• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Quick light question

So just a quick question here, need to know fast!
I need a pretty small light so i was wondering if this is a good lamp? The thing is that its called photolamp so i was kinda worried that i couldnt use it for plants.
Specs:
35w
Low energy lamp
5000 K
Ø83x185 mm.
1750 Lumen
This is how it looks
35wfotolampa.jpg

Please answer, regards Simon :)

I have about 4 simliar lights for 4 plants and they're exploding under them. One has just started to bud actually. Don't underestimate CFLs.

These should do very well for you. I use two 23 watt 5000k bulbs for each standard size seed tray. 23 watt is equivalent to a 100 watt incadescent bulb... I think 32 watts is equivalent to a 150 watt incadescent bulb. Cheers

I use exclusively CFLs for indoor.

Right now, Home Depot in Chicago is selling a 4-pack of 60W 5000K bulbs for $2.97 (they don't carry 6500k), socket to plug adapters for $2.09, and 6-plug power strips with a 3-ft cord for $3.97. Bought a roll of aluminum foil at Jewel for $1.97, and scavenged card-board and a small pallet from the shipping container of a water heater in the alley and made this:

bf6zbsO.jpg

It will house and nurse 48 plants until it is time for them to get set in the windowsill in a month or two, all for less than $15. And all of this will be re-used next season (actually, a lot of this is already re-purposed from last season so we are probably looking at <$10). It's the best solution I've found yet.

I think your lamp will do quite fine though. Like I said, 60w CFLs are very cheap right now, so you might consider upping the Wattage.

For my indoor grow, I mostly use 100W 5000K on my over-winter plants, but I have a 23W 2700K mixed in their too. My dad gave me a whole bunch of them, and I don't think a little bit of variety would hurt.

But so much more goes into raising a plant than light... you'll be fine with what you got if you take care of them properly (light, water, food, wind, nutrients, anti-pests, and pollination).

I use exclusively CFLs for indoor.

Right now, Home Depot in Chicago is selling a 4-pack of 60W 5000K bulbs for $2.97 (they don't carry 6500k), socket to plug adapters for $2.09, and 6-plug power strips with a 3-ft cord for $3.97. Bought a roll of aluminum foil at Jewel for $1.97, and scavenged card-board and a small pallet from the shipping container of a water heater in the alley and made this:

bf6zbsO.jpg

It will house and nurse 48 plants until it is time for them to get set in the windowsill in a month or two, all for less than $15. And all of this will be re-used next season (actually, a lot of this is already re-purposed from last season so we are probably looking at <$10). It's the best solution I've found yet.

I think your lamp will do quite fine though. Like I said, 60w CFLs are very cheap right now, so you might consider upping the Wattage.

For my indoor grow, I mostly use 100W 5000K on my over-winter plants, but I have a 23W 2700K mixed in their too. My dad gave me a whole bunch of them, and I don't think a little bit of variety would hurt.

But so much more goes into raising a plant than light... you'll be fine with what you got if you take care of them properly (light, water, food, wind, nutrients, anti-pests, and pollination).
No way near that price here in Sweden
But oh well i bought the lamp and its pretty huge and bright/strong! Im happy atleast, and i think it will work great :)

Back