• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds shelves to start seedlings

Ok got me one of those chrome shelves to start seedlings.

0680448_450_CC_6751d.jpg

Damn thing says on the box it's easy to set up.
well it took me 1 F%$ hour, a cut finger , 4 smokes and a broken flower pot!:mad:

BTW they're on sale at canadian tire 30% off until end of February.

I'm gonna get another one tomorrow.

habman said:
Ok got me one of those chrome shelves to start seedlings.

Damn thing says on the box it's easy to set up.
well it took me 1 F%$ hour, a cut finger , 4 smokes and a broken flower pot!:mad:

BTW they're on sale at canadian tire 30% off until end of February.

I'm gonna get another one tomorrow.

rolling on the floor thinking about you cussin' while trying to put those shelves together...thats why I made my own...:shocked:....:cool:

Lowes had some 4 shelf greenhouses on sale for 20 bucks, about the same size as yours, but not as tall. It also has wheels on it so it will work out great when harding off my plants. It is covered in a pretty durable plastic, with zippers on the front.

Omri said:
Looks kinda small. I'm looking for something similar as well, just BIGGER! :D

I have a very similar rack that has 48 X 18 shelves. It's nice because the shop lights are 48 inches, too! If I need more space, I'll get a second one.

Well, I need a second one, maybe I should say *when* I have more space, I'll get a second one.

hey habman what's the dimension of it ? and how does it cost I was searching for some thing just like that ? I'll going to IKEA tomorow to see what they have

Ps: just pour le comantaire en desou de ton premier post c ki ki le fesse LOL moi ou toi ??

AlabamaJack said:
rolling on the floor thinking about you cussin' while trying to put those shelves together...thats why I made my own...:shocked:....:cool:

It's funny now but I was real pissed last night! I'm a computer nerd not much of a handy man. :(
If I was to build my own it would take me all summer......

I bet you were...I am the same way when I am building stuff...I know better than to hit my finger with a hammer, but that makes me madder than a wet settin' hen when I do....

Those metal shelves are the best. Unbeatable regarding durability, strength, etc. I have a few of them. I got them at Costco, but they are also at places like Home Depot and Lowes.

The shelves are 48" wide x 24" long and the unit is 6+ ft tall. Dale has the same exact set-up. You can easily hang two to three dual bulb fluorescent fixtures above each shelf with chains. One shelf will give you the capacity to grow 300+ pepper plants if you don't start them super early like me.

I wouldn't bother w/anything else, unless a homemade shelf like AJ's. That's awesome, but I have no handyman skills. Therefore, I went for the sure thing.

The final product is 10x better than shelving units you pay $700+ for in gardening catalogs.

Chris

sdw79 said:
Lowes had some 4 shelf greenhouses on sale for 20 bucks, about the same size as yours, but not as tall. It also has wheels on it so it will work out great when harding off my plants. It is covered in a pretty durable plastic, with zippers on the front.

I hope My local Lowes or Home depot carries one of these. I actually need something like this so I can put a light on each shelf.

rainbowberry said:
So can you adjust the height of the shelves or not on most of these?

You can on mine, but it's a pain. There are little plastic collar pieces that go around the poles, and the shelves fit over that, compressing it and holding it in place. To adjust the shelves, you have to gently pop all four corners of the shelves up off the plastic collar pieces with something like a soft mallet. It either takes two people (one to hold the sides that have already been popped off from sliding back down) or you have to turn it over and let gravity help help.

I have the 18" but when I buy my next ones I will get the 24's because you can get 4 fixtures on one shelf then turn all the cell trays so you can get 4 trays per shelf. The Home Depot 's by me only have the 36" wide but Lowes has the 48". The 48's are a must if your using fluorescents.

Dale

I bought some shelves from here http://www.shelving.com/ They aren't as cheap as Lowes, but my Lowes didn't have what I wanted. I was really impressed with how quick shipping was, if I remeber right I got my shelves in 3 days! I thought that was fast for standard shipping.

thepodpiper said:
I have the 18" but when I buy my next ones I will get the 24's because you can get 4 fixtures on one shelf then turn all the cell trays so you can get 4 trays per shelf. The Home Depot 's by me only have the 36" wide but Lowes has the 48". The 48's are a must if your using fluorescents.

Dale

Wow, yeah, the 24 inch would be great. Where did you see them?

AlabamaJack said:
Lowe's has them Pam...that is what I was looking at when I changed my mind and decided to "redo" my shelves in the garage...heres one style

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=101933-1281-CR4824&lpage=none

Oh, ok. I was more looking for one of the chrome wire shelving racks. I don't have a garage or a basement, so I like the lighter wire racks. Especially because I can put them on wheels, the room I put all my seed stuff in gets pretty crowded, and being able to easily shift the shelves around is nice.

Back