• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Moruga Scorpions... don't hurt me

OK before I say anything else, I need to say don't yell at me or throw complicated remedies at me because I have no idea how to grow anything.

I'm following a guide I found on how to grow trinidad scorpion peppers. I put them in a starter tray, with a heating pad that's about 85F 24/7. I've been watering them any time they start to dry out of course. A few recently broke the surface of the soil so I removed the clear cover I had over it. I know they require pretty acidic soil (5.5pH) but every guide I found said that you don't need to have them in acidic soil until they start getting bigger and you transfer them to the outdoors. Or in my case, it will be a bigger plant pot with a big fluorescent light.

Now I have one problem so far. That is that the seedlings or whatever you call the little sprout are kind of wilted and look like they're losing life. The soil is watered perfectly so that's not the issue. I have a relatively low intensity LED light over them right now just to give the little ones some light. I can take pictures later, but what should I do right now?

A little bit of wilt at the early seedling stage is not something I personally worry about. Plants are shocked when they come out of the seed, when the temp changes from removing the cover, from transplanting into bigger pots, or any number of other things. It may slow right down for a few days or even a week, and then it should start to grow again fine providing you are doing everything else right.

Sure thing

http://imgur.com/a/OpNxs

They don't look too dead in the picture, but they were definitely more lively yesterday and the day before. Of course it's possible I'm overreacting; I'm here to learn.

That was just after I had watered the soil. I don't know if that could make it look like overwatering? I'll have to get a spray bottle, I've been dribbling water from a water bottle up to this point.

edit: as you can see I don't quite have the equipment or knowledge yet. But like I said I'm here to learn.

:welcome: ...What type of soil are you growing in? That kinda looks like clay/mud/dirt.....? I'm with Stefan on this one - looks way too wet.

Looks like your watering method is too harsh and knocking the sprouts over. Good luck recovering. Try bottom watering. I also dont remove the humidity dome until after they get their first real leaves and that works fine for me it seems

Looks like its time to start some new seeds in some commercial potting mix, preferably one without fertilizers added. If you can get Fafard Brand Potting soil at Home Depot, it works well.

Wash those trays with a mild bleach solution and rinse well before reusing them.

+ on bottom watering

I agree with the other posters. Whatever you are using for Soil (What are you using?) is way too muddy and is retaining too much water.

Go to a local florist and look at the ingredients of their potting soil (nothing with any fertilizer added). Only buy something that has Perlite in it. It will help with drainage.

You should start new seeds in the potting soil. Regarding the sprouts that you already have, I'll wait for the more experienced growers to answer whether you should transplant them into new potting soil. I've never transplanted anything that young and don't know if the shock will kill them.

Good luck!

There's no need for special equipment, as a newbie it's just a matter of doing some research and learning. Of course experience too, those look real bad. My vote goes for overwatering.

When you have a seedling/plant indoors watering is different, indoors you water less because water doesn't evaporate as fast as outside.

Look up "overwatering peppers" on Google.

, Vegas

Im not sure if its me or what but, they look really long and leggy and I don't see the cotyledons. You could always try more light for them. If your light source is weak, try putting it as close as possible with out burning the new sprouts.

I'm sorry but below is all you need to start your seedlings, I never use lights or heat mats(being in Florida helps) and use my own peat based starter mix, before that I used MG starter mix and it worked just fine. Our soil is on the alkaline side here and the plants seem to do just fine.....GL

IMG_0101.jpg

Looks like its time to start some new seeds in some commercial potting mix, preferably one without fertilizers added. If you can get Fafard Brand Potting soil at Home Depot, it works well.

Wash those trays with a mild bleach solution and rinse well before reusing them.

+ on bottom watering

Dunno what I'm doing.

Is there anything I can do to avoid having to completely restart?

Def not man. Sorry to say but them things look long gone bro! As soon as them babies pop out of the soil get that light super close or you can even stick em in a south facing window for enough light. Don't forget to throw a fan on em too. That will help with your overwatering and make the stems stronger. Pick up some seed starting mix to start your next batch in. Good luck man.

Back