• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Average Germination Time for Listed Varities

What is the average time (days) it takes for the peppers below to germinate?

-Habaneros

-White Bullet Habaneros

-Fatalis

-Lemon Drops

-7 Pot/Pod

-7 Pot/Pod Jonah

-Tio

-Red Manzana/Rocoto

[size="+1"]GERMINATION SPEED[/size][size="+1"]--[/size][size="+1"]Regular sweet peppers are very quick to germinate, usually 6-8 days.

HOT PEPPERS always take a lot longer, a minimum of 15 days, but up to 100 days!
--Habaneros always take a minimum of 18-25 days.
--Bhut Jolokia, take a minimum of 20-30 days.
--East Indian and Thai hot peppers always take 20-55 days.
--Bird peppers like Pequin and Tepin are always the longest: 21-100 days. Daytime soil temperature of 80-85°F and fertilizers will cut the total germination time down to 25-30 days.
[/size]

specific pepper times .. go here:
http://www.ecoseeds.com/Pepper.growing.tips.html

Hmm, my minimums are much lower than what's posted above. I've had hot peppers germinate in 5 days (white habaneros did that last year on me). Most of my peppers, which are mostly superhots, take between 1 and 2 weeks. The maximum can also be higher. They could sit there for months and end up germinating.

Edit: That article is wrong about peat btw. Peppers germinate well in peat. I've also germinated and grew healthy plants in microgrow.

Edit again:

"Plant seedlings out into the garden, when nights are consistently about 50"

I think this is bad advice unless you don't have room inside for your seedlings. You should wait until their are young plants since they are much stronger.

These are average germination times for me

-Habaneros - I had my first habanero up at 3 days this year, and the longest 9 days. The average was just under 6 days.

-Fatalis - These ranged from 7-12 days

-7 Pot/Pod - I had my first hook show up at 4 days, the last one at 9 days. The average was just over 6 days.

My Bhuts were the slowest ranging from 7-15 days.

I currently have nearly 150 sprouts growing.

Only a handful have taken longer than 2 weeks.
A couple Bhut varieties and a couple native plants from various localities.
While my Red bhuts only took 6-12 days

Most of my Habaneros took 4-12 days and I have about 6 different strains growing.

Fataliis took me from 9 days all the way to my latest sprout at roughly 34 days.

7 pots were around the 8 to 18 day mark.

I'm not growing any of the other ones currently but with what everyone else has said already it varies greatly.

I'm currently doing a personal test on how different mediums affect the growth of peppers and I can say 100% of my seedlings planted in a peat based organic medium sprouted 1-4 days sooner than ones planted that popular potting soil companies stuff. Also they tend to be less leggy than the others. So I'm saying peat is a good thing for my seedlings thus far.

My experience is almost identical to Dia's. The germ times listed above seem VERY long. I usually have chinenses that pop up in 3-5 days on the early end, with most coming in around the 10-day mark. Then there are a few stragglers that take 14 days+. If I don't have a plant in 15 days, I usually treat it as a dud. On rare occasion, I have one germinate very late and surprise me, but that's by far the exception.

I should mention I use Promix BX which is around 75% peat. I looked at the ecoseeds website and it looks like a lot of the information is off. I am not sure where they are getting a lot of the information, or maybe they just have poor practices but I have never seen as bad of germination times as they have listed.

This is such a general question you're not going to get an exact answer. Someone could say from 5 to 100 days and they wouldn't be wrong. They could say from 6 to 80 days and they wouldn't be wrong. We could say they won't germinate because we've all had duds. What about the variables? Temperature of medium, moisture level. Those two things can add or subtract many days to germination times.

Plant your seeds, keep them on the moist side, try to keep the temps in the mid 80's F and wait.

GERMINATION SPEED--Regular sweet peppers are very quick to germinate, usually 6-8 days.

HOT PEPPERS always take a lot longer, a minimum of 15 days, but up to 100 days!
--Habaneros always take a minimum of 18-25 days.
--Bhut Jolokia, take a minimum of 20-30 days.
--East Indian and Thai hot peppers always take 20-55 days.
--Bird peppers like Pequin and Tepin are always the longest: 21-100 days. Daytime soil temperature of 80-85°F and fertilizers will cut the total germination time down to 25-30 days.

specific pepper times .. go here:
http://www.ecoseeds....owing.tips.html

That site lead me so wrong when I first started growing chiles. Someone needs to call that number and tell them they are doing more harm than good. Their website says that they have 40 years in the business, but if they think a hot pepper seed takes at minimum 15 days to germinate no matter what, they shouldn't be giving anyone advice.

For me germination time is typically 5-14 days for almost anything, probably the longest was something like 30 days for a manzano. I haven't grown any wilds, so I'm not sure about those.

My experience is that the Superhots take about one to two weeks longer (for me) than the other varieties. Regular hot peppers take about two to three weeks for me. Superhots can take three to four weeks. I use heat mats and humidity domes.

Big Mike

Had at least 1 seed germ for all of these in 6 days.

Santa fe grande
takanatsumi
chiletepin(only 1 of these so far)
bhut jolokia(4/6)
datil
early japaleno

about 8-9 months ago my butch t's took about 3 weeks if I remember right.

For those that had fast germination times, what kind of soil were you using?  Did you do any other special care (Saran wrap cover, no light, scarification, etc.)?

Back