• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2 peppers and a pot

Well Im bored and have been doing some thinking. A few years ago when I had barely any knowledge of growing peppers I had put 3 jalapeno plants outside on my deck and grew them in a 5 gallon bucket and they seemed to produce quite well, even having 3 of them in one bucket. As my seedlings get bigger, Im debating on whether or not to thin them out or let them be to say 2 or 3 and have them all go into a big pot together. Does anyone keep more then 1 plant in a pot eventually, or does anyone have any experience with more then 1 plant in a pot. There are quite a few benefits of having more then 1 plant in a pot, but then again there are the disadvantages. Having more then 1 plant will greatly protect the plants from intense direct sun with more shading due to having more leaves etc but will most likely limit each plant on production somewhat. Just wondering what some peoples opinions where on that matter.

I never put more than 1 plant per pot or they get rootbound or compete for space and never end up the same size as one grown single. I see the shading as more of a disadvantage than an advantage, the more sun exposure the better usually.

1 plant per 5 gallon bucket, if you have a much bigger container then I'd say ok for a couple plants per container but not a 5 gallon bucket.

It is purely a function of space. If all you have is a few 5 gallon buckets, you can be damned sure that I would hve 3 or 4 varieties in each.
If you have the room to have them all alone then do it. If not, 3 plants that are 3/4 size are still more than twice as much plant as one that is full size.

Yea I guess that is true. I will have to wait and find out how many I actually want to put outside and take it from there I probably have a good 10 5 gallons out from a few years ago, just have to clean them etc so maybe 1 in each will due alright.

eh, if i was in a house all by myself all the time i would go crazy. It all depends ;) I guess i'll wait and see how many i have and how many I give away versus how many i want to plant

I'll mirror what everyone else is saying. Only one plant per pot, ALWAYS. Alot of these guys are root intensive (especially C. Chinense) and they will strangle each other.

rainbowberry said:
you wouldn't want to share your house with your neighbour would you?

well that all depends on how beautiful she is :lol:
as for the plants you never know maybe a annuum wouldnt mind shacking up with a hot chinense :lol::rolleyes:

Back