• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Foodex Sriracha hot chilisauce

Found this stuff at a local supermarket, I think it's also known as rooster sauce). Very dangerous for the non-hotheads, as the sauce itself looks pretty much like ketchup. But then again, you'd have to ignore all the Thai on the label, but I can see this stuff causing some excitement at a barbecue party :hell:

Sriracha-Hot-Sauce-M.png

ingredients: Chili 44.8%, water 35.2%, sugar 13.4%, garlic 3.2%, salt 1.9% cornstarch, vinegar, monosodiumglutamate (E621), citric acid (E330), xanthan gum (E414), potassium sorbate (E202), natural colour: paprika (E160(c))

So not a very pure sauce (even tho' the label says pure chili). The burn is nothing extreme, and it doesn't last very long either, but it's still pretty nice. I think this sauce will make an excellent ketchup replacement :) I just got it last night, so haven't tried it on many foods yet, but it's pretty good for breakfast on a peanut butter sandwich :onfire:

Oh and I paid about 1.40 euro for a 17oz (435ml) bottle.

Coop said:
Found this stuff at a local supermarket, I think it's also known as rooster sauce). Very dangerous for the non-hotheads, as the sauce itself looks pretty much like ketchup. But then again, you'd have to ignore all the Thai on the label, but I can see this stuff causing some excitement at a barbecue party :hell:

Sriracha-Hot-Sauce-M.png

ingredients: Chili 44.8%, water 35.2%, sugar 13.4%, garlic 3.2%, salt 1.9% cornstarch, vinegar, monosodiumglutamate (E621), citric acid (E330), xanthan gum (E414), potassium sorbate (E202), natural colour: paprika (E160(c))

So not a very pure sauce (even tho' the label says pure chili). The burn is nothing extreme, and it doesn't last very long either, but it's still pretty nice. I think this sauce will make an excellent ketchup replacement :) I just got it last night, so haven't tried it on many foods yet, but it's pretty good for breakfast on a peanut butter sandwich :onfire:

Oh and I paid about 1.40 euro for a 17oz (435ml) bottle.

I've got a bottle of this. The bottle is made of really thin plastic. It's a mild/medium heat and has a very, very strong garlic taste. I never realised it has almost as many E numbers as basic ingredients. Not all E numbers are bad though.

I wouldn't buy it again. The only sauces I'd buy again are my all time favourites. Most of the sauces I buy though are ones I've never tried before. I always buy every sauce I haven't tried before just to see what it's like- obviously not on the Internet though, I'd be very poor then. A lot of sauces are bought as presents so I have to kind of like them :)

I have a bottle too. Along with all the freaky chemicals it has a warning label that it's manufactured in a facility that processes crustaceans, shellfish, fish, tree nuts, peanuts, etc. Kind of a one plant does all motiff. Good to know if someone is allergic to stuff like that. I like it but not hot enough - best with chinese food.

whittlerdixie said:
I have a bottle too. Along with all the freaky chemicals it has a warning label that it's manufactured in a facility that processes crustaceans, shellfish, fish, tree nuts, peanuts, etc. Kind of a one plant does all motiff. Good to know if someone is allergic to stuff like that. I like it but not hot enough - best with chinese food.

I've been eating that stuff for years. LOVE IT! I always have a bottle in my fridge. My favorite uses for it are on egg rolls, quesadillas, spring rolls, and cheesesteaks. It is very garlicky but if you use enough it has a mild burn to it.

whittlerdixie said:
It's not kosher as well, so good to know.

rainbowberry said:
I like garlic too, but this is like garlic sauce, I think it's the main taste.

Are you sure it's the same? I sure tasted garlic, but I wouldn't call it the main taste. Of course that could just indicate that the production is not consistent.

I tried it on a few foods now, Shawarma (or Chawarma, Shwarma, Shuarma, Shawerma, Shoarma, Shaorma or however you prefer to spell it), Falafel, Peanutbutter sandwiches and Nasi Goreng. I think it isn't all that great as a chili sauce. But as a base for dip or, like I said before, a ketchup replacement, it will do pretty good. At the price I paid for it, I will probably buy it again. I think this sauce can be pretty good to have around once the barbecue season starts :)

Coop said:
Are you sure it's the same? I sure tasted garlic, but I wouldn't call it the main taste. Of course that could just indicate that the production is not consistent.

I tried it on a few foods now, Shawarma (or Chawarma, Shwarma, Shuarma, Shawerma, Shoarma, Shaorma or however you prefer to spell it), Falafel, Peanutbutter sandwiches and Nasi Goreng. I think it isn't all that great as a chili sauce. But as a base for dip or, like I said before, a ketchup replacement, it will do pretty good. At the price I paid for it, I will probably buy it again. I think this sauce can be pretty good to have around once the barbecue season starts :)
You like Shawarma and Falafel? I'm liking you already! :onfire:
No doubt those two are some of the best foods on the face of the earth (if made right)!
Don't know how it's like for you, but here Falafel/Shawarma shops/stands are like Starbucks in NY. :lol:
You can see like five different shops side by side in the same steert. :lol:

*going to buy some Shawarma in lafa*

Well, I'm in serious doubt about about the 'made right' part, as I cooked it up myself at home, from store bought pre-seasoned ingredients. No where near as good as when I get it at one of the shops here, but still a pretty decent meal. Falafel is probably my favorite vegetarian food, Shawarma is definitely in my overall top 10 of favorite foods.
There aren't as many places to get it from as where you live, but still almost every town or village has at least 1 place to get it, the bigger towns and cities usually a lot more. Also pretty much every supermarket sells pre-seasoned, pre-cut shawarma meat, but often they use pork(!). Luckily, my local supermarket offers both the cheap pork variety and the 'real' stuff :)

Coop said:
Well, I'm in serious doubt about about the 'made right' part, as I cooked it up myself at home, from store bought pre-seasoned ingredients. No where near as good as when I get it at one of the shops here, but still a pretty decent meal. Falafel is probably my favorite vegetarian food, Shawarma is definitely in my overall top 10 of favorite foods.
There aren't as many places to get it from as where you live, but still almost every town or village has at least 1 place to get it, the bigger towns and cities usually a lot more. Also pretty much every supermarket sells pre-seasoned, pre-cut shawarma meat, but often they use pork(!). Luckily, my local supermarket offers both the cheap pork variety and the real stuff :)
Dude, that's just sad. even here where it's available in massive quantities, some places are ok, some are better and usually there's just that one place that does it the best.
So not many places to choose from? my guess is that you haven't had the chance to try some quality Shawarma and/or Falafel. of course it's pretty awesome no matter what. ;)
You won't find any pork Shawarma here. you can find pork in general, just not in most shops. the Jews here aren't eating it (at least most of them), and so are the Muslims.

BTW maybe I just misunderstood you, but it seems like you say I'm wrong and then say I'm right. :shocked:
Well, I'm in serious doubt about about the 'made right' part, as I cooked it up myself at home, from store bought pre-seasoned ingredients. No where near as good as when I get it at one of the shops here, but still a pretty decent meal.

Coop said:

Well I like garlic but not that much.

Omri said:
You like Shawarma and Falafel? I'm liking you already! :onfire:
No doubt those two are some of the best foods on the face of the earth (if made right)!

Curious, how are they made in Israel or the middle east for that matter. Here in Toronto, Shawarma and Falafel shops are all over the place(and Thai noddle houses)with the best one being Falafel Queen (Queen St. & Bathurst) they make THE BEST chicken shawarma in the city IMO. They have amazing grape leaves as well, the owner is Palestinian(kind of looks like Yasir Arafat to boot).
There is not a street meat vendor(hot dogs)that does not have this sauce on his/her cart, it's quite good with mild burn.

Chris Kewley said:
Curious, how are they made in Israel or the middle east for that matter. Here in Toronto, Shawarma and Falafel shops are all over the place(and Thai noddle houses)with the best one being Falafel Queen (Queen St. & Bathurst) they make THE BEST chicken shawarma in the city IMO. They have amazing grape leaves as well, the owner is Palestinian(kind of looks like Yasir Arafat to boot).
There is not a street meat vendor(hot dogs)that does not have this sauce on his/her cart, it's quite good with mild burn.
First of all I had Falafel on several occasions all around the world. in the US no doubt, not sure about Canada.
Anyways, I'm not trying to be rude saying it (so please don't take it the wrong way), but it sucked balls every single time.
I'm sure me growing up on the type of Falafel we have here might have made it taste better for me, but still... it can't be that significant.
Had Shawarma as well, and it was ok. In Turkey the old school Shawarma tastes like the one here.

All I'm saying is that the food is made in a certain way here, and differently everywhere else.
Although a Palestinian should know how to make Shawarma "Israel Style". ;)

BTW by "grape leaves" you mean leaves stuffed with rice?

14527018ni4.jpg
20208918dy2.jpg
shawarmaty8.jpg

No way man I'm not taking it the wrong way at all, I was just curious how they make it there as I'm sure the meat/vegies they use will differ greatly to whats available here(I think it's HALAL (sp?)which if I'm not mistaken just means it was killed a certain way, kinda like kosher?). And yes I was refering to grape leaves stuffed with rice.

Chris Kewley said:
No way man I'm not taking it the wrong way at all, I was just curious how they make it there as I'm sure the meat/vegies they use will differ greatly to whats available here(I think it's HALAL (sp?)which if I'm not mistaken just means it was killed a certain way, kinda like kosher?). And yes I was refering to grape leaves stuffed with rice.
Yes it's Halal, and it means more than just slaughtered in a certain way. There shouldn't be any blood in it and so on.
Not sure why, but it seems like you are automatically assuming I'm Muslim. sure I could have easily been a Muslim, but just so happened I'm Jewish. :)

I am a huge fan of Memulaim (literally means "stuffed"), and that includes all types of leaves (beet as well).

Omri - not meaning to go any further off topic but does 'Raita' come from your part of the world?
I got some bundled with a package once and thought it was great, unfortunately it only has the name on the packet.

Back