• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Oak Barrel Fermentation

Hey guys!

I have a 2 liters (about half gallon) oak barrel that I use to serve beverage from, sometimes. I bought it new, and used it only twice, so the oak flavor is still really intense. I might use it to age beer once or twice again, but I'm considering the idea of recycle it for pepper fermentation this summer.

The basic plan is to fill the barrel with some whisky (scotch, bourbon...we'll see), drink the whisky, and then fill the barrel with some habaneros, jalapenos, jamaican hot chocolate, etc... and let it sit for 12 months. So, one batch a year in this whisky-soaked-oak-barrel.

Is there any specific information I should know about oak barrel fermentation?

About sanitation, I bought this barrel brand new, and always observed the maintenance/cleaning recommandations. I rinse thoroughly and use Sodium Metabisulfites for 24h before and after each use, and always keep the barrel full of clean water when not used. So the barrel have no leak, and no funky taste, so I guess not contaminated.

I'm thinkin to use the Tabasco method and pour a ''salt top'' on the barrel to prevent any nasty bacteria to get into it, and only count on wood porosity to vent out the Co2, so it means no airlock.

If I'm wrong somewhere in the process, let me know!

Thanks for the help, and please share your own experiences!!!

Cheers!

Sounds good Fatalalanus.
I just used some toasted white oak that I cut into about 1" peices and then toast them in the oven or with my propane torch and just put them in gallon jars while it ferments for 1 year....

Sounds good Fatalalanus.
I just used some toasted white oak that I cut into about 1" peices and then toast them in the oven or with my propane torch and just put them in gallon jars while it ferments for 1 year....

Sounds good! I had this idea too, but since I have the barrel...
Actually, the inside of the barrel is medium charred. Maybe I'll char it even more with a torch when I'll open it, before I pour whisky in it. I'll see.
Some smoked peppers in it would be amazing too... !

You said you might do some beer in it, just remember that the lacto is going to get into the wood and any beer you make might just come out as a sour beer. Not sure if the sanatizing solution would kill only the surfacge bacteria or if it will get deep enough into the wood to kill it all. Just a thought.

You said you might do some beer in it, just remember that the lacto is going to get into the wood and any beer you make might just come out as a sour beer. Not sure if the sanatizing solution would kill only the surfacge bacteria or if it will get deep enough into the wood to kill it all. Just a thought.

Of course. I meant, I will maybe age beer in it one or twice before I recycle it for pepper ;)

Does the mini barrel have a bung? At the winery at the end of use we do a complete water rinse, then hit it with sulfur gas and put the bung back in and replace it back on the rack. Every so often we hit them again with sulfur.When wine was inside, we use metabyte at measured levels. No one I knew stored them with water in them. We used enough all ready. I would think if you stored it with water to add 45-60 ppm of metabyte and adjust every month or two. Do a full water rinse before using again. We used a ozone machine. On barrels, the 1st time you use a barrel it imparts the greatest oak influence The next time you use it, its called 2nd fill. About half the oak influence. The 3rd time and after that,it is a neutral barrel. Just a holding vessel with no oak influence. You do have to worry about putting beer in it. Low alc. levels and lower acids are much easier for things to go off. The hard stuff would be safer. It is just the matter if the flavor works with peppers or not. pp

ps If the barrel has been stored dry you will need to fill it with water and let the wood expand to see if it still holds liquid. You might have to do a repair.

Does the mini barrel have a bung? At the winery at the end of harvest we do a complete water rinse, then hit it with sulfur gas and put the bung back in and replace it back on the rack. Every so often we hit them again with sulfur.When wine was inside, we used metabyte at measured levels. No one I knew stored them with water in them. We used enough all ready. I would think if you stored it with water to add 45-60 ppm of metabyte and adjust every month or two. Do a full water rinse before using again. We used a ozone machine. On barrels, the 1st time you use a barrel it imparts the greatest oak influence The next time you use it, its called 2nd fill. About half the oak influence. The 3rd time and after that,it is a neutral barrel. Just a holding vessel with no oak influence. You do have to worry about putting beer in it. Low alc. levels and lower acids are much easier for things to go off. The hard stuff would be safer. It is just the matter if the flavor works with peppers or not. pp

That is good information. I might keep it only for peppers then. Oak chips works great for beer anyway.
The barrel looks a bit like this.
oak+barrels+kegs+casks.jpg

My plan is to plug both holes with oak plugs, then open the front ''panel'' to access the Inside. For the fermentation, I would keep the barrel vertical, then replace the front panel and pour a salt top over the barrel.

Remember to soak the bung and spout in a metabyte solution too. Or the plugs? or whatever you plan to use. Do not use a clorine based disinfectant with a wood based product. You would take the risk of your peppers smelling 'corked'.

We use a barrel washing device and run it until clear water comes out, then gas them.
IMG_4608JPG1_zpse0f293ce.jpg

Remember to soak the bung and spout in a metabyte solution too. Or the plugs? or whatever you plan to use. Do not use a clorine based disinfectant with a wood based product. You would take the risk of your peppers smelling 'corked'.

We use a barrel washing device and run it until clear water comes out, then gas them.
IMG_4608JPG1_zpse0f293ce.jpg

Yes, everything is going in a metabisulfite solution, even the spigot and bung (whic is a cork). But I'll change them for tight fit hardwood plugs, and of course they will sulfite them. I never used chlorine based or oxy-based sanitizer on the barrel, only clean water and metabisulfites.

So before I use it as my fermenter, I will:
-Rinse thoroughly
-Soak with a metabisulfite solution for 24h
-Rinse thorougly again
-Soak with bourbon or whisky for about a week, turning the barrel everyday (if not completly filled up)
-Drain out the whisky and begin the fermentation.

Tell me if I'm wrong somewhere!
Thanks again!

If you could fill the barrel with the hard stuff it would help. \
The other option is to go to a wine shop and get a can of wine preserve. About 10 bucks.Then put your whisky in the mini barrel, quarter, half full or whatever, It is a can of nitrogen. Pull the bung, spray for 5-10 secs, then put the bung back in. This will add a layer of protection. pp

I will consider the idea for future sauces. But since we have the barrel, why not. I mean, in the worst scenario, we lost half a gallon.

If I had one I'd give it a go..Like you said all you could lose is maybe a half a gallon. Would be fun just to try it..
But like pepperproblem said If you have used it before just how much oak tannins and flavor would get into the sauce...

If I had one I'd give it a go..Like you said all you could lose is maybe a half a gallon. Would be fun just to try it..
But like pepperproblem said If you have used it before just how much oak tannins and flavor would get into the sauce...

There are still some oak tannins, I know simply because I tasted the water that is the barrel, and it's still tasting oak. Anyway, as I said, I will also soak it with bourbon before to pump up the flavors!

All i'm wondering right now is... keep it filled, or keep it dry. I hear both recommandations...

Back