• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TnF-Hotty-Brown's Glog Naga, Cayanne, Tepin, ChocHab

My official 2013 grow started on September 26, 2012. My seeds arrived from B&T seed company here in France. I usually get all my seeds from them since they are dialled into a world-wide network of seed banks.

I planted 110 seeds in rockwool. I wasn't sure what I was gonna do with them, but hatched a plan to do a combination of soil grow and NFT under lighting. I've been successful with NFT for some time, and a friend recommended that I make sure to put some in soil. I choose Cellmax soil. It's from Holland. It's pH stable at 5.5-6.5 and has basic nutrients.

After only 6 days, the majority of seeds germinated. Another 4 days and I was at 80% germination rate. An interesting phenomenon occured when the seeds germinated. Just before each seed germinated, a thin green 'growth' appeared around the hole where the seed was planted. When this green growth appeared, it was an indicator that the seed would indeed germinate. This was the case 100% of the time. The seeds that did not germinate also did not show the green growth around the hole.

So, After discarding the seeds that didn't germinate, I started to water the rockwool daily with a spray bottle.
This got to be a hassle, since some of the rockwool cubes were wetter than others. The light used at this time was a typical 55watt x 2 CFL that I picked up from the local hydroponic store. It was really cheap, and the ballast and one bulb failed after using last time. I doug it out, replaced the balast and added a new bulb, and viola, we were back in business, with higher quality components. The seedlings were doing well, but the watering was becoming a chore. I decided that I'd place the tray of rockwool cubes on the NFT table, and see if they would do well with bottom watering. The plastic rockwool pallet fit nicely into the NFT tray, and the water flow was set to the absolute minimum that the pump would flow. I let it run constantly. There was a spot or two that didn't really get watered on the side of the tray, but with a little spray bottle help, the cubes become wet enough to form a link with the water flowing under the tray, and stayed watered. This NFT/rockwool tray for germination worked really well. I let the roots develop well into the water mat that was laid down under the NFT tray, and that caused some problems when it was time to transplant them out of the tray and into their new home, but it was not too difficult to cut them out with scissors, and the tiny little plants didn't suffer any shock from the roots being twisted, turned and cut up a bit. I will try something different next time to stop that from happening, but the whole tray of rockwool cubes in their pallet laid on the NFT tray worked extremely well for low maintenance watering.

A funky orange slime developed on the top of the rockwool cubes. I left it alone, because it did not harm the new seedlings at all. When I removed the cubes for replanting, I scraped off the slime and put the cubes into their new home. Some went into cellmax soil, in small pots, and 12 individual plants went into larger rockwool cubes, and went back into the NFT system. I soaked the large rockwool cubes in a solution of water and Formulex for about an hour before transplanting the smaller cubes into the larger cubes. To hide the roots from light, I used yellow 3M -471 tape. This stuff is the majic tape. It sticks hard, but not too hard, and leaves no residue. I found it at work, and it's miracle stuff. It's used in the cleanroom since it sticks well to teflon tubing but doesn't leave a sticky mess when you remove it. Very good stuff, but a bit expensive.

The NFT system was good, but I had much better results when I added an airline into the reservior. The added oxygen accelerated the growth by about 65%, and I recommend that any NFT system be equipped with added air. No air stone was necessary, just fix the tube so that it bubbles into the tank.

After a few weeks, I moved the NFT tray under a 430 watt HPS light system. I use a digital ballast, and so I dimmed it down to 200Watts. The plants loved it, but it was too cold in the grow tent, so I had to add a bit of heat. After getting the water temperature above 22C, the plants exploded and were quickly too tall, and touched the light. I kept moving the light higher, and then finally had to reorganize the tent with the NFT system at the bottom, and the grow light set on 430Watts with some heat still, since it was -8C outside for a few nights.

With this set up, every plant did well. I had to cull the litter, and pulled out the smallest plants to make room for the bigger plants. This was a sad day, but the results were great.

Currently, the Cayanne peppers are flowering and giving great peppers. Hot and tasty although green. The Chocolate habanero peppers have lots of flowers, as well as the Naga Jolokia's, but there is alot of flower bud fall-off. Leaves look good, and all the parameters seem to be great, but the flower fall-off is worrisome. I am experimenting with the nutrients, and it seems to be working. Less Nitrogen, more bloom gave the leaves a better and flatter appearance. In the end, I switched to flora micro/flora Mato from GHE and this combination seems to work very well. It's hard to tell, since the whole opertation is indoor, in a small space with only 1 HPS light. Other plants are growing under CFL and the difference is quite large, but they are also in soil. The plants in soil with CFL lighting are healthy, but do not show the enourmous grow rates that the NFT/HPS do, but that is to be expected. All in all, the results so far are fantastic, and cloning operations will start soon, and then in April there will be the great migration to the outdoor field. Some in the ground, some in big pots, and the NFT giants will go into waterfarm pots.

So far so good. Looking at all of you guys, and the beautiful grows on this site, I can only hope for such fantastic results. I'm glad that I found this site, and got involved. Super great site

NFT is short for nutrient film tecnique. basically, it's a constant flow of water over the surface where the roots can absorb oxygen and water and nutrients, and is a recycling type hydroponic setup.

Since I'm not getting the right photo site, or picture media site or whatever, I put all the Pics here: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/56083158@N03/sets/72157632652271882/

Just click on "sets" to see all the other grow shots in the series.

thanks yall. I'm hoping for a great summer, with mild weather, good rains and not too much wind. The wind here is a killer. Tonight we have 50mph gusts with sleet. Sucks bigtime.

Looking good, like the pics. Will be popping in on the the progress as we too are growing indoors so always good to see other techniques.

Good luck with it all

Well, it seems that progress is slow these days. After having success in the tent getting a single Chocolate Habanero to come to fruition, it's been a tough trail. Alot of information gathered though, and that's really good. So, The pH was allowed to coast, to see what the limits were. I recorded a low of 5.5 before I started to take corrective action. At the moment that the pH is at this low level, certain signs were observed on the leaves. At a pH of 5.5 Some nutrients move into an excess position. While not all nutrient uptake is hindered at very low pH, almost all micro nutrients are in excess, start to affect the plant at various stages of growth. As far as other things are going, The Cayannes are growing like mad, so are the wild tepins. The choc habs are flowering like mad, and now finally there is plenty of pollen being formed and blown around, but the Bhut Jolokias are slow slow slow to mature inside the tent, and even though alot of flowers have formed, they are slow to open and develop. (compared to the choc haB) But, they look good, strong and healthy, and being slow is not a crime.
I do not recommend letting the pH on NFT, or any hydroponic operation to drop below 5.7. At 5.5, when micronutrients are deemed excessive, mottling and dark spots appear on the leaves. Now, if the pH was very stable, you would troubleshoot a nutrient excess or deficiency, but with a floating pH, you would start into a failing cycle of over/under nutrient mixing. Because the pH was allowed to go as low as 5,5, I was able to spot when the plant showed a deficiency, but knowing that the reservoir mixture was good. The best way not to get lost is to keep your pH as stable as possible. I found the greatest amount of water uptake, (almost 4 liters a day in a 10 liter reservoir) was when the pH was 5.8 . The surprising amount of water absorbed into the plants was astounding. This was when I started to bring the pH back from 5.5 to 6.3. When the pH hit 5.8, with the EC around 1.4-1.7, the water level dropped 3.75 liters in 24 hours, and did so over a 2 day period. Now that I've managed and controlled the pH at 6, with nutrients around the 1.90 EC, I can look for other changes. What is most interesting is that if the pH is out of whack, you will find nutrient excesses and their corresponding signs, even if those nutrients are low in total %. Low pH causes some nutrients to block other nutrients. If you don't know the pH, then don't try to chase excess or deficiency problems, because you will be caught without the ability to control the uptake of some and the imbalances will cause damage. I took a picture of a leaf showing (K) Potassium deficiency and a Magnesium excess (Mg), not because of the EC, but because K was not available to the plant at a pH of 5.5. and Mg toxicity starting to occur. see here: http://flic.kr/p/dXDM2Z

Big improvement in all inside the tent peppers! I've been misting on a foliar spray regularly, for 1 week now. Each day I put a fine mist of water in the tent.
All flower drop stopped, and we've got a boatload of peppers forming now. It's so dry here in the cold garage. As soon as I started to mist them, the stems became rigid and strong. Keeping the EC at 2 and the Ph at 6. All good.

Informative glog. That is especially interesting about the green growth preceding the seed germination. I wonder if the germinating seed releases a chemical that encourages the green (algal?) growth and your conditions were just perfect to optimize the effect.

NEWS is GOOD!!!
Lots of flowers lots of peppers! Found the majic formula using GHE. So, I thought I'd drop in and share the news.
The GHE formula that get's strong flowering and good leaf and stem development is this:

10 Liter Reservoir
10ml Grow
40ml Mato
30ml Micro
10ml BN-15% Ca

I have to add the Ca because the water here is soft, with initial Ph in winter of 7,5 and EC 0,0 with total ppm at 43, and after filters, 12.
This combo does wonders in NFT, and at 50% dilution works on all soil types, using it at every watering.
Glad to see everyone here is doing well. Love ya!!!

Hello Everyone!!!
Well it's been some time now since I've updated everyone on the way that things have gone here.
The chocolate habanero and Naga Jolokia's are rocking!!!  I've made a small video showing all the lovely plants
in the garden.  The Habaneros grown in a NFT system are huge, and the peppers are downright awsome.
I'd like to post the video, but I cant.  If anyone would like to see the video, just let me know how I can get it up 
on THP, and I'll do it right away.  I have to say the the peppers couldn't be more beautiful and there are so many
bees helping, that we have almost zero flowers that do not give fruit.  Bees are my best friend.  
Peace,
Hotty

Here's the link:

Back