• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

almost 3 weeks in, and 0 / 9 Chocolate Habanero have sprouted

So deciding to try my hand at growing some peppers instead of actually buying them... I chose a few varietes.

Chocolate Hab - pepper joe
Spicy Mustard Hab - pepper joe
American Red Hab - me
Hot Lemon Drop - pepperjoe
Scotch Bonnet - pepperjoe
Hot firecracker - pepperjoe
and some other free seeds that pepperjoe gave me

I'd say that after I passed the 2 week mark and since I put a heating mat under the jiffy tray...

last count had over 56 sprouts with about 5 more starting to poke out of the soil.

All 9 of my chocolate habs have zero sign. I even peeked under the soil with a pin to see if I saw any green and nothing.

Anyone else have insight on chocolate habs? Are they late bloomers?

It's not entirely odd for some seeds to take 3 weeks to sprout, depending upon moisture and temperature. When you "peeked under the soil", did you fish a seed out, lightly rinse it off, and take a good look at it? A light rinse should wash away any dirt, but if the seed has gotten moldy, a light rinse won't wash that off. And if the seed's gotten moldy, try soaking it in a 10:1 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide to see if you can save it. Otherwise, the mold might have gotten to it.

No, I was afraid to dig it up, I just poked around till I saw white. I'll check this weekend. I planted them all at the same time, the only thing I can think of is maybe I added too much water? But the other ones are coming up.

I'll keep this updated for this weekend.

Also, each peat pot has 2 seeds. I had 2 left over so I stuck them in random peat pots... so 2 have 3 seeds in there.

This is actually a pretty common issue with chocolate habs "or any chocolate variety". As the chocolates can be quite difficult determining when eaxctly pods are mature and seeds viable. I picked many of chocolate habs last year. Thinking they were ready. Just to cut into them and still see green in the placenta.

I've ordered choc habs from multiple places multiple times and have yet to have a single one pop for me. I pretty much gave up on the variety. Which sucks cause I hear they are great.

I've ordered choc habs from multiple places multiple times and have yet to have a single one pop for me. I pretty much gave up on the variety. Which sucks cause I hear they are great.

I've had excellent germination rates from the chocolate habs I got from Old Barn Nursery this year.

I've had 100% success with chocolate habs, cappuccino habs, and AjiJoe's chocolate hand grenade habs. All seeds came from AjiJoe.

I've never grown chocolate habs but my chocolate bhut jolokia seeds didn't germinate for 20+ days last year, much longer than all my other seeds.

I have roughly 90% success rates on the choco habs I bought from Baker Creek aka rareseeds.com. They Germ in about 1-2 weeks for me using rapid rooters and a heat mat with dome.

Have you tried soaking them prior to sowing?

Mine sprouted 100% (without a heat mat). Sometimes it is not the variety, but the actual seeds that are the culprit. PM me your address. I have an extra 10-pack of em around here somewhere. Just tell me where to send em...

-Mark

The chocolates do seem to take for ever. I struggled with Jamaican hit chocolates and chocolate bhuts last year. Both took over a month. This year four to six weeks on my own JHC seeds that i know came from mature pods. Don't given up on them yet.

The 3 Chocolate varieties I have grown here are Chocolate Bhut, Habanero Chocolate and Jamaican Hot Chocolate. Left on the plant long enough to ripen I found the pods to lose the chocolate colouring. When I saved seeds last season I waited for the pods to become reddish.

I didn't have trouble germination wise with the Habanero Chocolate and Jamaican Hot Chocolate seeds that were from JungleRain.

This is my first grow this year and I've had only had 4/20 chocolate habanero seeds sprout and 1/20 Jamaican hot chocolates come up. I was expecting this type of luck with my other varieties as well since I was new to this, so I went big on the seed planting. Now I have about 160 plants and no idea what I'm going to do with them all :confused:

I kept the remaining 2 unsprouted chocolate habanero seeds cooking in the puck after the others had been sprouted for a week. I was rewarded with one more hook yesterday. :dance:

Good luck with your grow, I had mine in a christmas light incubator at 85 degrees for 2 weeks before I got any sign of life.

found my notes from 2010/11, i soaked my choc habs seeds overnight, dec 13, 2010, dec 14 i placed 1 seed in rockwool and one in promix hp. dec 24 the rockwool sprouted and jan 8 the promix sprouted. both were in my heated germination tray, covered.

the choc bhuts: rockwool dec 25, promix jan 3. - again 2010/11.

I planted alot this year and my chocolate habeneros from pepper joe was the only ones not to germinate. I noticed some of them had developed a fungus on the seed.

:confused: Same here, but with Reapers.
2 seeds each sponge in the aerogarden,5 sponges, 0 sprouts.
That was a quick $10.
Still have one growing from a different package, but won't give up on these for a few more weeks.

I got chocolate habs from pepper joe about 8 months ago and they all germinated for me. I do recall it taking a while though, I don't think anymore than 3 weeks though.

Back