• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Who here eats whole superhots?

So I've been wondering--how many people actually eat whole pods at once? I'm talking superhots of course. I personally haven't got the tolerance, yet, as I only add enough fresh or powdered to make my food hot. I can't even imagine the pain of eating whole ones. So why do you do it, other than the thrill? Has anyone ever gotten to the point where superhots are easy and everything tastes bland in comparison?

I'm usually dumb enough to eat 10 or so each fall... it seems, for my wifes amusement.. .. and to keep the milk man employed... lol

i have eaten yellow 7 pods i grew, jolokia giants, and original 7 pod reds , provided by a friend the original 7 pod red kicked my butt in all i have eaten less than a dozen hole total i enjoy em but more mixed with food i think i like em after the first few min the endorfin rush is worth the pain :mouthonfire: :woohoo:

I eat them for the rush because the only flavor is when u first bite into them . I reference it to getting a tattoo. Check out my youtube and you wil see thebiz0177

Yeah, I've done it. Many times. But there's nothing great about it.
I much prefer cooking with fresh, fresh/frozen, dried, powdered and sauced chilis.
I always taste fresh pods, just a little piece to get the flavor of what I'm cooking with.

I recommend eating fresh pods in small amounts, and work your way up to more if you want.
But IMO the real beauty of superhots involves chorizo, cheese, eggs, tortillas, etc, and the like.

I did it once and will probably do it again. My one and only super hot pod was a butch T and it was hell on my stomach and caused extensive damages to my back door... But I will probably eat more as this is my first super hot season and I can imagine eating your own peppers must bring some sort of fulfillment.

No but I'm working up to it. Had 4 bih jolokias in some indian food last night and even though I only had half a serve, (two pods worth) it still warmed up the throne today.

I have eaten plenty, and aside from the amusement for others, it is never a 'fun' experience. I mean, if you enjoy feeling like your insides are rotting, then it is great! I have probably tried 75-100 supers, and only got a for real rush once or twice. I get the endorphines every time, but there were only one or two occasions where I really 'got it'.

I enjoy eaiting a bite or a piece of one when I deseed, sauce, or dry. Other than that, I cook with them or eat some with food.

I've done it a few times, and each time the results were pretty bad. Capsaicin cramps can be downright brutal!

I much rather prefer slicing them up and cooking with them, instead of eating them whole.

I'll usually only do it for reviews. When I was first getting into eating supers, I did it just to see how it felt. It hurt really bad, but I guess I have a sadistic side to me in which I kept wanting more. But I doubt I'll ever get to the point where I'm just sitting down with a bowl of Bhuts chomping on them for a snack. Others have mentioned the rush you get. I used to get a rush off of each one I ate. But as my tolerance increased it took hotter and hotter pods to give me a good rush of endorphines.

I eat them right off the plant every once in a while to get the full heat and flavor and think about what kind of food they'd be good in, see how to adjust their growing to get them hotter, and how i can combine them with each other in sauces. I prefer to chop them up and put them in food, but yes it gets to the point where i can't taste the heat in other peppers whatsoever and things begin to taste bland without superhots. I had a jalapeno squirt in my eye at the end of last season and it didn't even affect me because it's happened so many times with bhuts, nagas, and brainstrains. I wouldn't say they ever get "easy" to eat by themselves unless you know where the ribs are and nibble off the flesh inbetween. I could do that all day. deeeeeelish!

I have eaten most of a ghost pepper. [put the rest in the stir fry that I was making] -- I can't say that it is something that I would do often. To me, the heat compliments dishes, but when you can't taste anything, it kind of ruins the eating experience. I don't even mind trying little slivers of superhots. But having to take a day off of work because you purposefully ate something is kind of hard to explain to the boss. ;)

I've eaten 7 pot varieties bhut jolokias (not that hot anymore), bih jolokias (not that hot to me anymore), naga moriches (really not that hot), TS Butch T.s, SBJ7s, and Primos whole. My tolerance is extremely high. My body doesn't react too negatively towards capsaicin. If they give me stomach cramps, a glass of milk stops them. I eat them to see where my tolerance is at and to increase it. Chiles that are not superhot are not hot to me. They are only bland to me in the sense that they don't have heat (cayennes have no heat to me, which sucks because I use them for flavor a lot), but I can taste flavors that the heat distracts others from (I'm trying to breed less hot peppers so others can taste the flavors they are missing out on). The downside is that I'll think a pepper is not hot and give it to someone and they will be in agony (nobody I knows trusts my judgement on the heat level of chiles).

Edit: I always have to use 7 pot Jonah puree or flakes to spice up my food, lol. Of course other superhots would do the trick. I just find that the flavor is generally good and mild. So, I end up adding cayenne (I'm used to using that in my food) with 7 pot Jonahs in my cooking.

I've eaten 7 pot varieties bhut jolokias (not that hot anymore), bih jolokias (not that hot to me anymore), naga moriches (really not that hot), TS Butch T.s, SBJ7s, and Primos whole. My tolerance is extremely high. My body doesn't react too negatively towards capsaicin. If they give me stomach cramps, a glass of milk stops them. I eat them to see where my tolerance is at and to increase it. Chiles that are not superhot are not hot to me. They are only bland to me in the sense that they don't have heat (cayennes have no heat to me, which sucks because I use them for flavor a lot), but I can taste flavors that the heat distracts others from (I'm trying to breed less hot peppers so others can taste the flavors they are missing out on). The downside is that I'll think a pepper is not hot and give it to someone and they will be in agony (nobody I knows trusts my judgement on the heat level of chiles).

I hear ya mate. Cayenne used to be one of my favorite peppers. Down here we use it in everything. It's cheap, and wildly abundant. I still love the flavor, but I can't get my heat fix with it anymore. I found that Habaneros made for a good substitute, but that's not quite filling the void like it used to. For lunch I had a couple pieces of pizza smothered with a sample pack of Joyner's Golden Habanero. Good heat and flavor, but I had to use so much powder that it tasted overwhelmingly like habanero.

Superhots still burn the ever loving daylight out of me. I think I've got a ways to go until I will eat one whole.

I was actually surprised the last times I ate one by how much my tolerance has increased. Now that said, one was a 7-pot Jonah, which may or may not be considered a "superhot" (I thought it was pretty damn hot)....the other was a yellow brain strain from pepperlover.com and that think seriously kicked my ass, but nowhere near as much as the Bhut I'd eaten a few years ago. And I'm pretty sure the brain strain was hotter than the Bhut - I just think i can handle it better now.

That said, I still find the experience far less pleasant than chopping one up and sprinkling it on food. That is much more palpable, and does not result in the stomach cramps that eating a whole pod often does for me.

I think that's just me getting old though. heh

Back