• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First Rocotos

So I just got my first Rocoto seeds from Kernow Chilli Farm (Brown Rocoto and Turbo Pubes) and I've heard that giving pubescens a soak is kind of important. Terry told me to soak them in tea, so that's probably what I'll do. Anyone out there have any recommendations for types of tea to try, or types to stay away from?

Chamomile is supposed to have an anti-fungal effect, so that's a good choice. Regardless, I recommend you soak them in a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide for a few minutes first, to kill of any nasties. Rinse then soak in your tea of choice.

Yes weak Chamomille tea - make a cup drink it and use the same bag for another and that is about what you want and dont plant them in full sun and be very very very patient

I soak overnight before I sow seeds. I have never used chamomile tea,but any solution I use always has peroxide in it. Pubescens are supposed to be hard to germinate but in my experience they take about the same amount of time as chinense. I have 6 pube varieties including the brown rocoto you mentioned and all germinated in 14 days or less. Seed quality will play a big role as well as temperature and sowing depth. Good luck!

Back