• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shlogg's Glog 2013... Long overdue update.

Hey THP. Well 2013 is upon us, time to start growing!

I picked 27 varieties to take up the bulk of my garden space. Mostly supers but also a couple cool varieties that aren't so hot. Anyway, I soaked my seeds in a weak herbal tea blend for 24 hours, rinsed them and they are now resting comfortably in my germination tank. I'm trying cotton make-up removal pads to keep them moist instead of paper towels. They seem to work great!

My tank consists of a plastic storage bin filled with water and a fish tank heater. The heater can take a little playing with to get the temps just right but once I find the sweet spot its perfectly constant. I then float my seeds in condiment cups on the warm water. It's really works.

I did have a few hiccups in the process though. I was a bit hasty and put my seeds in the germ tank before getting the temp just right. It reached 86 degrees for a couple hours before I caught it but they should be fine. I've got them at 82 degrees now which I think is perfect. Now I'm just excitedly waiting for tap roots so I can get them all into my seedlings trays.

Here what I have going:
20 TS Moruga Blend
20 7 Pot Brainstrain
20 TS Butch T
20 Bhut Jolokia
10 TS Moruga Blend Yellow
10 7 Pot Brainstrain Yellow
10 7 Pot Primo
10 Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
10 Bhut Jolokia Peach
10 TS Chocolate
10 Douglah
10 Bhut Jolokia Yellow
8 7 Pot Jonah
8 7 Pot Congo SR
8 Billy Boy Douglah Red
4 7 Pot Burgundy
4 TS Orange
4 Devil's Tongue
4 7 Pot Chaguanas
4 Bahamian Goat
4 7 Pot Barrackpore
4 7 Pot Savannah
4 Douglah Yellow
4 Billy Boy Douglah
4 Douglah X Butch T
4 Naga Jolokia
4 Jalabanero

I believe that's it for now. I'll be adding more varieties when I have room in the grow box.

Here's a low quality shot of the boys in their bath:
IMAG0449.jpg

Thanks for looking!

It's been 4 days since I first soaked my seeds and I have a fair amount with tap roots already. Here's what has popped and been moved into seedlings trays so far:
TS Moruga 1
Brainstrain 5
TS Butch T 2
BJ Red 1
TS Moruga Yellow 3
Brainstrain Yellow 2
BJ Yellow 3
TS Chocolate 6
7 Pot SR 3
7 Pot Burgundy 1
7 Pot Barrackpore2
Douglah Yellow 1
Jalabanero 1
Bahamian Goat 2
Naga Jolokia 1

I'm using equal parts of coco coir, perlite and vermiculite as a seedling medium this year. It looks pretty good! Hope the gang likes it.

If all goes well I post a pic of some hooks in a couple days. Thanks for checking in!

Dshlogg,

Nice list of super hots....good luck with the process.

Greg
Love the bath with fish tank heater, that's a cool way to get them germing.

Good luck for 2013, great list of super hot's
Nice list & start, great success in 13 mon!

Thanks guys! Good luck to all of you as well.

This is my favorite part of the season. I end up checking my plants several times a day. It drives my wife crazy!

4 days? I'm on 10 days and only have two that have opened in my paper towels. I'm going to need more pictures of your set up. :surprised:

4 days? I'm on 10 days and only have two that have opened in my paper towels. I'm going to need more pictures of your set up. :surprised:
Yep 4 days. It's five days now and I just moved a bunch more to seedling trays. They just have tap roots. They're not hooks or seedlings yet. About showing you my setup, ok, but you didn't say the magic word :)

Sorry these are just crappy cell phone shots I took to show you.

First I soak the seeds for 24 hours in 80-85 degree water. It actually got up to 86 degrees. I just used tap water run through a Brita filter. Sometimes I soak them for an hour in 1 part H202 to 10 parts water for 20 minutes before the 24 hour soak but I didn't this time.

IMAG0442.jpg

Then I rinse them in Luke warm water before placing them on a wet cotton pad at the bottom of a condiment cup.

IMAG0443.jpg

IMAG0445.jpg

IMAG0453.jpg

I float the cups with a lid on 82 degree water in my germ tank.

IMAG0450.jpg

I use a fish tank thermometer to check the water temp.

IMAG0459.jpg

Here's the whole rig. It very simple but it works great!

IMAG0458.jpg

This little Jalabanero is a victim of accidental scarification. The back of its seed shell was broken off. If you look closely you can see that its coming out backwards. It germinated about 14 hours after soaking.

IMAG0455.jpg

Hopefully I'll have some hooks by tomorrow. Thanks for checking in!

Your seed germination setup is really cool..I like it!! I tried the wet paper towel method for 12 Long Thin Cayennes back on Jan 27th for the first time. I checked on them today and I have 8/12 that have sprout a root just like yours. I think your method and setup are pretty cool and it is working well! Your pepper list looks nice fiery and hot. Thanks for checking in on my glog last week. I will check in here with yours and hope this year brings you many many pods!!

Quick update:

I've been checking for hooks waaay too often :) (6 times in 24 hours). Low and behold I found 1 in each of my 2 trays today. Whoopee!

This little guy is a Bhut Jolokia

IMAG0461.jpg

The other is a Jalabanero (with helmet :(). Should be a few more later tonight.

Interesting technique, seems to work well. Good luck in 2013

Thanks man. So far so good. It will be 6 days late tonight from dry seed to hooks so that's not bad.
I am totally stealing this method next year. Very nice. :cheers: Thanks!

Hope it serves you well! Good luck with your experiment and the rest of your grow this year!

Your seed germination setup is really cool..I like it!! I tried the wet paper towel method for 12 Long Thin Cayennes back on Jan 27th for the first time. I checked on them today and I have 8/12 that have sprout a root just like yours. I think your method and setup are pretty cool and it is working well! Your pepper list looks nice fiery and hot. Thanks for checking in on my glog last week. I will check in here with yours and hope this year brings you many many pods!!

Thanks man! Sounds like your well on you way to some pods. I'll keep up with you glog but keep the posts coming.

Do they have adjustable tank heaters? I almost pulled the trigger on one today but it only gets the water to 78. Will that do?
What's nice is I priced out your whole setup to around $20.

Do they have adjustable tank heaters? I almost pulled the trigger on one today but it only gets the water to 78. Will that do?
What's nice is I priced out your whole setup to around $20.

Yes mine is adjustable. It was around $15 because its a fully submersible model. 78 will work but you will get faster germination and higher rates at 80-85.

Dayummm Dish going all sci-fi with the alient mutant germination bath incubator busting hooks out in 14 hrs! Careful when you open it them may jump out and latch on to your face! Gonna be a fun one to watch over here. Crazy #s of plants! Good luck!
Shane

Dayummm Dish going all sci-fi with the alient mutant germination bath incubator busting hooks out in 14 hrs! Careful when you open it them may jump out and latch on to your face! Gonna be a fun one to watch over here. Crazy #s of plants! Good luck!
Shane
Thanks Shane. I actually left a few seeds in there last year for the whole summer. I'm surprised those didn't mutate. It was actually 14 hours after they soaked so more like 32 hours or so. Hope your right about this being a fun glog to watch.

Shane
. <<<<<. Straight comedy!!!!!!

That is a great germination routine. And I thank you for sharing. Pretty soon it won't be seedlings popping you in your face but pods will be

I would say nice Shlog, but that sounds bad so I will stick with....wonderful Glog. :D Enjoy the fun of germination.

Finally fired up my lights tonight. My first two seedlings were getting a bit leggy waiting for the rest to hook so i couldnt wait any longer.

I now have 16 hooks/seedlings and all but 25 of 144 cells sown. I'm waiting for 3 varieties in the mail that will take up 12 of my last 25 empty cells.

Tonight will be 1 week from dry seed. Here's what has germinated and been sown:
12 TS Moruga blend
12 Brainstrain
10 TS Butch T
12 Bhuts
6 TS Moruga Yellow
6 Primo
6 Brainstrain Yellow
3 Douglah
4 BJ Chocolate
6 BJ Peach
6 BJ Yellow
6 TS Chocolate
2 Jonah
4 7 Pot SR
2 Jalabanero
2 Devils Tongue
2 Goat
2 7 Pot Burgundy
2 7 Pot Chaguanas
2 7 Pot Barrackpore
2 7 Pot Savannah
2 TS Orange
2 Douglah Yellow
2 BB Douglah
1 Douglah x Butch T
2 Naga Jolokia

I'm only keeping around 60 percent of the seeds I started so I'm not tracking my germ rates unless anyone is terribly interested to know them.

I'm pretty satisfied with my grow in these early stages. I did see a couple fungus gnats in my tray though so I'm hoping I can keep them in check. Some mosquito dunks may be in order but I don't find them very effective. I'll also put out a few glue traps even though they are so messy.

Anyway here is a shot of my son "helping" me so a few seeds. He is really fascinated by peppers and he even tasted a super Chile and a tabasco last summer.

IMAG0464.jpg

Here my little guys getting their first light. Notice long legs in the back. He's the oldest.

IMAG0465.jpg

When my trays fill out a bit more I'll take some shots with an actual camera. Until then its quicky cell phone updates. Gotta go. Thanks for looking!

That's awesome. My kids don't care for the hots although they do like checking the tray for new sprouts every morning. My daughter loves tomatoes so we're giving her some to grow this year. I love coming home from work and hopefully finding something new popping up in the seed tray.

Back