• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe Sauce 003M - "Golf Sierra" recipe

Well. I thought I would share a nice mustard based barbecue sauce with you guys. I use this one with pulled pork with great success.

There is a picture of this sauce in the gallery known as 003M aka: "Golf Sierra" - I use code names for all my sauces because I don't have a specific name yet, but it often had a nickname. I felt it was bad luck to name the product preemptively so I chose a 2 letter codename.

Anywho...

Here's my recipe:

Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: about 45 minutes
How much does it make: a little more than a quart

Here's what you'll need:

1 Large sauce pot
1 Metal balloon whisk
1 Solid wooden spoon
1 Quart Ball or Mason jar
1 Pint ball or Mason jar

2 C - 'Ball Park' style yellow mustard (Franks, Generic, etc.)
1 C - White sugar
1/2 C - Light brown sugar
1-1/2 C - Apple cider vinegar
1/2 C - Distilled water
1/4 C - Chili powder
2 tsp - Black pepper
2 tsp - Pink pepper corns ground up
1/2 tsp - Roasted/hot cayenne pepper
1 tsp - Soy sauce
1/4 C - Salted butter

Optional:
2 tablespoons - hickory or mesquite liquid smoke flavoring

Secret ingredient:
Substitute the yellow mustard for deli style mustard for a really nice tang. Not the flavor for everyone, so try it out before you make it for a huge party.

Lighter varient:
Substitute the white sugar for Splenda baking sweetener, the brown sugar for the splenda variant, the soy sauce for the low sodium version and the salted butter with an equivalent salt free tub butter.

Here's what to do:

Combine the mustard, sugars, vinegar, water, chili powder, black pepper, pink pepper and cayenne powder together into a large pot. Mix well and bring up to a boil, stirring every few minutes to avoid the sugar sticking to the bottom of the pot. Do not cover. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for just about 30 minutes, again, stirring every few minutes. Turn up to medium heat, add the soy sauce and liquid smoke, then cut in the butter with the whisk until melted. As soon as the heat starts to bubble again, reduce to simmer for an additional 12 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.

Remove from heat and package immediately, or add to mason jars.

When using with pulled pork (a minimum of 10 pound pork butt) add to the pork during the shredding process about 3/4 of a quart, reserving about a pint of sauce for 'customization' of the sandwich or pork for the person eating it.

Back