• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Questions about a 10' pumpkin.

I have a pumpkin vine growing over a tree (pics in my blog)The first fruit (I checked the dictionary...its a fruit) so far is about 10' in the air near the top of a tree.

The questions I have is do I need to go up & get it when it looks ripe? How can I tell if it's ripe without climbing up there.

If I ignore it & wait for it to fall, will it break on impact?

Can I grab it early....do they ripen off the vine?

Stop laughing...I'm serious :lol:

Getcha some panty hose, large ones, and slip one leg over the pumpkin. Tie the other leg to a branch or the truck of the tree.

LUCKYDOG said:
can it be untangled and brought down?

Well now, where's the fun in that? Wouldn't you rather get the store security video of Bent trying to explain why he needs pantyhose?

Like, once we were going blood sugar counts on a whole bunch of diabetic rats. We nicked their tails, then milked a few drops of blood for the test. The milking was causing friction and was uncomfortable for the rats, so I went by a grocery store with a pharmacy early the next morning to get some K-Y jelly so we'd be ready to start again at 8AM sharp.

First it was too early for the pharmacy to be open, so the manager had to be called to unlock the cabinets after I explained that no, I couldn't wait to get the K-Y later, I needed it now. Then, I tried to pay for it with my university credit card. The cashier looked at the credit card, looked at the K-Y, looked at me, then looked over at the manager. He came over and looked at the credit card, looked at the K-Y, and looked at me. "It's for the rats", I said helpfully. Now they were both just staring at me. "We're giving tail to rats, and we need the K-Y for the friction", I added. Yeah, well, some lengthy explanations and an offer to get a prescription from the vet later, I finally escaped the store with the K-Y.

So, can't you just see Bent standing there, clutching the pantyhose, saying "They're for the pumpkins..."

..And there I was thinking you'd send me some of yours...

Looks like it's either a Jap or a Blue pumpkin. Luckily its in a Conifer & the branch is starting to bend, anther few days i'll be able to reach it.
Anyone know if they'll ripen off the vine?

firstod0.jpg

I'm not 100% sure, but I dont think pumpkins will ripen off the vine, ok more like 50-50 sure :lol:

if you really want to keep it I'd try to take the vine out of the tree, but you also run the risk of breaking the vine or breaking the pumpkin or rip it from the vine.

you could take some strong rope (something that can hold up to hundreds of pounds) & make some kind of harness to hold the pumpkin & tie the rope ends to the main trunk of the tree or some strong enough branches to hold the weight. you never know it might grow huge & you sure wouldnt want a 50+ pound pumpkin to hit you or anyone else in the head :shocked:

you are the 1st person to show me a pumpkin thats growing in a tree, I understand they're vines but most people dont have them growing next to trees or allow them to grow on trees.

oh yea just imagine the publicity you'd get having a big ol' pumpkin growing in a tree, maybe get on the news & then a great time for a plug for your "pain" hot sauce while being interviewed about the pumpkin ;)

chilehunter said:
I'm not 100% sure, but I dont think pumpkins will ripen off the vine, ok more like 50-50 sure :lol:

Hey wow...50/50 advice. I think I had that already :lol:

chilehunter said:
if you really want to keep it I'd try to take the vine out of the tree, but you also run the risk of breaking the vine or breaking the pumpkin or rip it from the vine.

Theres no way its coming out in one piece. Its in, over & around a dozen branches.

Some kind of a sling does seem to be the way to go.

chilehunter said:
you never know it might grow huge & you sure wouldnt want a 50+ pound pumpkin to hit you or anyone else in the head :shocked:

Its not going to grow huge, I'm hoping its a Jap pumpkin which are quite small But you do remind me about ppl growing those monster size pumpkins - I saw a show where the guy cut the vine & dunked it in a bucket of water to make it huge.
That could work to keep it alive until it ripens.

chilehunter said:
you are the 1st person to show me a pumpkin thats growing in a tree, I understand they're vines but most people dont have them growing next to trees or allow them to grow on trees.

It came out of my compost heap on its own while i was away on hols. Just one of the many strange sites to see around the bent garden.

:lol: I actually went for a wander around today, there's a few other vines growing....& two more tree pumpkins :lol: one smaller out the front at about 6' up & half the size another even smaller out the back growing on the mango fence.

mmmm tree pumpkin :drooling:

Bent...the panty hose idea Pam had and the sling idea CH had were good ones.

Another idea would be to support it with a 2" X 4" that is either stuck in the ground or on a base with braces and an 12" square piece of fairly thick plywood on top to make a platform. (I build everything with 2 X 4's and plywood it seems).

AlabamaJack said:
Bent...the panty hose idea Pam had and the sling idea CH had were good ones.

Another idea would be to support it with a 2" X 4" that is either stuck in the ground or on a base with braces and an 12" square piece of fairly thick plywood on top to make a platform. (I build everything with 2 X 4's and plywood it seems).

I was thinking also that the timber, expense & labour was a viable method of avoiding the embarrassment of buying pantihose & telling stories like Pams.

Back