• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Karl's (Hendrix1326) Post-Apocalyptic 2013 Glog!

Greetings, all! I'm sure there are a ton of new faces here on THP, as par for the course when I don't make many appearances for extended periods of time! Anyway, I wanted to get the foot back in the door with my 2013 Glog! I took a short break headed through the late autumn into the winter now, but a chilehead's work is never done once truly dedicated!

I've been piecing together my supplies for awhile now, and reinvested in some new Mylar emergency blankets to hang up in the corner of my laundry room, just like I did last year. This year, however, I have been using sticky Velcro strips to the walls and blankets for easy removal and reapplcation in years to come. So far, it's been wonderful.

I also recently went browsing on Amazon for my Botanicare plant foods, and will be adding Hydroplex food to the mix this year. First up, however, is ProGrow for the seedlings once they begin. I've been feeding my overwinters some Liquid Karma that I had left from last year, just to give them a little boost headed into springtime.

In addition to Hydroplex, I will be using a few other supplements to reinvigorate last year's "Mel's Mix", which I got from the Square Foot Gardening book, and it is an amazing mixture! I invested in some bone and blood meal, and some Tomato Tone. I also will be starting compost tea this year. I am beginning by purchasing some pre-blended tea bags, and then a book to familiarize myself with all facets, with the intent on fully implementing my own blends starting next year.

I also plan on mixing in some real-live compost to the soil, as well, just to give it a nice hearty boost. With this, however, I have to keep in mind that I will be mixing in other amendments, as well, and will be decreasing the amount of plant foods I feed the plants as the season progresses. All in all, I expect it to be a wonderful learning experience as I try out some new stuff, and build off what I did this past year. It should be quite fun, and of course, the peppers I harvest will be the ultimate fruits of my labors, to say the least!

Just earlier today I finished reconstructing my growing room, with all (3) bar light fixtures hanging from chains/pulleys just like last year. This method works so well, and was pretty cheap to assemble. I also set up shop with a small table and got my heating mat ready for germination time! I planted my seeds this afternoon, and can't wait to see some sprouts soon!

Here is my 2012 carry-overs:

1 - Pero Orange Sweet
2 - Anaheim
3 - Monkey Face
4 - Red Chile
5 - Aji Cito
6 - Yellow-Orange Bird Pepper
7 - Red Rocoto
8 - Peach Bhut Jolokia
9 - Red Aribibi Gusano Hybrid

And here are my 2013 new starts:

01 - Douglah
02 - NeBru
03 - Hurrican
04 - Cheiro Recife
05 - Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
06 - White Bhut Jolokia
07 - Yellow Fatali
08 - Peach Habalokia
09 - Red Sweet Banana
10 - Ancient Sweet
11 - Poblano
12 - Golden Cayenne
13 - Ring Of Fire Cayenne
14 - Thai Bird's Eye
15 - Purple Jalapeno
16 - Peter Pepper
17 - Aji Pineapple
18 - Birgits Locoto
19 - Brazilian Starfish
20 - CGN22184 C.Frutescens
21 - Tabasco
22 - Mixed C.Pubescens

And a late edition:

23 - Yellow Biquinho

In addition to the peppers, I started seeds for some Romanesco Broccoli, as well as a couple different kinds of flower seeds I received from a fellow THP member (IAmFCon). They are White Bird Of Paradise, and Blue Love In A Mist. Both look like really cool, pretty flowers, and I can't wait to see how they grow!

Pictures will be posted within the next few days, and for my YouTube followers, I will also begin my grow log update videos soon, as well. However, I may end up doing a video every 2 weeks instead of every week.

Well, that's all for now. Thanks for ducking in, and stay tuned for pictures and more frequent updates to come!

+1 Jamie.

Hey, Karl, great to see you in the glogosphere again, buddy!
Seeds in and lights ready; can't do better than that!
Looks like a pretty ambitious grow, and some great varieties.
Good luck messing with the tea thing.

Nice list and best wishes for your 2013 grow ... What do you mean by white bird of paridise? If it's this I grow them as well but not from seed, I start them from the roots (dividing the clumps). Currently have a few really large ones constantly blooming all year round. IIRC 3rd pic on first page of my glog you can see the trunks of the largest bird of paridise in my yard. Or are you talking about the bird of paridise which is much smaller and a bit different flower coloration?

Can't wait to follow your grow again Karl. I am sure it will be epic :party:

Thanks, Jamie!

+1 Jamie.

Hey, Karl, great to see you in the glogosphere again, buddy!
Seeds in and lights ready; can't do better than that!
Looks like a pretty ambitious grow, and some great varieties.
Good luck messing with the tea thing.

I appreciate the kind words, Paul. Yeah, I had some cool varieties that I was eager to try my hands at this year. Compost tea should be a fun new adventure, I've heard it does wonders for the root system, so I'm all about that!

you gonna try the cheiro roxa that i sent this year or saving for later? ;)

Hey, Najam, thanks for stopping by! As you can see, I opted for the Cheiro Recife you sent instead. It intrigued me, and there isn't much info on it. I figured since I grew CGN21500, which is very similar, this past year, I'd go for the more mysterious variety this year. I have so many types to try in years to come, I've actually made preliminary grow lists for 2014 and 2015 already, and Cheiro Roxa is on the table for next year, so worry not! :D

Nice list and best wishes for your 2013 grow ... What do you mean by white bird of paridise? If it's this I grow them as well but not from seed, I start them from the roots (dividing the clumps). Currently have a few really large ones constantly blooming all year round. IIRC 3rd pic on first page of my glog you can see the trunks of the largest bird of paridise in my yard. Or are you talking about the bird of paridise which is much smaller and a bit different flower coloration?

Thank you for ducking in. Yeah, that's those. The seeds are almost like willow seeds, combined with black beans, they have to be scarified to germinate properly, and the gentleman I got them from said they can still take upwards of 2 months to germinate! Looking forward to another new garden addition this year!

This is going to be a great follow. Best of luck this year

Thanks, Pia. Yes, I am looking much forward to it, as well. Can't wait for the seedlings to emerge!

Thank you for ducking in.
Not sure what to say, will QUACK do :D

Yeah, that's those. The seeds are almost like willow seeds, combined with black beans, they have to be scarified to germinate properly, and the gentleman I got them from said they can still take upwards of 2 months to germinate! Looking forward to another new garden addition this year!
Yes they are a nice addition in the garden and mine are constantly blooming. But if yours turn out anything like mine, you’ll need a good saw to keep them trimmed. Mine grow like weeds and I’m done with propagating more other than for friends, hehe. On another note if you want I’ll shoot some pics of the ones I have; in a pot, a few feet tall, a few feet taller and up to 15 plus feet tall, lol.

"I've actually made preliminary grow lists for 2014 and 2015 already,
and Cheiro Roxa is on the table for next year, so worry not! :D"
:rofl:

OCD is alive and well on THP!
You go, Hendrix!

"I've actually made preliminary grow lists for 2014 and 2015 already,
and Cheiro Roxa is on the table for next year, so worry not! :D"
:rofl:

OCD is alive and well on THP!
You go, Hendrix!

Yeah, it was a necessity to keep myself in check from nabbing any more seeds in trades, etc. I really need to reel myself in, so that was my way of grounding myself. It acted as a constant reminder of just how many kinds of seeds I have to choose from, and how many years worth of totally new growing I have ahead of me before my choices are exhausted!

All right, here goes: First images!

http://s1088.beta.ph...ddedcc.jpg.html
http://s1088.beta.ph...998e6b.jpg.html

Sorry I can't find a way to post the images directly from PhotoBucket, since they changed their interface. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Also, here is the running list of germination so far:
BOLD/ITALIC/UNDERLINE/RED = Germinated

C. Annuum
01 - Ancient Sweet
02 - Red Sweet Banana
03 - Thai Bird's Eye (1-21)
04 - Golden Cayenne
05 - Ring Of Fire Cayenne (1-21)
06 - Purple Jalapeno (1-21)
07 - Peter Pepper (1-22)
08 - Poblano

C.Baccatum
09 - Aji Pineapple (1-21)
10 - Birgits Locoto (1-21)
11 - Brazilian Starfish

C.Chinense
12 - 7-Pot Douglah
13 - 7-Pot NeBru
14 - Cheiro Recife (1-21)
15 - Peach Habalokia
16 - Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
17 - White Bhut Jolokia (1-21)
18 - Yellow Fatali
19 - Hurrican (1-22)

C.Frutescens
20 - CGN22184 (1-21)
21 - Tabasco

C.Pubescens
22 - Mixed

So, 10 out of 22 sprouted, not bad! Another week or two, and I will be transplanting the little seedlings into Solo cups and labeling them. I wanted to conclude by thanking the following peeps here on THP, as well as some YouTubers who have sent me pods/seeds that I am growing this year:

Hammerfall: Thai Bird's Eye, Ring Of Fire Cayenne
Scarlet Fire: Purple Jalapeno
rolandawesome2 (youtube): Golden Cayenne
Pulpiteer: Aji Pineapple
Sick625: Birgits Locoto, Brazilian Starfish
WhamGenetics: 7-Pot NeBru
PepperJam: Cheiro Recife
tmudder: Peach Habalokia
Brandon Pitti (youtube): White Bhut Jolokia
2gods: Hurrican
ZanderSpice: CGN22184
ParisHumphrey: Tabasco
smokemaster: Mixed C.Pubescens

The rest of my seeds were either obtained from pods I bought at the store, or from local fruit stands, or from seed vendors on eBay that I can't remember who they are anymore! Except the Douglah, which is from someone here on THP, but I can't find out who it was :confused:

Ta ta for now!
Karl

I agree nice mix of pepper plants... I too have some Bird of Paradise seeds, from Hawaii. The seeds are candy corn color and plants produce orange plumbs. I didn't winterover the plants this year. I still have some seeds and will get them started soon.Soaking them them in a germination solution for a couple days helps soften them up, rinse them under warm water and run an exacto knife across the top of the hull before setting them in the "dirt"
Good luck with your pepper startup...

Greg.

Quick update again today, I just peeked in on the sprouts, and saw the Peach Habalokia and Poblano have hooked out of the peat! That brings my total to 12 sprouts in 2 days, sweet!

Updated list of germination so far:
BOLD/ITALIC/UNDERLINE/RED = Germinated

C. Annuum
01 - Ancient Sweet
02 - Red Sweet Banana
03 - Thai Bird's Eye (1-21)
04 - Golden Cayenne
05 - Ring Of Fire Cayenne (1-21)
06 - Purple Jalapeno (1-21)
07 - Peter Pepper (1-22)
08 - Poblano (1-22)

C.Baccatum
09 - Aji Pineapple (1-21)
10 - Birgits Locoto (1-21)
11 - Brazilian Starfish

C.Chinense
12 - 7-Pot Douglah
13 - 7-Pot NeBru
14 - Cheiro Recife (1-21)
15 - Peach Habalokia (1-21)
16 - Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
17 - White Bhut Jolokia (1-21)
18 - Yellow Fatali
19 - Hurrican (1-22)

C.Frutescens
20 - CGN22184 (1-21)
21 - Tabasco

C.Pubescens
22 - Mixed

Indeed. Nice list. I follow your pepper reviews. Your up to pepper 160 now or so?!? Keep up the grow. And will peek here and there when updates are made

... Yeah, that's those. The seeds are almost like willow seeds, combined with black beans, they have to be scarified to germinate properly, and the gentleman I got them from said they can still take upwards of 2 months to germinate! Looking forward to another new garden addition this year! ...

I posted some pictures of our white birds of paradise if you are interested in looking how big they can get and I cut down the largest of dem, lol. I posted them for you as ever time I see them now, they remind me of your glog, look at this post here in my glog ... BTW from the root ball it doesn't take me 2 months, but yea I know germaination can be a bitch, heck it's almost as big as the baby picture I posted in 2 months. BTW great mixture of pepper plants on da list mon :)

Nice range of heat and flavor you have for this year.

Thanks, Brian! I saved some seeds from those Yellow hybrids you sent, but they didn't make the cut this year, I just have too many to choose from that I had to pare down! I also took into account that my son loves sweet peppers (2 1/2 years old), but won't touch even the mildest hot peppers.

I agree nice mix of pepper plants... I too have some Bird of Paradise seeds, from Hawaii. The seeds are candy corn color and plants produce orange plumbs. I didn't winterover the plants this year. I still have some seeds and will get them started soon.Soaking them them in a germination solution for a couple days helps soften them up, rinse them under warm water and run an exacto knife across the top of the hull before setting them in the "dirt"
Good luck with your pepper startup...

Greg.

Thanks for the kind words, Greg. I'll see how these Birds turn out. If not, I can try again, since I have a few more seeds left. What kind of solution do you use to soak them in? I've heard of people using hydrogen peroxide and water, or bleach, any number of things. I personally wouldn't use bleach, but peroxide, I can understand killing mold spores, etc. Let me know, so I can possibly implement that solution to my repertoire in the future!

m
Indeed. Nice list. I follow your pepper reviews. Your up to pepper 160 now or so?!? Keep up the grow. And will peek here and there when updates are made

Thanks, DeNNiZ, and also for following my chili tests! I'm actually up around 240 uploaded, but I have about 260 filmed, and just haven't gotten around to uploading them yet!

I posted some pictures of our white birds of paradise if you are interested in looking how big they can get and I cut down the largest of dem, lol. I posted them for you as ever time I see them now, they remind me of your glog, look at this post here in my glog ... BTW from the root ball it doesn't take me 2 months, but yea I know germaination can be a bitch, heck it's almost as big as the baby picture I posted in 2 months. BTW great mixture of pepper plants on da list mon :)

Sweet pics of the other plants, gotta dig the orchids! Those Birds are HUGE! I'm not sure they'd get that big in my climate, unless I put them indoors for the winter and under lights. In any case, I look forward to them! Thanks for stopping by!

Back