• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Kidd's 2013 Glog - Germ method added, compost tea method added

Hi everyone, just wanted to share my growing mistakes and progress here.

Plants i have going on are:-
- Assam Bhut
- Billy Biker Jalapenos
- Giant Jalapeno
- Aji Limon
- Fresno
- Trinidad moruga scorpion
- Goronong (op)
- Generic bell peppers (i need more sweet pepper for daily eating)

My soil is a mixture of 3 parts soil, 1 part worm compost , 1 part peat and a some perlite.
I *try* to grow organically. My feeds are mainly chicken poop, worm compost and worm tea.
I crush penicillins and calmag supplements to give to my plants once or twice during the year (i guess this makes it un-organic)

I live in Malaysia, where it's hot and humid. I grow all year long and have pest problems year long too as there's no winters here to kill them.

Without further ado, pictures:-

Fresnos (2plants)
DSC_0293_zpsea72030e.jpg
DSC_0294_zps29a84c6f.jpg

Assam Bhut (2plants) Quite surprised at how well these grows here. I hardly even look at them, but they are doing great.
DSC_0300_zps09d989df.jpg
DSC_0311_zps335a9603.jpg

Goronongs (grown from my own seeds from pods). These also grows great here.
DSC_0304_zpsa0062e72.jpg

More pods and plants pics soon!

pod pics:-
Assam Bhut + Giant Jalapeno

DSC_0297_zps1194e7f0.jpg
DSC_0306_zpsbfe40e53.jpg

DSC_0308_zps991e362f.jpg

Beautiful pics. Good luck with your "season". Looks like a nice variety you have going on. Keep us picture updated pleaser

Looking great kiddc. I do need to add Fresnos back into the mix here at some point, I love using them fresh in Thai food.

Thanks, poypoyking. Yeah, stc said that it's better than Jalapenos when used in poppers. But i'll take anything! We dont have much choice in peppers here as well, no fleshy+spicy types.

Up next:-
My germination method + setup and in the compost tea.

Nice pics and plants!
Thanks, mx5inpa! Ill be checking into your grow log regularly

NICE: looking forward to pics of your germ and tea methods. Much luck! Peace, Annie

Yes, ma'am. Pics coming right up

For this new update, i am going to share with you guys my germination method

Seeds chosen for this round of germination Corno di Toro and Billy Biker Jalapenos
DSC_0314_zpsd5f5ef0d.jpg

I am using these sauce containers for germination. These works great for me and its stackable. (seeds from JungleRain)
Also, the reason i stagger my germinations is because I have limited space and grow peppers exclusively in containers.
DSC_0315_zps4c30b656.jpg

Place the seeds in, folder the tissue on top of the seeds

DSC_0322_zps469aae29.jpg

Moisten the tissue paper

DSC_0323_zpsc25aed1f.jpg

Close the lid and label your container.

DSC_0324_zpsb2efa9c9.jpg

Place the containers somewhere warm. In my case, i place it next to my modem. Putting it on top of the modem is too hot and will cook the seeds.

DSC_0327_zps7566a973.jpg

And 1 day later, Billy Biker seeds popped! Very fast germination

DSC_0333_zpsfc98c5d7.jpg

and i place into the jiffy peat pellets (dont forget to bury the seeds , dont want them to come up in hats!). These works great in this humid environment, as it wont dry out as fast and wont cause dampening off (i water these 2-3 days once).

Wow really like your update pics. Great success with the Billy baker seeds, just one day to germ, that's amazing.

Looking forward to more of your updates

Good luck for rest of your growing plans

Looks Great Kidd! Hope your season goes well for you. I don't remember what seeds I sent you last season but I hope they faired well.

Later Mike

Wow really like your update pics. Great success with the Billy baker seeds, just one day to germ, that's amazing.

Looking forward to more of your updates

Good luck for rest of your growing plans

Hey, PJpeppers, thanks for the kind words, i try to do my best in taking pics as there are some breathtaking pics in this forum! Do drop by often :)

Looks Great Kidd! Hope your season goes well for you. I don't remember what seeds I sent you last season but I hope they faired well.

Later Mike

Hey Mike,

Your seeds did great! The piment d'espellette was a bit finicky though, germinated 50% and was really difficult to grow. Didnt even give me a pod, but you know what? The other espellette seed i got from a vendor didnt do so well either. You reminded try your seeds now, thanks again man!

Great germination, Kiddc. Do you know what the temperature is there in front of the modem?

Using the modem is a great idea. In times gone by I would use the cable box, just put the in a zip bag and then in a dvd case and left them under the cable box. Worked quite well until the kids found out what was there and then had to think again. lol

Any more plans for the compost tea yet?

1 day germ wow!
Yeap, thats my current record! All thanks to good ambient temperature and JungleRain's seeds.

Great germination, Kiddc. Do you know what the temperature is there in front of the modem?

Hey Sawyer, i will have to get back to you on that. The ambient temperature in the house is around 27-30 Celcius. I guess the temperature nearby the modem is around 30-32 celcius.

Using the modem is a great idea. In times gone by I would use the cable box, just put the in a zip bag and then in a dvd case and left them under the cable box. Worked quite well until the kids found out what was there and then had to think again. lol

Any more plans for the compost tea yet?

Yeah, i had to put the cup in front of the modem just for the picture. I usually stack them behind the modem, out of little finger's reach. Compost tea coming right up!

Compost Tea recipe (simple but effective!)

This is currently my secret weapon (lol, not so secret) In my experience, it is super effective. The effect is very quickly seen as the soil is empowered with beneficial bacterias. The only downside is you have to keep brewing it for your plants frequently to reap the benefits, the effect is not lasting.

Cup of molasses, 2 table spoon of unsulphured molasses.
DSC_0339_zpsc3ed657b.jpg

Mixed with warm water to aid dilution
DSC_0340_zps05aa7fa3.jpg

Get a big bucket, dump in 2-3 big handfuls of worm compost ( i dont use a bag, most surface area to oxygenate and i can strain it afterwards)
DSC_0344_zps8d7ff68f.jpg

Dump in diluted molasses and pour in the water. Mix it abit and put in the bubblers ( i use 2 here)

DSC_0347_zps44902b0d.jpg

After near to 36 hours ( i need to delay the application time, so i added a tea spoon of diluted molasses to keep the beneficial bacterias some food)

250220131348_zps4350bc0a.jpg

Bubbly!

Any comments, questions and suggestions welcome!

Next up, my failures and near misses. Also, the difference between non-compost tea pods and compost-tea-ed pods.

Thanks for dropping by :)

Hey Sawyer, i will have to get back to you on that. The ambient temperature in the house is around 27-30 Celcius. I guess the temperature nearby the modem is around 30-32 celcius.

Let's see... 9/5*(30ºC) + 32 = 86ºF. Yep, that sounds about right, maybe a tad warm.

Back