• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Questions from a beginner

Hey guys - I've been reading these forums for a long time and I finally got around to ordering seeds and planting them, so I made an account cause I was bound to have questions. And I do.

So, I ordered Bhut Jolokia's from NMSU. 20, I think. I really wanted to plant other peppers, but I read they cross pollinate too easily. I didn't want to end up with hot jalapeno's and mild bhut's... Upon finding a couple threads on this forum, it sounds like that wouldn't have happened, only the seeds of those plants would have had a chance to be hybrids... *shrug* Maybe next year I'll do more.

Since this is my first time growing ANYTHING, I have no idea what I'm doing. NMSU suggested the soil PH be 6.5. I tested mine and it's 7. I tried to find out how to adjust it, but everything I found was for farmers, not little tiny seedling pots. So they stayed at 7. I've been watering them every day, because the soil at the top just gets bone dry, even though I read some people water them every 3 days (or even less!). I don't know if this is the right thing to do, but the soil just seems totally dried out by the end of the day.

Anyway, here's my set up. I know it's not ideal, but it's what I got. I have a seedling warming mat (the paperwork with the Bhut's said the soil should be at 80-90 degrees!!). Right now there is very little light hitting the soil, but no plants have sprouted yet (its been less than 1 week and paperwork says up to 6, so I'm not fretting yet). I'm assuming they won't need light until they sprout. If that's not accurate, I'll have to figure something out.

Here's the problem: once they do sprout, my growing light (just a cheap flourescent jobby from Home Depot) is in the basement. There is no heat in my basement. I'd say its typically around 50-55 this time of year, and isn't likely to heat up much in the next 5-6 weeks.

Right now, the seeds are in my study with a space heater cranked to 68-70, and the warming mat. So I'm assuming the soil should be hovering around 80-90. But when these start to sprout, they'll need light, and that means moving them into a 50-60 degree basement. I can't take the space heater down there, it wouldn't throw enough heat. The basement isn't insulated well (it's an old house). The only south facing windows in my house are in the living room, and they're too small for real light to come in (like basement windows).

I can't hang a 4' flourescent light in my study, and I shouldn't bring these guys into the basement being that cold. I was thinking about building an insulated enclosure that could fit a space heater, the seedlings, and have a glass top so the light could come in - then keep that in the basement.

Anyone know of anything like that that's pre-fab? I dont think I could realistically spend over like 100 bucks. Or have any suggestions?

Thanks guys. I know my first post was really long, but I appreciate any replies!

welcome!
i wonder if you'd even need the glass on top, would four walls and a light on top warm the little guys enough? i don't know, but i think glass will filter the light. also, they sell mini greenhouses, would that work? the shelves i have came with a plastic greenhouse cover and you could hang the lights inside on the shelf... of course if your lights are four feet you might have to DIY one yourself but it should come out under a hundred... what i do in situations like this is just start wandering around all the aisles of home depot and other big box stores with a pencil and pad of paper....

Welcome on board!

If you go somewhere like Lowe's or Home Depot, you can buy a roll of foil insulation, It's foil with bubble wrap in the middle, so it's not too expensive. Cut one piece to put under the plants. Cut side pieces and tape the top to the edge of the shop light. Voila...insulated grow room.

Or you could buy a large aquarium and put the plants down in it. Usually the tanks aren't the most expensive part, the lights and filters are. Check the local For Sale ads and you might be able t pick on up pretty cheaply.

Go buy a couple more cheap HD fluorescents hang all three fixtures together put the plants underneath and leave the lights on 24/7 it will keep them warm enough. Keep the seedlings very close to the lights.

Dale

I'd definitely use some sort of bottom heat to keep the roots warm. You can buy a heated propogator like this to start with.

18002964934d948dd735gw3.jpg

Thanks!!

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

This is what I ended up with:

planterclosedci7.jpg

planteropenqi6.jpg

I had a bunch of plywood in my basement that I had no idea what to do with, so ... I did something with it!

Couldn't add more lights - no space right now. The propagation pad is in there, and the whole thing (except the top) is insulated with styrofoam bats and covered in aluminum foil. Got a thermostat in there now, gonna see how hot it gets. I'm praying 70+.

As far as the light goes, right now its on a timer from 5am to 9pm. Should it be on longer than that? 24 hours?

*scowl*

I just looked, and it's only 62 degrees... The pad says its supposed to keep the soil 10-20 degrees above ambient room temperature, so 72-82 is on the low end, but still will be ok, yes?

I might have to get some type of heater... or another propagation mat...

klyth said:
*scowl*

I just looked, and it's only 62 degrees... The pad says its supposed to keep the soil 10-20 degrees above ambient room temperature, so 72-82 is on the low end, but still will be ok, yes?

I might have to get some type of heater... or another propagation mat...

I use 100 watt incandescent halogen light bulbs for heat in mine...just get two 115 volt ceramic fixtures, drill two 2 1/2" holes in each end and wire it up...hook that up to a thermostat mounted inside the box....

klyth, very nice and you can use it as a tanning bed on the side. It looks like you have the fixture hanging in the center. Mount two fixtures on the diagonal top pieces that should bring the temps up and give you the benefit of more light.

Dale

AlabamaJack said:
I use 100 watt incandescent halogen light bulbs for heat in mine...just get two 115 volt ceramic fixtures, drill two 2 1/2" holes in each end and wire it up...hook that up to a thermostat mounted inside the box....

This weekend my girlfriend had to plant a bunch more herbs and vegetables. I realized the box I built wasn't large enough to fit all of the new plants, so I built a new box this weekend.

Changes:
1. Bigger. Instead of 4'x7" (interior space) it's 4'11x10" (wide enough to fit 4 peat pots as opposed to 3).
2. Better. I did not foil the interior of the box, as I was out of foil and read that white works about as good anyway. It's now wide enough for two 4' lights, so I purchased a second. Also, I brought the box to my cousin, an electrician, who helped me mount 2 lights inside (right now just 50w, but I could put in 100's if the temps don't go up much more), connected to a thermostat (thanks for the idea AJ!)

I forgot to take pictures as we were building it, but I'll get some tonight. It's looking pretty a-ok. But still no activity coming from my peppers... I'm getting anxious!! It's been 3 weeks now...

It seems the more you look for peppers to sprout, the longer they take. Try to keep the watching down for a few days, and then they'll surprise you :)

Ok, it's not easy to see what the deal is, but the light fixture you see on the side runs behind the box to the thermostat you see in the second picture. There is another light fixture on the opposite side. Last night I put a 125w flood light in the side with the peppers, and this morning it was 66... We'll see what happens during the day... 1 thing is for sure, I'll be watering them more often now!!

dsc01379smha5.jpg

dsc01382smyz2.jpg

looking good my friend...only one recommendation I will make...you have to move the air inside the box or you will have a moldy situation and your seedlings will not be as strong as they would be in moving air...get a small oscillating fan to move the air with and just sit it in the germinator with your plants...

AlabamaJack said:
looking good my friend...only one recommendation I will make...you have to move the air inside the box or you will have a moldy situation and your seedlings will not be as strong as they would be in moving air...get a small oscillating fan to move the air with and just sit it in the germinator with your plants...

Actually I was just telling my girlfriend last night that I was going to buy one. Nothing has sprouted yet, so I'm not in a rush, but I'll pick one up this week or this weekend.

Back