• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

is it normal for pepper plants?

i had asked here for help before to help identify between butch t and ghost pepper and i have noticed a difference in the plants as they have been growing can somone tell me if a pepper plant shoulod be growing like this i just barley put them in the 3 gallon pots. im guessing the ghost pepper is the short bushy plants and the butch t is the taller one let me know your opinion or are they just enviornmental growth differences thanks

http://s1173.beta.photobucket.com/user/raptor4444/library/

look at the 4 recent pics

I would say the growth differences are based on things other than species type. I've never seen/heard of one growing faster than the other. The pics of the bumps on the leaves is about the worst case of edema I've ever seen though.

Most Bhuts have longer more pointy leaves...most trinidad varieties have wider more heart shaped leaves. I don't have a current pic of my Scorpions, but I do of some that are similar...
IMG_1217_zpsb366648b.jpg

this is a 7 Pot Congo SR leaves are similar the Scorpions...the plant to the left is a Scotch Bonnet, also similar.

Bhuts are more arrowhead than heart shaped...
IMG_1220_zps8d95d0d5.jpg

This is a Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon. Notice the leaves are longer and less rounded...anyway, hope this helps. An overhead pic of the leaf shapes of your two plants would be helpful.

Good luck...there will be not doubt which is which when pods show up!

Yeah..and as Patrick mentioned, plant height should be about the same. So either genetics or growing conditions produced that difference IMO...

Most Bhuts have longer more pointy leaves...most trinidad varieties have wider more heart shaped leaves. I don't have a current pic of my Scorpions, but I do of some that are similar...
IMG_1217_zpsb366648b.jpg

this is a 7 Pot Congo SR leaves are similar the Scorpions...the plant to the left is a Scotch Bonnet, also similar.

Bhuts are more arrowhead than heart shaped...
IMG_1220_zps8d95d0d5.jpg

This is a Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon. Notice the leaves are longer and less rounded...anyway, hope this helps. An overhead pic of the leaf shapes of your two plants would be helpful.

Good luck...there will be not doubt which is which when pods show up!

Yeah..and as Patrick mentioned, plant height should be about the same. So either genetics or growing conditions produced that difference IMO...

thanks alot! ,the differences in my plants are exactly what you said! in my ghost peppers now i know there ghost its getting very bushy with small leaves by the bottom is that normal or do i chop them off like i would do to a tomato the butch t is focusing on height and has no small leaves down low i did keep them in a small pot for a while and they where a little root bound

The low growth is normal...I leave it, but others pinch it off. Those little shoots will eventually grow big and break out of the canopy.

No reason to do any leaf snipping just yet. If it gets too bushy to pick pods then think about it.

Those get any taller a guy could get lost in them.Great growing!

Back