• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Making sauce from dried peppers?

I have ALOT of dried peppers and with the new season coming up, i would like to use them up.
They are of different varities and of different heat levels.

I have read that you can reconsitute them in AC vinigar, add some salt, flavor (roasted garlic and onion, carrot, cumin, etc) blend and process.

I was wondering if anyone has reconsituted peppers in AC vinigar and how it turned out.

Also if anyone has a recipe using this method to make a roasted garlic hot sauce.

Any advice would be welcomed.

If you like the flavor of ACV that works out fine. I made a sauce from dried peppers that I reconstituted in warm water on the stove. Added other ingredients and then added enough Lemon/Lime/Vinegar to get the Ph below 4.0 and it turned out great.

Good luck and when you make your sauce post up some pics.
Cheers,
RM

You can reconstitute dried peppers with any liquid. Water, wine, broth, vinegar...whatever. I use hot water in most cases, but not all. I made a sauce today that used roasted garlic & dried peppers & fresh peppers... Just let your dried peppers sit for 10-15 minutes in hot water & then heat, blend, mix, or whatever your prefered method is... good luck!

I've always thought about trying something like that. I think you could probably make something interesting if you compliment the dried peppers with the right stuff.

Agreed that you'll probably want to use water to reconstitute - but for the acidity you could use either vinegar or citrus or both, depending on what flavor you're looking for.

Good luck & let us know how it turns out! I'm curious!

If you're dealing with whole dried pods, crush them down a bit, then soak in warm/hot H2O, just enough to cover the crushed bits. Then mix, add vinegar of choice, cook with other ingredients, whatever strikes your fancy.

You can soak them in ACV, but it's not NECESSARY to soak them in a vinegar. Water works fine and then you add a vinegar/acid later when making the sauce.

Once the pods have been rehydrated, you can pretty much use them in any of the MANY recipes around here on THP or check out pepperfool.com/recipes for more inspirations.

There's also a Sticky for Making Hot Sauce 101 in this section.

edit- I said to crush down the dried pods to reduce the amount of water needed to "cover the pods". If you put whole dried pods in a bowl, you'll need a LOT of water to cover and that will water down your sauce. Crush tehm down a bit, and you'll need 1/4 to 1/3 the amount of water to rehydrate.

When I make my 13 pepper chili I toast Ancho's ,De Arbol's , Guajillo's , Morita's amongst others then reconstitute in water. The peppers get simmer until tender, run through the food mill and get incorporated with the rest of the ingredients.

Sure its not considered a hot sauce but I see no reason you can't make one out of the dried pods.......revove the seeds though, dried seeds tend not to soften......pa-too-ee

I've never reconstituted peppers. I have always dried them because I wanted them dry.

If you boiled them in water I presume you try to use the minimum amount of water and then save it??? I have heard of people boiling peppers and then tossing the water and I would think that the water would contain some of the capcisin after an extended boil.

I've never reconstituted peppers. I have always dried them because I wanted them dry.

If you boiled them in water I presume you try to use the minimum amount of water and then save it??? I have heard of people boiling peppers and then tossing the water and I would think that the water would contain some of the capcisin after an extended boil.

Don't boil...simmer, just enough liquid to cover peppers. Save the "Solids and the Broth" just as one would when rehyradrating mushrooms. I food miill the seeds out before I blend. The seeds have no taste or value in my sauces. Sure I can throw the whole sha-bang in my vitamix .........but I find the seeds to impart an off taste in sauces and......especially in powders...

Back