• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Curry Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Finally, we are doing curry!

Your dish may be:
A Curry - Various saucy dishes (stews) using complex spice combinations (cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, etc.), chilis, and often coconut milk. Native to many Asian countries, parts of The West Indies, UK, Fiji (from Indian influence), etc. Ex: Lamb vindaloo, bhuna gosht, penang curry.
or
Curried - Using the flavors of curry (as in curry powder) to create whatever dish you want. Ex: Curry fritters, curry fried rice, curried salmon tacos, whatever.

You must make your own curry. This means you must mix the herbs and spices used to create the flavor base for either of the above. NO using any generic curry powders or pastes (garam masala, yellow curry mix, red curry paste). Your mix must be ALL individual herbs and spices. This is a Curry Throwdown and you must make your curry from scratch, no shortcuts. This pertains to the herbs and spices used to create the curry flavor base or curry powder only.

Meat, fish, or vegetable/vegetarian.

You MUST list the ingredients of your "curry" and not just list it as red curry, etc. Break it down and list all of your individual herbs and spices. You must also list the rest of your ingredients and cooking methods as usual. List ingredient measurements on this one.

You MUST tell us the type of curry you made and where it is from. If you made up your own please tell us the influence. The name of your entry must include the type of curry you made.

READ: The 5 Rules for an eligible entry

PoL: $0.85

Ends Sunday 10 PM EST.

BEGIN!

Damn damn damn.....with today being my final day of my civilian job, I completely forgot this started today!!!

I need to go back to town tomorrow.....

POOP.

No! Right thread. Do it.

goshdang Fenugreek seeds. They are so elusive... I will continue the search tomorrow.

haha. I probably could have sent you some if there was more time. our india store locally had a bunch when I was there today. I was going to make something with fenugreek. but decided to go elsewhere.

I would post my POL now, but I couldn't find curry leaves at the local market, so I had to stop at an oriental store. one of the employees happened to have a curry tree. So hopefully I can get a quantity of fresh leaves from the tree tomorrow sometime.

:D

Ha! It's like a bay leaf.

IMG_6140.jpg

Dam.........Was about to fire up the Wok but I see it has a hole in the bottom and the Chinese Spatula has frayed apart...
I guess that can happen when your "Wok Kit" is almost 40yrs old.
I'll have to roll through the cases ...cabinets to see if I can drum up another kettle . I'll try to be back in a . curry...but definitely
before the deadline.....

lol to all your replies.

I've yet to figure out multi-quote, so I'm not even going to try this.

Yes, apparently this is the TD where key sees how far he can bend the rules. although lol DeathtoSnails.

Maybe I should call this dish 'At this point I don't care if this qualifies or not...XD." 15$ it seems buy my curry will

not.'

I'd don't see what rules need bending it's wide open, make whatever you want, just make sure the curry base is your own blend with individual herbs/spices. That's hard? What's to bend? Using a pre-made mix? Don't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back