• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

The Joy of Woking

Just recently I purchased a cast iron wok on Amazon. It should be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I have been using my old teflon coated wok to make some stir-fry.

I just learned that I had been doing it wrong this whole time. I would put some oil in the wok, turn it on, and then add just about everything I could fit into the thing, and then just let it simmer for 10 or 15 minutes.

After watching some cooking shows on Create [I am a sucker for that channel], I realized that you need to let the wok heat up, add the oil, wait for the oil to heat up, then add your garlic/ginger/onions, then add any meat, and then add your veggies, followed by any desired sauce. They said to make it a point to slice everything very small, especially the meat, so that it cooks quickly. Everything should be done in no more than 5 minutes, and still be crispy. It has made a world of difference in the quality of my stir-fry.

Any other wok fans on THP? I am open for any tips or tricks that will improve my methods even further. [Also perhaps info on seasoning/caring for cast iron]

I will try to post pics next time I make some [probably in a few days]... I was too hungry today to worry about snapping shots. :)

Here is a pic of the wok that I ordered:

wok.jpg

It is a Bayou Classic 12.5" cast iron wok.

i dont know anything about cooking... but i know a bit about metals... and cast iron is an offensive easily corroded and hard to work metal.

add some chromium and nickle to that thing... IMHO

i dont know anything about cooking... but i know a bit about metals... and cast iron is an offensive easily corroded and hard to work metal.

add some chromium and nickle to that thing... IMHO

Thanks for the info. :) Now I am a bit worried. I do know that many people swear by cast iron for cooking... I have read that it is all in the proper care. Seasoning it properly, keeping moisture away, etc. The main draw is that it heats evenly, so you don't really have to worry about 'hot spots' on your cookware. I will do some more research. The wok was only $25, so if I have to get another one, it isn't too big of a hit.

Thanks again for the insight.

you just blew my mind westin, I too have been doing it wrong.... lol

Give it a shot. You end up with nice crisp veggies, tender meat, and a great overall flavor! :)

One other thing that I picked up from the cooking shows, is not to use olive oil for any high heat applications. They recommended peanut oil, vegetable oil, etc. I have been using about 1 Tbs peanut oil for cooking in the wok, which seems to be sufficient. Then towards the end, I add just a bit of sesame oil, and some hot sauce.

Here are a couple of videos that helped me quite a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPfvytn1eYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=misM63_X2jY

Ive been using my wok the correct way from the start .. I was taught by a Chinese lady that has been doing it that way for 40+ years. I have never tried one that is cast iron though.. let me know how it works..

when i was a young lad-late 70's, early 80's, we had 2 cooking shows that were fun to watch. Martin Yan, "Yan Can" and James Barber "the frypan man" - just like it sounds, everything was cooking in 1 cast iron frypan and at the end of his show he showed how to properly clean the cast iron pan with salt.

here are a couple vids to watch, unfortunately not from their origin tv series - that would have been a blast, martin yan was funnier and james barber dawn a long ponytail.
enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66syNhYJtls

Thanks for the info. :) Now I am a bit worried. I do know that many people swear by cast iron for cooking... I have read that it is all in the proper care. Seasoning it properly, keeping moisture away, etc. The main draw is that it heats evenly, so you don't really have to worry about 'hot spots' on your cookware. I will do some more research. The wok was only $25, so if I have to get another one, it isn't too big of a hit.

Thanks again for the insight.

lol im just joshing, i know a number of people that always talk about cast iron this and that and i always give them crap about how cast iron is crummy from a metallurgical standpoint. one guy i know brags that he never uses soap on his? idk. i think he said he srubs it with baking soda or something strange.

and yea stainless is terrible for moving heat around so i think this why its not typically used in cookware. maby big pots? i really dont know anything about cooking.

edit err by cookware i mean skillet type things. they are typically aluminum alloys no?

We were just talking woks in the TD topic, you should enter this month, it is here!

Now, I was always thought carbon steel is the way to go for control, as CI is too heavy to toss with, and retains high heat throughout and can burn, since wok (stir-fry) cooking is high heat, and CI is best for low to medium. But let us know how it goes, I'd like to know.

I imagine it's great for simmering and braising.

wok shmok. im fo real the only pan i was aloud to use as a little fat sickid was this huge beat up wok. im stir master that its so stupid this throwdown is done.

edit: i thought this was the throwdown thread.

We were just talking woks in the TD topic, you should enter this month, it is here!

Now, I was always thought carbon steel is the way to go for control, as CI is too heavy to toss with, and retains high heat throughout and can burn, since wok (stir-fry) cooking is high heat, and CI is best for low to medium. But let us know how it goes, I'd like to know.

I imagine it's great for simmering and braising.

I should have it tonight, so I will give it a go, and report back. As I said, it was $25... so no big loss. They have carbon steel woks on there for about the same price, so I may well end up with one of those too. :)

I had thought about the weight with regards to being able to toss the contents... but, I could probably use the exercise. ;)

I am still hopeful that it will work out well. :) The CI ones that I looked at had great reviews. If not, it will become my camping pan, and I will order carbon steel. ;)

I have never heard of or seen a cast iron wok. I too am wondering about it for stir-frys. Maybe I will start a thread about it so we have three... :lol:

lol... I started this before I was informed of the discussion in the TD throwdown. :) At least this way I didn't derail that one [as if you can derail a TD thread any faster than they do naturally...]

When I said that, it had NOTHING to do with you. Same thing happened to me with my juicing topic the other day.

Oh and just for fun, I bumped a CI thread to ask about it too.. :lol:

Lol... I didn't take it personally. :) Thanks for the clarification though. I have been reading the old cast iron vs. carbon steel debate all day today on various forums. I might just have to get both. :D

Well, after seasoning my wok, I threw in some garlic, ginger, carrots, celery, rice and mushrooms... along with some Mongolian Fire Oil... the thing worked like a charm. I never lost the sizzle that is so important in stir fry, and the veggies came out nice and crisp. I think it will do just fine. After reading some reviews/debates, it appears that many people believe that cast iron is better for home use, as it gets and stays hotter than carbon steel [when working on lower btu ranges]. It did take some effort to flip the food around, as the thing weighs about 11 pounds without any food, but I managed. I may well end up with popeye arms, as the other thread suggests.

I can see your point about CI working better on electric stoves. I'm used to people having gas stoves so was thinking mostly of that. Yeah, you really need the flames for the carbon steel to work right. Range on high, and it hits the sides, stir fast, etc. CI keeps the constant heat on electric stoves and kinda mimics that of steel on gas.

Sounds like you made the right choice for stir-frying on electric.

A Carbon Steel Wok is the way to go and the best for high heat chinese stir fry techniques. I've had 2 of them since the 70's and they are jet black from years of seasoning and are non stick. I'm also a cast iron collector and have many dutch ovens and skillets from the late 1800's through mid 1950's. CI woks would be to heavy to work with IMHO for stir frying in the kitchen. They like their carbon steel counterparts need to be seasoned properly and you should never use soap in them. Just wipe them clean with a sponge after cooking and then place them on low heat and re apply a thin coat of oil and wipe clean. That is all you do with this type of cookware.

hope this helps !!!

Back