• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Best Tasting Superhot?

I've got an itch to grow another superhot this year; but intend to actually eat it and am limited on space, so I want to know what the best tasting superhots are, that is if you can taste anything through the burn. Some description of aroma, flavour profile and what they go well with is all valuable information.

Cheers in advance.

Jonny.

wow you should get at least ten different answers to this.

^ That. Taste is subjective to the individual.

But, ah, you did ask for a description of flavour and all that so obviously you have already taken that into consideration. ;)

I'm a big fan of Bhuts (both the red and chocolate). Not always good at describing flavours so all you're getting from me is slightly fruity-ish and rather earthy-ish (but in a good way) with the chocolate being sweeter.

I don't think you're really gonna taste much from any superhot if your tolerance isn't up though. :lol:

Interesting many a lot are saying the yellow varieties, I only have a couple of Aji Lemons at present, I've heard great things about Datil (maybe a little less severe than a 7 Pot, although not by much. Chocolate Bhut's sound great and look as evil as they are hot! I've got some choc Habs and some Aji Pancas growing currently though so may go for a yellow this time. Also want to try out a Primo or Carolina Reaper, but think they might just finish me off :mouthonfire:

IMO Datils are not even close to the heat of a 7. I can eat whole Datils, but 7's make me cry like a baby.
I think Fatalli is a bit hotter than Datil, and a Yellow 7 is hotter than both, at least to me.

Datils do have a great unique flavor. Fatalli is also tasty. I Liked the Yellow Devil's Tongues too, but I don't remember how hot they were compared to Datils.

I think Datils have amazing fruity/hab flavor but I don't consider them a "super-hot". I can line up 6 of them on a hot dog, no problem, but ONE 7 makes me wanna cry!

Yellow 7, Yellow Bhut, Yellow Cardi Scorp (my favorite) all strong chinense/fruity sweet with heat you can handle but may regret... Bhut's are good too, their flavor is unique and kind of musky sweet to me and their heat is a painful step up. I thought the Primos tasted good, as did the Brains both sweet out of the gate, but you don't get to enjoy it very long because your whole face is on fire. The Barrackpore tasted terrible...like dish soap to me, but I grew them again anyway, because they kick my ass worse than the rest and make some of the best powder. :fireball:

I'm quite fond of yellow varieties. They tend have the flavor of the red varieties, but on a milder level and tend to up the sweetness. However, they generally are not as hot as their red counterparts. Certain brown varieties can't be excluded either. One of my favorites that is readily available is the 7 Pot Brown. Great taste and blistering heat. Judy (pepperlover) is working on a Brown Moruga Scorpion and it is by far the hottest pepper I've ever had. But I would have to put it as tops in my book for flavor as well. But until she puts that out in circulation, I would have to say it's a toss up between the 7 Pot Yellow and the 7 Pot Jonah for the best balance of heat/flavor.

Edit: I should clarify the 7 Pot Yellow is not overly hot (at least as superhots are considered), but has an outstanding flavor.

Yellow Congo Trinidad, it isnt considered a super but its pretty darn hot, Yellow Fatalii is delicious, Yellow Devils Tongue. Yellow Cardi Scorp, Trinidad Scorp in any color.

Yellow Congo Trinidad, it isnt considered a super but its pretty darn hot, Yellow Fatalii is delicious, Yellow Devils Tongue. Yellow Cardi Scorp, Trinidad Scorp in any color.

I need to see about this Yellow Congo Trinidad. All of the others I like too! ;)

Datils, Brainstrain, Douglah, chocolate bhuts and habs, and fatalii's are all very nice.
They are each wonderful in their own way. I guess it predominantly comes down to the type of food you want to put it in, and the type of burn you are looking for. fatalii, datil, and habs have a sharp sting, douglas and brainstrains have a deep mellow burn, bhuts are a combo of the two.

I would say take your pick of any yellow super hot.

That has been my experience as well. Anything yellow followed by anything "chocolate", they just seem to have more flavor, maybe because yellows and browns were developed or mutated from the reds? Maybe they are more mellow and as a result, their flavor is more pronounced?

Thanks guys and girls, really appreciate all the tips and hearing of your personal favourites, also useful would be to know which ones to avoid that have a really bitter or lifeless flavour, and just not worth putting in your mouth?

stay away from any type of "ornamental" they have that bitter lifeless flavor you're talking about.
not all of the reds are lacking in flavor, I had a naga morich that tasted like smoked salmon, and cleo's dragon habaneros are incredibly fruity. barrackpores IMO are cooking peppers only for the heat, they're neat looking but it's like black licorice:candy::barrackpore:peppers

Back