• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First timer pepper grow! Planted Feb. 17th, 2013- Pods Multiplying!

I just started my first jalapeno plant. put in the seeds yesterday. using general purpose vegetable miracle grow and seed starting store-bought potting soil in a 4" wide plastic pot with bottom-feed tray. any advice? remember i am new at all this, just starting to look into hydroponics, and plan on starting a hydro system. any fertilizer/ph/watering schedule/ temp/ nutrient/food advice would be greatly appreciated. im very excited to see how my first yeild turns out. i am thinking i might start my next few seeds on a wet tissue to let the seeds burst, and then plant the successful sprouters, and i will be keeping the seeds/plants growing in the same room as my reptiles, which is kept at approx 70-85*F ambient temperature, then moving them into the window sill or outdoors (not sure yet) onto my front balcony. again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.p

:welcome: from florida. you in the right spot for some info!

also dont be scared to introduce yourself in the welcome section. this forum is filled with awesome growers of every and any caliber!

Welcome to my newest addiction! This year is only my second grow, and all I can say is to keep it simple. Plant your seeds the way you know nature has taught you how. seed to soil, water. Once it sprouts, give them light. This first year will teach you a lot about your plant's needs. You'll learn how to see what it needs, and when. Stick to keeping this first year simple for learning purposes, because it can get really intensely involved. Also, this forum is filled with tons of info and there are a bajillion knowledgeable folks here. Lean on them heavily.

Good luck, and happy growing! :welcome:

Great choice, I love Jalapeños, good great luck to your 2013 grow and post up some pics when you have them :)

The Jalapeno is such a versatile pepper. I dig them pickled with carrots, onion. garlic and spices.
You don't have to worry to much about starting those up in Texas. I bet you could get the seedlings going in a sunny window befire hardening them off outside

Jalapeños are a great gateway pepper, they taste good both ripe and un ripe and they tend to be less finicky than some. I couldn't even get bell pepper starts bought at a nursery to be edible when started out. Then I bought some jalapeño seeds, started them and got pods the next year.

Mmmmmmm..... Jalapeños.... Those things are good eatin. Still one of my favorite hot peppers. Welcome to the forum and welcome to growing. I wish you the best of luck in your new hobby.

Good luck with your grow. Another vote here for the jalapeno. I just finished a jar of sweet pickled jalapeno slices and they were delicious.

Jalapeño is soooo delicious. Great pepper choice. I eat them out the jar. Good luck on your grow. I'm sure you will do fine.

Welcome aboard! They'll do fine...you're already giving yourself great advice...so listen to it and you'll be good. Jals are very forgiving plants they can take some over this and under that. Temps are good for seed starting too..80-85 is what most recommend and you're in the ballpark. They should be poppin for you in about a week.

i suck at growing Jals, so i hope you have none of my problems and rock out during harvest! all the best!

found my first seeds sprouting roots on the paper towel i keep next to the reptile heat lamp! (tips got a little dry but i got them moistened up and sealed better this time)
6XGgtFk.jpg

Got Several seeds from a co-worker last night! I pre-soaked them in a 1% peroxide solution overnight, then put them on moist paper towels and covered them with plastic wrap, and put them near the heat lamp to get them started!
doKaIBN.jpg

9XiKlgg.jpg

So far here is this seasons grow list:
Jalapeno
Fatalii
Candlelight
Peruvian Purple
Chocolate Habanero
SuperChile
Mammoth Jalapeno
7 Pot
Atomic Starfish
Cumorio pass(something)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet

had to fight some mold on the soil surface of my jalapeno plant wednesday. i sprayed it down with a 3% peroxide solution after removing e or 4 small white tufts. also removed the moisture cover and bottom feed tray to improve circulation and help get rid of surface moisture. lo and behold i walk in this morning to see a hook started!!!!
let me know what you think! (day 10)
UhcGTyt.jpg

Quick learner...and good listener Gsquared. You will do well this season! Your list is a good one. Small but plenty of heat and loads of flavor. Fatalii and Scotch bonnets are two of the best flavors out there. Your standard 7 Pot should be a workhorse and put out tons of freakishly hot pods for you too...the Cumorio has me perplexed, maybe a Cumari variant and if so it'll be another great one. What is hooking up? A Jal?

Good job. It seems that watching plants is the most important part of growing. Then, acting upon what actually needs to be done for them is the 2nd. You got it down bud. Happy growing.

my jalapeno plant hooked and blossomed its first leaves... but the cat bit them in half. it still has like half of each leaf, and i added a little extra nutrients to make up for the food loss in the leaves. any advice to keep it alive?

Happens to me too...gotta figure out a cat-resistant system. Pour the light to it and it should make it.

Will be slow out of the gate though.

Back