• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

healthyish Chicken Curry / Dopiaza

I was looking at a Dopiaza recipe on the internet and i kind of followed it basically but added a crapload of other spices myself so it's probably not a Dopiaza anymore.

Serves 2-4 people depending on how much you eat.

Ingredients:

500g skinless and boneless chicken breasts cut into nice big chunks
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (use whatever oil you like, grapeseed is healthy though)
2 medium onions finely chopped
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato puree
2 cinamon sticks
2 cardamom pods
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons garam masala

and i think that's about it for ingredients apart from whatever kind of chillis you want to use.

I started by grinding the cinnamon, cardamom pods and coriander seeds together in a mortar and pestle, then added all the other spices and mixed them together into what looked like a yellowish/brownish powder.

i fried the onions in the oil with 6 finely chopped scotch bonnets i bought from ASDA, until the onions were translucent (not quite going brown) then emptied in the tin of tomatoes and spices, then stirred in the tomato puree.

finally dumped in all the chicken and added some water because it was looking a bit thick.

Cook until the chicken is how you like it and the sauce has reduced down to the thickness you want.

You can use any chillies you like, after 6 scotch bonnets it was still on the mild side so added a teaspoon of Satan's Sh1t chilli paste for my personal preference.

If anyone tries it let me know how you get on, i'll probably try some other recipes soon.

This recipe is not correct. Dopiaza means onions two ways. You have onions one way. The best way to make this onion curry is to fry crispy onion strings and add them to the top when finished. And make sure you have enough onion flavor in the curry, almost like a French onion soup. The texture/flavor combo sets it off.

I'll post pics next time i make it.

I'm not a chef or anything, but it tastes pretty similar to what we get in the takeaways here in the UK, just healthier.

Back