• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Well... Nitrgoen?

Well we're getting hit with some pretty heavy snow here and I am once again trapped inside my house. I need to pot up 2 different tomato plants today into bigger cups and different soil, because I really dont want to use seed starting mix anymore with them. My question is, I have miracle grow potting mix and I know people are notorious for having problems with this mix, and some people love it. I myself have never had a problem with it. So my question is is to much nitrogen at my young seedlings life now a problem? I know too much nitrogen when plants are getting ready to produce peppers will cause them to drop, and only the plant to grow. But at a young age, could a boost of nitrogen help them grow pretty decent without any worry? Thanks

Dan

I say go for it. nitrogen wont hurt your plants right now. nitrogen is for plant growth & you dont plan on producing fruit right now anyways.
if the soil has time released fertilizer in the soil, later during the season I'd use organic fertilizers that have very little nitrogen in it since that soil will still be releasing nitrogen (if a time released fertilizer)

AlabamaJack said:
I had to use some Miracle Grow Potting Mix to finish transplanting 40 small seedlings...I hope they will be ok...

It's not going to kill them, but be sure you don't keep them in that.

And watch out for the aphids.

Yea, i figured the nitrogen boost right now couldnt hurt them, and when they go outside in like another month or so I'll switch the soil etc

I wouldnt switch soil, I'd leave the soil in & around the roots so you dont stress the plant. if you're potting up you can add other soil to the container but leave the soil around the roots. just use organic fertilizers with a low nitrogen level once you're ready to start producing flowers.

Becarefull with the amount of nitro you give them, peppers are slightly nitrogen sensative and they don't need all that much to do their thing.

DoH! Double post! Ummmm....well, I guess I'll use this for something random....Bird poop is white because birds can’t pee. Their kidneys work like ours do, but instead of producing urine, birds excrete a white paste. The paste, along with what comes out of the intestines, unites and is excreted through the bird’s cloaca, a multi-purpose hole which means sewer in Latin. And, yes, by multi-purpose, I mean they even mate through it.

imaguitargod said:
DoH! Double post! Ummmm....well, I guess I'll use this for something random....Bird poop is white because birds can’t pee. Their kidneys work like ours do, but instead of producing urine, birds excrete a white paste. The paste, along with what comes out of the intestines, unites and is excreted through the bird’s cloaca, a multi-purpose hole which means sewer in Latin. And, yes, by multi-purpose, I mean they even mate through it.

I'll try to remember this, just in case it comes up when I'm on Jeopardy! It is one of the more orginal post the THP!

Mike

and that my friend is why there are birds we call Sh** Quicks...they empty their cloaka when they take off for flight to lighten their load...

Back