Cant wait to get this smoking!!

I got my birthday present this Saturday and finally got it I can't wait to start it up Matter of fact tomorrow Pork Steaks mmmmmmmm

And if you have any ideas coming over call first my buddy is watching over the goodies.

I am new at this smoking stuff so any tidbits would be great.

Okie Joe nice grill read the maul. When I got my smoker I had to get it the first burn to 500f to season it
Dan
Okie Joe just being nosey but were did you get that one and how much are they going for am looking to get another one in the near future

LET IT BURN

Okie Joe..nice score. Imagine the mathematical possibilities with the grill attached. There are heaps of recipes here on the forum..check out the BBQ section. Have fun with your buddy and your new toy!
Cheers, TB.

Definitly season it with a good burn first to get the shipping oils off and I sprayed everything in mine with cooking oil but if you have bacon grease its even better.... enjoy and have fun crack a beer and watch as your friends show up

that sure is nice :cool:
does the left side get the charcol heat or is that a gas only side ? because it seems like a long way from that charcol box on the right. or can you put charcol in each section ?

bowhunter said:
Okie Joe nice grill read the maul. When I got my smoker I had to get it the first burn to 500f to season it
Dan
Okie Joe just being nosey but were did you get that one and how much are they going for am looking to get another one in the near future

LET IT BURN

I picked this one up at Academy Sports it doesn't come with firebox thats an extree. Also the bottle didn't come with it, It ran me $259.00 Which I thought was pretty good Had pork steaks tonight mmmmmmmmm they were good. Also so lowes had them but they wanted $50. more so I got a free firebox or a tank of propane either way I am happy with it so far.

chilehunter said:
that sure is nice :cool:
does the left side get the charcol heat or is that a gas only side ? because it seems like a long way from that charcol box on the right. or can you put charcol in each section ?

The left side is just gas with three burners. And the right is either way you can use it as grill or use the firebox as a smoker I wiped it down real good and waiting for this dang weather to chill out really windy today I use the gas side after running it for 30 minutes. The grill and smoker side what is pretty neat the inside grate you can raise it up as your coals are burning if you got a couple more hot dogs to grill I wanna find a wire basket to put in the firebox and put a shield in bq pit to block the heat from firebox when I start smoking

You did good the one I got 3years ago was $220.00 with out the gas one I had the fire box but not the second grill which I real like .I will be looking around Here for one like yours
Dan

LET IT BURN

Canuk Pepperhead said:
your pup looks like a cutie

Hes my lil puppy I got him from a friend he part great pyrenees and some european herd dog. He is about 120 pounds and loves attention and leftover rib bones steak or anything you don't nail down lol

okie joe said:
I wanna find a wire basket to put in the firebox and put a shield in bq pit to block the heat from firebox when I start smoking
I dont get it :confused: not about the wire basket but the blocking off? there is a knockout plate between the firebox and grill ... you pop the plate out and smoke on the grill not in the firebox itself / is that what you mean?

LUCKYDOG said:
I dont get it :confused: not about the wire basket but the blocking off? there is a knockout plate between the firebox and grill ... you pop the plate out and smoke on the grill not in the firebox itself / is that what you mean?

You are right but when you knock out that plate you can smoke in the grill. Well my experience from a few people said that they always have to cook or smoke away from fire box opening area. Because of the heat. Well if I put a oval shape plate steel to block off that opening the heat will travel under the plate and heat equeally and still allow the smoke to do its thing. The plate covers the entire bottom of the grill and if you just BQing take the plate out. At least thats my hope

Okie Joe that is were you use your vents to control the heat in the fire box.If you try to bloke the heat from the fire box you will also block the smoke coming from it.It takes time and patients to smoke and control the heat Use the thermometer and vents i fire box and smoke stack to control heat If you are smoking you do not want the heat any higher then 280f till meat reaches it temp.IMO
Dan

LET IT BURN

okie joe said:
You are right but when you knock out that plate you can smoke in the grill. Well my experience from a few people said that they always have to cook or smoke away from fire box opening area. Because of the heat. Well if I put a oval shape plate steel to block off that opening the heat will travel under the plate and heat equeally and still allow the smoke to do its thing. The plate covers the entire bottom of the grill and if you just BQing take the plate out. At least thats my hope

Isnt there an adjustable coal grate on the inside for direct grilling as well? I usually move that up a bit and put my drip/water tray underneath which redirects heat flow. you dont want to restrict too much its only getting up to a max of 275F I dont put anything right on top of that area but you can watch it if you do or throw foil under it. I have done ALOT of meat on mine without even going near to that. you can weld a plate over the top but.... its backyard Q'n not a competition ..well only with the neighbors or in-laws. ;) bu tyou get what I mean besides burnt ends are awesome!

I took your advice and left the grate thing out and only thing is I cooked about 225 and think I should of went a little bit more butthen I was worried about burning it up for the first time. I said well I still get it hot enough but slower cooking time. I really appreciate the help I never done this kind of cooking but really love the taste of it

OJ 225 is good you just cook it longer and it will help to make the meat fall off the bone just do not go over 280 because then you are not giving the smoke time to penetrate the meat . If you have about 1/4 inch or more pink line all the way around the meat on the inside then you are doing it right. If you do not have a meat thermometer get one.I always use it because to long will dry out most meats.
every one has there own way we all can point you in the right direction but you will soon find your own zone.Anything I can do to help just PM me.
Dan

LET IT BURN

Back