Advertisement on main page

I recently booted to Windows 7 for the first time in months on my home computer. [Progress/Debian Linux is much better. ;) ]

I installed Chrome, and came to this site before I remembered to install AdBlockPlus. I noticed an ad at the top of the page... Kind of embarrassing for a site as reputable as this one. ;)

ghost.JPG

I don't mean to gripe, complain, etc. Just thought it was kind of ironic. :-P

What is odd, is that it was a brand new browser [so new cookies etc.] I wonder if google stores analytics based on your IP... At that point, I wasn't logged into any google services... [youtube, gmail, etc.] I opened my work email to make sure the server upgrade went well, and then THP. So, I really hadn't done any browsing.

Google is pretty scary though, I imagine they will attempt to track you any way that they can.

Edit: I do realize that THP most likely has no control over the ads that show up there, so I am in no way knocking the site or the admins... Just thought it was interesting.

On a slightly related topic, I set up a forum for our church on a free forums site, and when I logged in, the first ad I saw was something like 'OMFG She Wants You!' -- I quickly changed services. lol

The Internet knows everything about you, you are not safe or secure and that is the end of the story!

What I find interesting is that this thread has not been deleted. Mentioning any ad-blocking software or discussions (in 1[sup]st[/sup] post) on every forum I frequent is frowned upon or stated in forum rules. Most forums depend on ad revenue, revenue-generating links and now a days in-image tags to Amazon products to generate revenue. I could be wrong in regards to THP as I’ve not seen their revenue model before or actually charging members as well as the commercial business, especiall just to have an album/gallery o_O

That said, I do know that all pc & internet savvy guys/gals run one form or another of the various AdBlock software or plug-ins available :D

Back