• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

THE SETUP

Well, my t5 setup has finally arrived. I got a 2 foot 4 bulb setup with full spectrum bulbs 2 3000k warm and 2 6500k blue. Now the only concern is getting it hanging up. I'm going to have to fiddle around with my shelf in my room to get this set up . Any suggestions on hanging them?

3.jpg

2-1.jpg

Yea it has the wire hanging things on the back, I just have to get some material to hold it up. I got two 6500 and two 3000. I want to have some plants in year round just for fun, otherwise i would of just got all 6500.

Yeah, but are they in that order? because if not, one line of seedlings will get 6500K only and one will get 3000K. if so, what's the point of having both?

Straticus said:
Well, my t5 setup has finally arrived. I got a 2 foot 4 bulb setup with full spectrum bulbs 2 3000k warm and 2 6500k blue. Now the only concern is getting it hanging up. I'm going to have to fiddle around with my shelf in my room to get this set up . Any suggestions on hanging them?

Go to home depot or your local hardware store. Go to the hardware section and you will find some small hooks with threads on one end and a hook on the other. These are what I use to hang my lights when I have to go into wood or particle board. Then you can use twine, string, or anything to hang them with. I would recommend some small link chain that will allow you to adjust the end of the lights about 1/2" at the time (I use the small link chain that comes with the shop lights)

GrumpyBear said:
buy AJ a plane ticket to maryland. it'll be well worth it in the end.

I did see a guitar (or 2) to the right behind the trash can did't I?....we could get some jam on I suppose....

Straticus said:
Yes you did :) Fender stratacoustic and some old ibanez electric, not a big fan of the electric though

Martin JC16-GTRE
Martin HD-35
Nartin D-45
Kentucky 700 series Mandolin
and a mandolin I am having special made. I ordered it almost 3 years ago.

I had a 76 Martin HD-28 but let it get away from me.

Thats crazy. I was into it big a while ago, but it turns out the 2 hobbies work with each other very well, that is growing peppers and playing guitar

Straticus said:
So should I just switch to one spectrum alone then, and forget about the 2 6500 and the 2 3000? So just go all 6500?

keep the two kinds of bulbs, just do what omri was saying and put them in alternating order inside the fixture. so 6500 3000 6500 3000 instead of the two 6500 beside each other and then the two 3000 beside each other.

Yea, thats how I have them set up. Got a few pics but my camera on my phone isnt the best, and Im to lazy to go find my digi cam. Sorry. I hooked them up with some 95 pound test nylon rope for the time being.

3-1.jpg

4.jpg

2-1-1.jpg

I'm starting to wonder about this whole lighting thing. Okay, I can see the value when starting seeds in a bedroom, corner closet, a section of the garage - things like AJ does. At the same time, I have some plants that are too big to keep under lights so I have them on a table, about two feet from a window. The window is covered with plastic (I live in a very old house with crappy windows) and the plants get only about six hours of direct sunlight a day, with a total of about 10 hours. They are doing as well as, and probably better than the plants under the lights.

Plus, I doubt greenhouses use artificial lighting. At least the ones I have visited don't. Their plants don't get leggy - they start them in tiny seed trays, let them grow until they are completely root bound, then put them in 4-inch pots.

Something to consider???

Mike

I dont know, i guess its a matter of what you're trying to accomplish. I want to keep atleast one pepper plant inside for the year and so how well it compares to the plants that are outside, probably not near as good, but I guess that will prove to me how much the lights that I have really work or not etc. Its not like I really went all out and got some insane fixture, just something better then the CFL's I had :)

One suggestion I have that will help on the light situation is put something reflective on the inside surfaces. I use mylar on the inside of my "grow boxes". It is supposed to improve the lighting efficiency...someone said by about 20%.

The plants I have in my larger grow box are doing well, but they are experiencing a lot of flower/fruit drop. I assume that is just the way it is trying to grow under fluros inside. It won't be long before I can start setting the plants outside on days I am home or when it is supposed to be really nice outside...

Yuppers, I've already ordered a nice roll of it for like 25 dollars I believe? Around there, after that I should be all set !

that 25 foot roll will last you for a while with your set up...the 25' 1 mil roll I had was 5' wide so you will have plenty....I think I paid around 25 for it too.

Back