blenders Quality immersion blenders?

After looking around appliance stores to upgrade my kitchen a bit... I came to realize that using my little ninja bullet blender just won't do if I decide to ramp up production. This dawned on me when I found a kitchen-aid immersion blender.

Now I'm wondering two things here:

1) Will it really save time by blending while cooking the sauce at the same time...
2) Will it be practical if I'm cooking in 3 to 5 gallon batches?

Part of my recipe involved me taking mash right from the simmer phase and pouring it into quart sized bullets and blending them for 2 minutes each, then putting it back into the pot again to continue simmering.

If I can skip this step, it would be a huge time saver.

Now let's apply this on a larger scale:

First: What names are quality when it comes to these types of blenders? What names do you avoid?
Second: What features do you look for in an immersion blender?
Last: What price range should a quality immersion blender be in for doing 3-5 gallon batches of mash while cooking?

I use a REVERE immersion blender. I found mine at a thrift store though. It does a decent job but it doesn't get it smooth and silky.

Interesting. I also came across a thermal blender as well. For 2000 though... I wonder if they really work like they say they do. But as for the immersion blender I came across some cheap auctions on ebay for Waring medium duty immersion blenders, all stainless. Free shipping. Looks tempting for $150 with a 10" shaft. giggity giggity

household brands will work OK for 3 gallon, but 5 gal will probably be pushing it.

Research Waring commercial immersion blenders. They some in sizes from the household 15" for about $100 on up to one that's just about as big as the blender Scovie posted. :lol: They also make a hook that can go on the edge of a pot. The Waring BigBoys can blend things like a 40 gallon steam kettle worth of sauce.

Keep in mind the texture that you can achieve with an immersion blender. It'll do pretty good, but won't blend up seeds, and you will have small bits of pulp. If that is what you want for your sauce, then it would be a good choice. If you want a smoother sauce, you might need to look at other equipment or processes.

Do yourself a favor and get a Waring with at least a 12" attachment. You will spend a bit of money on it but it will be something you can grow with.

for 3-5 gallon batches, you'll need a really big commercial type of immersion blender. it will save you time for sure. that is if you do it a lot. it'll cost a pretty penny but it does a great job. a quick google on commercial larger size immersion blenders will give you a bunch of good ones from the search. when i used to train at a hotel, we use immersion blenders for making 5 gallon batches of salad dressings, soups and other things. the one we used was noisy as hell, but then it's been beat up by a bunch of non-caring contractual employees before me and god knows how many times it's been repaired. like many of the appliances that we used there. lol.

just call and ask the seller which blender would work best for your application.

you'll need one with a long arm so it'll reach all the way down to the bottom. we use 5 gallon buckets and the blender we use is pretty big.

as a guy that just loves gadgets for every application, i'd buy practically anything i find a use for. lol.

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]you might need to look at other equipment or processes.[/background]

other equipment would pretty much mean a commercial blender blender that's high powered and capable of handling large batches. also expensive.

have you heard anything about those thermal blenders that cook while they blend?

I have not heard of those, don't know anything about them. The last time I looked for anything was about 6 years ago, and I don't think those units were out then.

Back