• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic when to transplant? hydroponics?

i have been wondering when should i transplant my pepper plants from the disposable cups there in i could see roots coming out the bottom but im not sure if they are ready or not. when do you guys transplant them into bigger pots? and i have noticed a rise in population of little black flies there alot of the i am growing indoors so its annoying how can i get rid of then and are they bad? also if anyone knows about hydroponics i am thinking of buying a unit and want to know if i can wash away the dirt or do i have to start from seed?

DSC00155_zps62ef396a.jpg
[/img]

DSC00154_zpsfe4922b7.jpg
[/img]

DSC00153_zpsb6ee2953.jpg
[/img]

Plant them when i see they are getting root packed. Just dig down into the surface and see how well the roots are established and then transplant.

You can wash away the dirt. Do it gently and them plant in net pot with expanded clay or whatever medium you want to use. There should be no problems with that but do not wait for them to get too large before you decide to wash them off and transfer them to the hydroponic system.

Those are definitely big enough to re-pot without any problems. Little black flies could be fungus gnats, fruit flies, or something else entirely. Odds are good that they're more of a nuisance than harmful to anything.

Hydroponics is a pretty broad field. Are you looking at a Deep Water Culture unit? There may be some shock involved, but you can rinse off the roots and you should be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHD2BJyIjWk
this shows going from hydro to soil and from soil to hydro if u r interested

i don't think so i did with my ghost pepper and that was 2 years ago still going strong just use luje warm water when u do it and very gentle stream

thanks and yes sudostahp. one more question how much longer do you think i could keep my plants in those cups?

Really depends on their roots. It's probably time to give them a new home, but as long as you've got nutrients and good water/drainage you should be fine for a while longer.

Never too small to transplant to hydroponics! You may just need to continue top watering until roots grow down into nutrient solution.

IMG_7094_zps23698891.jpg

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]and i have noticed a rise in population of little black flies there alot of the i am growing indoors so its annoying how can i get rid of then and are they bad?[/background]

Probably fungus gnats and yes they are bad. The larva will eat the roots of all of your baby plants. Trap the adults on fly paper and kill the larva with chemicals (just google it). If you don't, you will loose many plants to the gnats, ask me how I know.

Back