• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's Dirt Grow-Almost done..

Weekend March 2-3:
I’ve been working on the garden for years; it was dormant for a few years (like 10) while I changed careers. The base soil if you want to call it that is sand. I added heavy black dirt to the upper 2/3 years ago; I’ve since added heavy red dirt (clay ) to half of the lower 1/3. For two years straight I’ve added 4”s of compost to the upper 2/3 and this year 4”s to the bottom 1/3. I clean horse pens for the free manure; kitchen waste is added to the compost. Our property is on a slope and heavy rains cause erosion problems. Above the garden the land is heavily terraced to divert water runoff.
Finished concreting the base of the fence, used 22 80lb bags, the Waskily Wabbits should be done, until they find another way in. They have been a real menace! I tried a hot wire system, it was not too effective and killed birds and squirrels; I didn’t like that.

5.jpg

Planted the Onions January 15th, Garlic was planted September 15th. They took a beating with the 30mph winds, 55 mph gusts last Monday.

6.jpg

Tilled and my wife planted corn, cukes, watermelons, bush beans and cantelope.

17.jpg

Bush Beans above

11.jpg

Cukes, and Melons behind the Rosemary above.

Corn below.

14.jpg

I started these the first week of January; I think I got carried away.

1.jpg

The Potatoes, planted February 15th are coming up. I planted then 8”s deep and I keep covering them up, and will do so until the ground is level where planted.

7.jpg

Never ending mulch pile.

9.jpg

Hmmm.. too many images...

The garden is 48’x67’. The wood frame supports a 20’x40’ shade cloth. The sprinklers are on a timer. I use them to combat a frost, and to water when lazy. Normally I hand water and use soaker hoses. Last year the garden went all season without any rain. So sad..
18.jpg

I didn’t get near what I wanted done this weekend, normal..I did get a few more than 1/3 of the Matties in.

16.jpg

15.jpg

During the week I’ll work on the rest of the tomatoes. Peppers are 2 weeks out, as they just sit there this time of year.

Natty,

I used html, but this stuff has an image tool... got it now:)

I got almost all the tomotoes in during the week and the cages setup, some are starting to flower. Monday was spent getting ready for Tuesday's 30mph winds, watering the garden so the top soil didn't blow away like the week before. We did OK this time.

I tranplanted a bunch of peppers today, just got done.

We're expecting bad weather tonight, high winds and hail, hopefully we'll just get some much needed rain here.

I took some pics and still have to process them.

22.jpg

These Orange Habs came up too close to each other.

20.jpg

Although not root bound I wanted them out of their shallow flat. This is a Red Caribbean.

36.jpg

The Chinense after potting, Red Caribbean’s, Orange Habs, and Reapers. Poblano’s in the flat. The Reaper’s were planted around Feb 6[sup]th[/sup]. The habs 2 weeks earlier.

38.jpg

They’re a little anemic looking. I’m just starting to bring them outside.

31.jpg

Red Caribbean

33.jpg

Anemic looking Reaper. I'm sure I over watered them in the flats, I'm letting them dry out some and I'm going to it them with some Calmag and Hasta Gro.

Aight, found it! Great stuff Scott! Sure does look like home. I was lucky enough to spend the first 10 years of my military career in Corpus Christi...not so lucky now. Worse places to be stuck for gardening is the bright side. A little too fast paced and unfriendly, I am used to folks pulling onto the shoulder to let me pass and a friendly wave in passing from EVERYBODY. I will be here watching from here on out! Keep them green brother and looking forward to the next set of pics!

If you haven't already check out Greg (Pic1), Jamie (Romy6), John (Pr0digal_Son)'s grow logs and say howdy there are many more not trying to leave anyone out take note of the folks on there and my glog Rick, Ramon, Pia, Annie, Paul, Steve, Bonnie, Denniz, Kevin... Great group of folks that can almost always help you out in a pinch.

Shane

Shane,

Thanks for viewing, I think I posted this perhaps in the wrong place. I'm new and "growing other" seemed to fit my year as it not just peppers. This is my first year doing peppers from seeds and I have found I'm way behind, especially after seeing the work 'yall have done.

I'm still finding my way around and will look for everyones glog.

take care,

Scott

Yeah...I would send the administrators a message and have them move it for you. You're really not behind, but maybe could've gotten a better jump. You have a nice long season, so you'll have no trouble getting some pods of them bad boys!

The weather has been cooperating, 50’s at night 70’s-80’s daytime, the tomatoes are starting to kick in.

63.jpg

About 20% are flowering. This one’s a Campari grown from seeds we saved.

57.jpg

The Onions are recovering from the 50-55mph gusts we had a couple weeks back.

50.jpg

The Potatoes are mostly up now.

52.jpg

53.jpg

Corn is germinating as well. I also planted about 40 pepper plants, some shown at left. This is my first year growing peppers from seed. Next year I’m starting the peppers earlier, I would have liked them to be a large as the tomatoes at plant time.

51.jpg

The Bush Beans have sprouted too.

55.jpg

We feed our little pollinators.

61.jpg

64.jpg

Nice update and garden, wish I had that kind of space!

Thanks for stopping by!

Having a place out in the sticks has it's trade offs, believe or not it was the wifes idea.

Take care,

Scott

Awesome garden and setup!! I love the wood structure for your canopy and the sprinkler system as well. Looks like everything you planted is taking off too. I hope it is a good year for you and look forward to future updates. I just tilled a 20x25 ft area two weeks ago for all of my non chili peppers and am planning to add compost, peat moss and manure on monday and get it ready to plant out here in a month I hope to keep working it in future years as you have too. Keep up the great work!!

Mike

Awesome, I was hoping to come across your grow! I like the bee feeder too!
Glad you had time to swing by!

The bee feeder is a multi purpose endeavor. While it certainly helps with pollination it also aids in keeping them out of the dogs water dish and the pool.

Since the drought started and their natural water sources went away they have no where to go for water. I got stung the other day just picking up the hose.

I guess we're taking the "if you can't beat em join em" road here.

Take care, Scott

Awesome garden and setup!! I love the wood structure for your canopy and the sprinkler system as well. Looks like everything you planted is taking off too. I hope it is a good year for you and look forward to future updates. I just tilled a 20x25 ft area two weeks ago for all of my non chili peppers and am planning to add compost, peat moss and manure on monday and get it ready to plant out here in a month I hope to keep working it in future years as you have too. Keep up the great work!!

Mike

Thanks!

One of the hard things to do is not out spend your potential grow, so we try and improve the garden a little each year. I'm dying for a green house!

Sounds like you're on the right track with your soil amendments, they will have a month to blend in.

Good luck on your grow this year!

Scott

See you're in Glogs now Scott!!! Sweet, problem solved! Very well planned out plots. What kind of potatoes are you growing?

Hey Shane,

Thanks! And thanks for your help! We planted Red Pontiac and White Potatoes (they didn't have a specific variety name). We got them at Lowes this year because the feed store was running late. I like to buy them in early January (so they have nice eyes) and plant them in week 2 of February so they get max grow time before the killer heat.

Hey, your plants are awesome this year!

Cya, Scott

Your soil looks amazing!

Thanks!

I've been working that the most, the sand just eats all the amendments, so I keep adding. At this point the upper 2/3 is good to about 9"s. A few years ago I read a article in National Geographic about biochar in the Amazon, and how they were farming the land for 40 years without having to fertilize. I couldn't dupicate that at the same level, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to add some. One thing I have is Mesquite wood here, so I made boo coo's of charcoal and wound up tilling in close to 3"s. I'm sure my wife thought I was nuts :P

That year I planted corn in the treated and untreated parts. The corn in the treated part required far less water and ferts, was taller and produced more!

Have a good one!

Scott

Back