1/4") with a pen. I simply make sure the soil medium is pretty moist, then using it to poke a hole into each of the cells to be planted. The result....well all the seeds are planted at the same depth and and most sprout within a day or two of each other. That especially helps when needing to remove a humidity dome. Hey good luck with the grow......and post some photos of those "Hatching Seedlings"Greg

Dude, if there's one thing I have - its plenty of spare chopsticks I can draw on and stick in dirt!
Only my wife and I in our apartment, someone explain to me why there's 2 dozen chopsticks in my drawer yet don't own a single dinner knife ;) haha

Yup, I'll be glogging ASAP!

Here's a liitle info about ways to plant a seed that I found while searching on the web a few months ago before starting some of my own..

As to which way to plant...vertical or flat

If seeds are planted such that sharp end was pointing up, the stem will grow straight up , using the seed tip as a spear head. But, will have thinner and taller stems, that are easier for it to break. The seed shell will often stay attached to the cotyledons and rip them as they enlarge, thus inviting disease in.

If seeds are planted flat end up, the stem will grow in an upside down "U" shape. so when you seed the seed leaves emerging, their tips are pointing down. Be similar to the hook apperence on emerging seedling.

Seeds that are planted flat will adjust to the condition and will push through the most smart and efficient way, programmed into their genetic makeup.

I've started quite a few seeds lately using the 'wet paper towel' as I've a hard time trying to get some seeds to germinate. Was totally amazing to seeds starting to 'pop out a root' in less than a week, while having some seeds started in starter mix that go as long as two weeks and not even show signs of germinating as of then.

The seeds in soil mix were not soaked in water before planting though and was wondering if that may have helped those to start quicker.

As for the 'wet papper towel' seedlings, I did at first notice as the root emerged from seed that it did start to grow down. Those that sat a few more days after root already popped stared to growing sideways being that it had no way to go but that ways between the flattened towels.

This in turn led for me to how long to wait after the root started to transplant to soil. Being that I got to the seed just as the root started, I could plant the seed flat with the root pointing downwards. As for the ones that were left a few days longer in towel, I had to plant with the seed in a vertical position. These planted vertically did finally pop out of soil faster, but did seem a little thinner in the stem than those planted flat. the flat planted seeds took a day longer to emerge but did seem thicker and even a little healthier.

Anyways, I'm probably going to start more seeds using the wet paper towel than transplant to soil mix, since I had more luck germinating this way.

Back