• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First Transplant Complete 21 February 2008

Ther are no more cramped spaces for the roots of my little ones any more. Each has his own new bigger home.

The first round of transplants are complete. Took me a week to transplant all seedlings out of the 72 cell trays.

Here they all are in their new grow area...

1sttransplantcompletesr8.jpg

Here is a list of plants in the 60 cupholder trays I made

Here is a list of seedlings in the 40 cupholder trays I made

Here is a list of "loose" containers

I am glad this task is over with...this weekend it will be time to start working outside getting my beds ready...will move 5 yards of compost/sand mixture tomorrow or Saturday.

I am going to try and grow to maturity at least 2 plants of each variety plus the all the "superhots", orange thais, and tabasco's. I will have a total of about 225 pepper plants when it all is said and done. That will just about max out my space. I have an area that is 50' X 35' I have been alloted by the wife for container "gardening" space.

The main problem I am going to have is cutting down from ~360 seedlings to 300 when I transplant to 6" pots and then down to ~225 when they go into 5 gallon containers. I dont' want to throw any away so there will be plenty of "extra" seedlings; some to give away and some to sell.

messages crossed in cyberspace...there are a couple of friends I am going to give some peppers but they only want the varieties with a heat level up to cayenne or so. I have to be brave with this one since I will only want the "strongest" plants.

I feel your pain AJ, this was my first year from seed and I have way too many plants, I kinda overdid it. All my friends would take maybe jalapeños but not the intense heat plants. I hate to kill them but I may have too.

Yeah I've gone and done too many seedlings too but I won't throw any away. Even the Apache I was given I gave 3 of them to my brother along with a Peach Hab, you don't ask if they want them you just give them as a present then it won't be refused. My other spare Peach Hab was knocked off the window sill by my sister-in-law. I didn't care, her back garden was going to end up with it anyway. When I say too many seedlings it's nothing like AJ, I've got about 45 varieties growing (one plant of each).

Adjusted Shelves Today...

I adjusted my shelf spacing today and have it almost at the max. My shelves are now 24" (60cm) apart. I figure 6" for the light and 4" for the pot and I will be able to have 14" (35cm) seedlings to transplant to 5 gallon containers.

adjustedshelvesls6.jpg

Can’t help it, here is a cool shot of the grow area when the bamboo curtain is lowered…creates a rather nice glow in the garage when its dark…

puttobedud8.jpg

rainbowberry said:
Yeah I've gone and done too many seedlings too but I won't throw any away. Even the Apache I was given I gave 3 of them to my brother along with a Peach Hab, you don't ask if they want them you just give them as a present then it won't be refused.

i was at my sisters house this weekend and i suprised her with a fatalii as a present (now that's two down, 17 to go...) she was reluctant b/c she doesn't have a great history with houseplants but she took it... to ensure his safety i set him up with one of those terra cotta self waterers and put him in an 8" pot.

Back