• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: FINAL Grow List before new 2014 glog

Began 2013 yesterday morning. 12 hour soak seed soak in potassium nitrate and H202 (diluted) in ice trays. Kept warm on heat mats. Mix is Promix BX with a lot of perlite added. Pre-moistened, then put in 72 cell 6 pack flats and bottom watered on heat mat to fully wet mix with Actinovate, kelp, Biotamax--a sliver--then drained, aerated with fork, then back to mats to await seeds. Lost a few seeds as I'm handier with turkey baster (obviously from seeds left in bulb when clean-up) when it's used for Q or turkey, but have plenty of viable seeds. Trying to prevent damping off. Seeds from Chris, Jamie (Romy6), Ed, Judy (pepperlover.com), peppergal, peppermania, Baker Creek, Trade Winds, Tomato Grower's Supply, My Patriot Supply . . . and my own saved. Now to prevent damping off. Have ordered Pyrethrin to go with Actinovate, lots of fans, soil temps were 85 this morning when wood stove was dying, restoked, back up to 90F, soil temps (sorry, no pic), as while carrying in wood in our ice and snow/ice storm yesterday morning, I fell. Sorta fell. Falling would have hurt less: why do we try to stop the inevitable? This is my first grow of superhots, so please, any suggestions?! Lemme know, please. Right now the domes are on again, but will be slanting them off in a couple days, if not sooner, and always, flats get 20 minutes fresh air in morning. (Freezing but fresh air <grin>.)

Anns2013Glogsuperhotsinaflat.jpg

Anns2013Glogsuperhot2.jpg

Anns2013Glogfanonflats.jpg

Lights and mylar box--other side of shelving unit is large white sheet (and I know the mylar is crinkled). Also there's some diluted Clorox gunk am gonna get off, but for now, I like the idea of diluted Clorox gunk.
Anns2013Gloggrowlights.jpg

Anns2013Gloglightsmylarupclose.jpg

Other side lights: fans

Anns2013Gloglightswithfans.jpg

Thanks to so many helpful members here. I hope these seeds hook, live long, prosper, aka do not damp-off. Updates, I hope :rolleyes:. Peace, Annie

Hiya Pepproblem! Panted 27 varieties yesterday, will begin another 25-30 in few days--doing some more manzanos, etc.--be 80 varieties pepper in all, including some sweets, and cool stuff Judy sent.

I meant to post this plant seeding:

Harold St. Bart's, Caribbean Red, Fatalii, Choc Hab, Jamaican Hot Choc, Datil, Scotch Bonnet, Bonda Ma Jacques, Naga X Brain, Douglah, Trini Scorp Moruga Blend, 7 Pod Brain Yellow, 7 Pod yellow regular and giant, Peach Bhut (hmm, stability?), Naga Morich, Trini Perfume, Choc Bhut, Trini Scorp CARDI, 7 Pod Burgundy, Inca Red Drop, Aji Limon, Tabasco, Red Thai, Orange Thai, Orange Manzano. Think planted Murupi Laranja White and Peruvian White Hab as well--will fan the babies once they get nice and warm again from wood stove, to make sure that I planted those two, as I'm keeping a detailed log. Had labels pre-scribbled and was 3 am before I got these potted and on mat. Manzanos did shockingly well without hand-scarring.

Need to run to h-ward store, pick up more stump-remover, potassium nitrate, and if had more, would start another batch to soak tomorrow, but roads are considered still "unadvisable." Thanks! Annie.

Hello annie from a fellow NCer here as well. Recovering from the storm over here as well today. This morning I started a soak on my 10 types of peppers i am planning to grow as well, planting tomorrow and thinking i might post and keep a glog as well even though this is really only my third year to grow and first attempt at growing my garden entirely from seeds. I think you are off to a great start and your list of peppers looks wonderful. I am have a few of those on mine as well. Hope you have a great 2013 grow and will follow along here too.

Mike

Hi Annie, I like your idea of using ice trays for your soak. Did I understand it correctly that you use a turkey baster to pull them from their bath? With my luck I&rsquo;d mix them up a bit in the ice trays, hehe, thus I use little disposable cups. Great looking shelves and light set up, great success to your grow in 13 :)

Hi Annie, I like your idea of using ice trays for your soak. Did I understand it correctly that you use a turkey baster to pull them from their bath? With my luck I&rsquo;d mix them up a bit in the ice trays, hehe, thus I use little disposable cups. Great looking shelves and light set up, great success to your grow in 13 :)

Yeah, WalkGood: a technique that I've worked with--the baster--for sure. Or yep: "Rutroh" but that comes, way after they hook, lol. I've got a system down now, I think, that helps prevent too many "What the heck is this in this tray of Cayenne? Oh. Eggplant." :neutral:

Can't wait to see your seedlings. Your gonna have a great from this year. Me and GA have already predicted it for everyone. AahahahhahahAaa. Setup looks spot on.

Hello annie from a fellow NCer here as well. Recovering from the storm over here as well today. This morning I started a soak on my 10 types of peppers i am planning to grow as well, planting tomorrow and thinking i might post and keep a glog as well even though this is really only my third year to grow and first attempt at growing my garden entirely from seeds. I think you are off to a great start and your list of peppers looks wonderful. I am have a few of those on mine as well. Hope you have a great 2013 grow and will follow along here too.

Mike

Hiya Mike: how's my grad degree alma mater city, aside from "chilled"? The ice-storm of 2004 was, uh "interesting" in Raleigh. (Not.) Thanks man! Please post a Glog and if you have, let me know the link, okay? If you haven't please do :P. Be great to see what you're growing and how it goes. Good to see a fellow Tar Heel on here (I couldn't resist) since "The Hill" is my "first love." Peace, Annie

Can't wait to see your seedlings. Your gonna have a great from this year. Me and GA have already predicted it for everyone. AahahahhahahAaa. Setup looks spot on.

Thanks Sanarda! Okay, I'm down with the psychic prediction for everybody! We're all gonna have fantastic years! Now, we're holdin' you and GA to this prediction . . . does that include no spider mites and/or aphids? j/k ;-)
Very nice start and well organized. I'm looking forward to following your grow this year!

Thanks Stefan_W: am looking forward to it as well!
Anything sprouted yet?

Uh, TylerinNiagara, since I got the last of these in medium at 3am this morning, if any had sprouted :shocked: . . . thanks for the optimism, man! ;-)
Good luck.I hope you have a lot of space.

Pepprob, I have "space" (50' x 100' in-ground garden + raised beds), but am gonna have to use some smart pots this year (do manzanos in pots regardless, big pots), as have lots of heirloom maters. Also just got a small but hopefully effective greenhouse to hold some of these. My irritation with containers of any kind is not containers, because using drip irrigation, the dreaded "water a lot" issue is non-issue, but the methods of growing is: my in-ground is organic and containers just don't work for me using organic. Gotta split brain on that (and "ingredients"). Modified 5-1-1 pine bark fine based mix worked best for me last year, the few I grew in containers. And "few" has became "more" if seeds germ well and decide to live. Thanks!

Includes no spider mites aphids slugs and maggots. Aaahahhhahahhaa

Agreed: no maggots, nasty larvae of any kind = no white flies, pepper maggot flies, and I'd like to include Japanese beetles in this creative visualization, lol!

My potted Manazos filled 10 gal pots pretty fast. Why won't organics in pots work for you?

Because of fert needs, for me. I tend to like to flush plants in containers about every 3 weeks. Keeps oxygen going to roots. And because of that, CRWs tend to work better in a bark, "sterile" mix, with the flushing. But would LOVE to know what you do, Pepproblem.

For containers, I use 5 parts screened pine bark fines, 1 part screened peat (or coir), 1 part perlite--the big chunky stuff from Fox Farms--1 part screened Napa Oil Absorbent (get that almost free from my brother) which acts like Turface. It's Diatomaceous earth, basically, for a heck of a lot less than DE or Turface. Then add dolomite lime to adjust pH, with all that peat and pine bark--too acidic. Then I add a CRW like Osmocote 14-14-14. I mean, this structure seems to really help keep roots oxygenated. BUT, I cheat the inorganic a bit. I add 1/2 part worm castings and 1/2 part compost. I just can't go totally synthetic. And with compost teas, this works well, esp. if use fungal based tea at blossom set and during fruiting. I also use mycorr, even if it seems to defeat the purpose, because I use drip from rain barrels. Which I did do in 10-15 gallons last year--a few Tabascos to see what kind of "trees" I'd get, so I had to go to 15 gal. nursery pots on those, as experiment. 2 in PMBX with composts, guanos, etc. and one in the bark mix. The bark mix really won-out! Because it's essentially a soilless mix, I could never get enough organics into those--well, I could but I'd need to be the CEO of Neptune's Harvest company, lol. And I always use some molasses every other water, which seems to help the vermicompost and compost. I don't like this, as I'm gonna have 2 50 gal drums set up just for container medium contrasted with what I do for in-ground and raised beds, but the coir and peat-based mixes with composts/guanos, tend to gunk up and choke roots for me in containers, otherwise. I mean, I get something but not high yields, and with that root suffocation issue, or near it, I had to use pesticides in those two containers, that I normally wouldn't touch last year for those Tabs. I only did one container with the bark mix and it had great yields, comparatively and no need to break out the big-gun pesticides, which I just hate.

Going with smart pots or probably more like root pouches this year, air pruning is air pruning, so . . . but will still use that mix, might slip in a tad more compost, but it will still be bark-based for aeration. I think: want to hear what you do.

If you wouldn't mind sharing what mix and what container type--plastic or clay or "cloth-based"--that you grow manzanos in, I'm open to hearing any alternative than using two entirely different methods. In fact, was just placing another order for manzano seeds. Used to be able to get them fresh when lived in Austin, TX and miss those sauces! (Or just munching on them.) I'm here to learn/have fun/experiment, so if something would simplify my life: I like K.I.S.S. Soft rock phosphate one place and 14-14-14 another is just . . . weird, ha! Thanks!

Hiya Mike: how's my grad degree alma mater city, aside from "chilled"? The ice-storm of 2004 was, uh "interesting" in Raleigh. (Not.) Thanks man! Please post a Glog and if you have, let me know the link, okay? If you haven't please do :P. Be great to see what you're growing and how it goes. Good to see a fellow Tar Heel on here (I couldn't resist) since "The Hill" is my "first love." Peace, Annie

Yes life has returned to normal over here in Raleigh home of the Wolfpack. I remember that storm in 04 but the 24 inches of snow in 36 hours in 2000 after moving down here only 3 weeks before really stands clearly in my mind too. I grew up in Ohio so I have no true schooling allegiance to State or UNC even though it was fun to watch the b ball game last night.

Well I wish you well and yes I did start a glog this morning. Follow along here and thanks fellow tarheel may our efforts be rewarded with many pods!!
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37184-fireeater101-2013-glog/

Catch ya soon!
Mike

Annie great intro and documentaion. Looks like you've fine tuned the grow down to a Science. I'll be following this one to check on the progress.
Good luck with your 2013 season and the harvest(s) along the way...

Greg

Back