• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

The thread of Creepy Crawlies

It seems there are a few of us who aren't afraid of bugs and spiders and other critters with more than four legs around here so I thought it would be a great idea to post some pics. Bugs make fantastic subjects to take pics of and you can definitely hone your macro shooting skills on them. So please please please post all of the bug pics you want.

This is the Spiny Flower Mantid. Photo is courtesy of yen_saw of the American Tarantula Society

spinyflowermantid_zps0f181619.jpg

I got the ball rolling so come on gang, let's see them pics!

Yes Rodney that counts.

Some wicked photos folks! I see some of you have discovered jumping spiders. Those guys are some of the most photogenic critters there are. This thread is going to be epic.

This is one of my favorite girls, Avicularia geroldi. She is a tree dweller and is about five inches across. She won't get much bigger. She hails from South America and is about five years old and should live for another seven to nine years.

DSC028472300x1725_zps82313983.jpg

She has a Blaptica dubia, A South American cockroach in her fangs.

Had a bit of business to do at the local zoo today so I took a few pics of the not so common critters.

First up is a pink katydid. This is a mutation, they're usually green. They are attempting to breed them.

IMG_20130302_134238_724_zps9afde964.jpg

This is a Atlas beetle grub. They live in the ground for about two years prior to becoming an adult. Adults live four to six months.

IMG_20130302_134856_678_zps0c6ed6fd.jpg

This is a walking leaf insect.

IMG_20130302_134659_900_zps7a942bdf.jpg

wow! what a cool thread! I love your south american girl Patrick, (it looks like she could use a Brazilian wax tho lol), and that leaf insect is a trip.

Is that one of those huge Hawk moths? I dig things. Remind me of Mothra.

Here's one of the smallest tarantula babies you'll ever see with color. It is a second instar Cyriocosmus ritae dwarf tarantula. As adults they rarely get past a two inch leg span. This one is probably two months old. It would take four of them to cover a dime. If it was all stretched out it might be a 1/4" long.

DSC028902300x1725_zps80d41ee3.jpg

Back