• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer ok what about fertilizer (natural)?

Okay this might seem wild but I have a small farm. Small farm with animals ie: rabbits, cows, and chickens. So I wonder if any one fertilizes the old fashion way? :P

oooh, i'm so jealous, when i get a place of my own i wanna raise chickens, and today at the co-op i saw someone with a four week old lamb. i think you have to compost the manure, right? it's not just poop and scoop...? i've heard good things about hen manure, but that was from someone selling hen manure...

Rabbit droppings can be used fresh just mix in your soil. The other two need to decompose first. Make a compost pile and you should have best looking plants better than fertilizer. I wish I had you as a friend nearby.

I wasn't sure about the compost pile thing but I got me a black plastic barrel to turn into a compost thingy. Has anyone made or tried this ? And if you lived a lil closer I let ya help inthe barn ......... pepper

Compost can get moldy and not always efficient.
I suggestion is making some home-made humus. Humus is a type of vermicompost, made by, well... red worms (surprise!).
The type you need is Eisenia fetida. just get some and feed them with your organic waste, they can take on anything organic. you feed them, and they'll give you the ultimate fertilizer.

Omri said:
I suggestion is making some home-made humus. Humus is a type of vermicompost, made by, well... red worms (surprise!).

not to be mistaken with hummus, which will do you no good in the garden but goes excellent with some pita...

GrumpyBear said:
not to be mistaken with hummus, which will do you no good in the garden but goes excellent with some pita...
Yes, hummus is a different thing. ;)
Both are great, though!

Still saying that humus is the way to go.
It's sterile, odorless and no doubt the most efficient natural fertilizer.
Most natural fertilizers need to decompose (breakdown of the material), but not humus. it is already the "end-product" (like an article I read, described). meaning it's FAST, but still good enough to be more than "one time thing".
It's also a great add-on to potting soil, with great soil qualities. even better for planting in ground! place a decent amount under what you plant.
Of course it doesn't mean your animal feces will not be in use. you can give it to the worms just like any other organic thing.

I used live horse crap as a soil amendment but let it sit for a few months in the soil before planting.

Live horse crap? I would say this is BS, but it cannot be!

Compost is great, perhaps the best natural fertilizer one can use. But it has to be completely decomposed, not something that sits around for a few months in summer and then applied to plants. I have probably a half-ton from this past year that I will spread on the garden this fall, then rotary till under.

Mike

My wife has a dog business and we feed our worm farms exclusively dog doo, as, we were told, the worms may get fussy if they are give nice veggie scraps then crap. The only thing we are super careful of is when dogs have been recently treated for worms, fleas, or just about any chemical as there is a chance of killing off the worms.

Okay this might seem wild but I have a small farm.

What size is small? 500 acres? 2 acres? Around here, small is anything less than a mile square.

If you are planning on going natural, and you have a largish area that you can rotate through, call your nearest cattle feed-lot and get a truck load from them, borrow/rent a manure spreader and then plough it in in the rotational season, as is done by wordwiz.

Chook shit is really strong. If you are planning on using it, I suggest a handful in a large bucket of water, leave it there for a day and then use a watering can to water bare soil a few days before planting. Otherwise, compost it, or till it in well ahead of time.

wordwiz said:
Live horse crap? I would say this is BS, but it cannot be!
Nope. I'll post more on the effects of it tomarrow (bit toasted right now). But the live stuff introduces alot of benificial bacteria.

I doubt many on here have access to them but tobacco stalks are perhaps among the best natural fertilizer I have ever used. We grew acres of plants and scattered them every year (usually in the winter - not a warm job). I put some on my yard one year and that grass stayed green all winter long. Of course, they are far more beneficial if you can spread them while they still have some sap in them.

Mike

Another thing you can do with the live horse poodo is fill a 5 gallon bucket with 1/4th live manure and 3/4 water. Let sit and stir it every once in a while. After a good two or three weeks, pour it out on the soil you want treated. Water it in nicely and then in a week, plant your plants.

Thank all for all the input. I have a very small farm so its not like I am growing acres of garden, yet. ha ha But I just have all this waste laying around and thought I could use it instead of the commerical stuff. I have tried chook waste before and almost burned up my plants. ( oh by the way I didnt know what a chook was but I am never to old to learn new things) I was thinking about making me a compost barrel and pile it up in the corner of my garden. But I will try anything once. I am growing nagas you know. And I will try one fresh . :onfire: And will be jumping up and down for relief lol. I really appreciate all the info

by the way I didnt know what a chook was...

Sorry, Aussie slang.

I once got "burnt" by chooks...

Some years ago, I was at a country pub and won 3rd prize in the Friday night raffle, "You can either have a frozen chook, or 2 hot ones!" yelled the barman over the din of the crowd.

Being young, and lazy in the kitchen, I piped up, "I'll take the hot ones thanks!" Immediately, 2 of the local seniors ladies golf team sidled up to me. "We're the two hot ones!":mouthonfire:

Carmel and Gladys are two of the nicest old "boilers" I have ever met. 10 yeares on, I still buy 'em beers when I see them!:cheers:

okie joe said:
Thank all for all the input. I have a very small farm so its not like I am growing acres of garden, yet. ha ha But I just have all this waste laying around and thought I could use it instead of the commerical stuff. I have tried chook waste before and almost burned up my plants. ( oh by the way I didnt know what a chook was but I am never to old to learn new things) I was thinking about making me a compost barrel and pile it up in the corner of my garden. But I will try anything once. I am growing nagas you know. And I will try one fresh . :onfire: And will be jumping up and down for relief lol. I really appreciate all the info
I'm recommending humus because I know how good it is.
Not making it, just buying it in packs. expensive stuff.
I'll be making my own soon, cause free is way better than expensive.
The worms cost a few dollars, and then they reproduce (900 baby worms for each year per worm).
Making humus takes a week to a month (depends on what they are breaking down, and how many worms).

You have to watch out for broilers they got experience and will definitely give ya a hard time. Cluck cluck next thing you know .........well I better not go there. Sounds like a place you can enjoy though.

I got fixed up in Germany when I was station there. I was 18 years and never been in the real world and the guys fixed me up with this mmmm nice looking gal. Well in the middle of the night they had a dance going on and she got up and did the wild thing. And low and behold she wasn't a she and I thought I had a hot one. loool And after that every new guy come in it was their turn . lol

Back