• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Powder Stems vs No Stems

When making powder, do you remove the stems from the chilis? [please explain below]

• Yes, I remove them.

Votes: 45 100.0%
  • No, I leave them intact.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I tried searching for this topic, and found a few that were kind of close, but not exactly the discussion I was looking for. Sorry if I am rehashing a previous topic.

I made some powder today, and took the time to chop all of the stems off of my dehydrated peppers. While browsing the forum, I saw a post by another member that had a picture of a food processor filled up with peppers that still had the stems on. So, my question, is when making powder, do you remove the stems? Will it affect flavor much? I have read that seeds can make the powder bitter tasting, but I was too lazy to remove all of those. ;)

stems don't have any flavor of chile. Would you eat the stem of an apple? That seems like about the same thing to me.

I've purchased (from a commercial source) some imported ground pepper powder that had long fibrous strings in it. I sifted it as best I could, there were threads up to 1" long! That is not what I consider "powder". I was NOT happy about that. When I questioned the seller, they said that it passed US Ag regulations and stems were considered "part of the plant material".

I've also seen on (HeatSeekers, I think...) some pizza place making a super-hot sauce, and in the food processor bowl were bhuts with long stems on. GAG! no wonder no-one could eat the pizza~ :crazy:

Looks like I made the right decision in removing them. The powder turned out pretty well. I had a few bags of assorted habs, cayennes, and jalapenos... so I just mixed them all together. :) This year, I am going to be growing some more interesting peppers, so I may do separate powders, instead of blending.

Thanks for the feed back!

It's been said before but I'll say it again:
No stems. I just de-stemmed some 5lbs of dried Thai's...PITA!! But worth it. About to start on 3lbs of dried Pasilla and about a pound of dried Fatalii. No stems!

Back