• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Mexican Food

Ok so here is a new thread dedicated towards traditional/authentic Mexican Food. Now i suppose this can be a fairly broad range, but hopefully it can also be for discussion and ideas for some more authentic flavoured dishes.

So this first dish that i have put together, I only have recently discovered. Went to a "Authentic Mexican" restaurant in the city, and this dish was on the menu. Sounded very interesting, a strange combination of flavours. but when tasted was brilliant.

POLLO EN MOLE POBLANO

After some discussion through the THP, a member was kind enough to send me some ingredients and guidance from half way across the world so that i could re-create this dish. CHEERS!!!!!

I now had all the ingredients and the vital Tequila, to quench my thirst as i was about to cook up a storm in the kitchen. Music blaring, stovetop smoking, oven heating, Ready to Rock

First of all, a shot of tequila!!

SDC11897.JPG

SDC11898.JPG

Whole chicken was cut up into sections, thrown in a big pot, covered with chicken broth, onion cutup and added, and a whole heap of garlic cloves thrown in for good measure. Let that simmer away

SDC11899.JPG

Next thing was to get the chilis and some tortillas crispy. In the oven they go.

Another shot of tequila

SDC11900.JPG

Toast some seeds and nuts in the pan

SDC11901.JPG

Once the chicken was done, strain, removed all bones and skin. Discard the onion and garlic, but kept the broth.

SDC11903.JPG

Nice and crisp

Another, Why not?

SDC11904.JPG

Removed the stems and seeds from the chilis

SDC11905.JPG

Placed all the chilis, tortillas and some other ingredients in the blender. Added some broth, then pureed to a nice consistency

SDC11906.JPG

Look at the color

SDC11908.JPG

Started to melt the butter and chocolate

SDC11907.JPG

Tequila!!! Things were really heating up

SDC11910.JPG

Yummm

SDC11912.JPG

While this was all going ahead, i thought i would try to make some Queso, hmmmm not sure if it really did work, but it did taste very good. Extra sharp cheddar and scovie powder

SDC11913.JPG

Now the puree sauce is combined with the choc butter mix and cooked

SDC11914.JPG

Chicken got thrown in the mix, nearly getting ready to plate up. By this stage the tequila may have started to have a little bit of an effect on me. By i was smiling from ear to ear

SDC11916.JPG

Some sort of Queso, little bit more Mac n Cheese style, and some Mole

SDC11918.JPG

Plating up, couple of tortillas, some queso and a fresh little salsa. All of this tasted great. Maybe a little more tequila as well

SDC11921.JPG

SDC11923.JPG

This mole tasted great, hopefully i have done the dish some justice either way. Was a really fun day, trying something new and look forward to some more authentic dishes that we can all try.
Definitely need to work on my queso skills.

SDC11924.JPG

SDC11926.JPG

Now that this was all done, had a full belly, it was time to have a drink.........

SDC11927.JPG

I would bury my face in that and not come up until I could not breathe. That is divine eats right there.

Nice! Booma, just from your story alone I knew who you were referencing. And I KNOW that mole was awesome. Almost brings a tear to my eye.

You did it justice. Now say "you're welcome" to that chicken.

So COOL that we can share recipes across the globe! Is that Scovie's mole recipe? He makes a mean one - ask him for it, if not!

That looks outstanding. Not to take away from the food but I notice the decline in the volume of tequila in that bottle from the first shot to the last is quite impressive. Can't tell if that's a 1.75 liter of Tequilllllla, but if it is you've got to feeling GREAT right now :drunk:

I've had a mole that seemed to be made the same way...
And it was AMAZING!!!
You did it justice, too! Great job, boom!
Your stuff always kicks ass!

So COOL that we can share recipes across the globe! Is that Scovie's mole recipe? He makes a mean one - ask him for it, if not!

I may have to do that.....Hmmm

Also cheers everyone
That looks outstanding. Not to take away from the food but I notice the decline in the volume of tequila in that bottle from the first shot to the last is quite impressive. Can't tell if that's a 1.75 liter of Tequilllllla, but if it is you've got to feeling GREAT right now :drunk:

Nah only a baby, 700ml, still all gone though. Felt FANTASTIC today hahahaha, knocked back some chili dogs and venison jerky and was 100%

Nice job Booma! The same dish made with Turkey is one of the oldest recipes in Mexico. I wanna see what you do with Tamales...

That's the thread I was trying to follow, every time I mix butter and flour though, turns out way to thick. Kept adding cream to thin it but no luck.

Back