• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

What is the most FLAVORFUL sauce?

Okay, so I know there's this big footrace to see who can make the most, "blow your eyes out of your head" hot sauce.... but hot is a different category, in my opinion. What is the most flavorful sauce you've ever had? Flavor first, heat second kinda sauce that your mom liked, your wife/kids liked... Not the kind that you could put in a spray bottle and use as a personal protection weapon, just what tastes good? What would you use if you had three days worth of pizza, needed one sauce to top it, and that was all you had? What sauce would that be?

That is like asking me to pick which of my kids is my favorite. Impossible. What hot sauce is my favorite changes depending on my mood or meal. I could probably narrow it down to about ten but that is as far as I could go. I guess if I had to pick one sauce that I had to eat forever it would be Sriracha. (easy out to not offend any of my sauce maker friends).

Just ONE??? No way I could choose just one-

But if I HAD to choose one not my own, it would likely be one of the following-
The Sauce Goddess sauce she brought out for our pizza party at the Nativo on Sunday
Heartbreaking Dawn's Original Gold
Crazy Good's red or green
La Salita salsa
High River- can't remember the sauce name and the bottle's gone
DavezFoodz Sweet Spicy Girl
any Lucky Dog Hot Sauce
Red Hawk's Grounds for Divorce

and that's just of one's I've tasted. There are soooooo many awesome sauces.......

How's that for skirting the question? :lol:

lol!!!! Okay... not just one. I understand the dilemma! I have many favorites too!!! I'm just looking for flavors! Anything can be hot..... what about flavor? Was it jalapeno? Habanero? Tabasco? Cayenne?

And JayT..... funny you should say that... I picked up a bag of Sriracha chips at the store today!

C'mon....this should be easy.... if you had three days worth of plain old pizza, what would you wanna soak it with? For me, it would be Iguana Habanero, or Tabasco brand jalapeno.... until I find a better one suited for food

okay..... I've decided.... you hot sauce makers with hot sauce making friends are exempt from the question.... I might as well delete the thread! hahahahhaa!

I haven't been that far around the world.... yet

JHP....... which one do you empty first?????

Ok, to be fair, I will give you some recommendations. Get yourself some sauces from Heartbreaking Dawns. He makes unbelievable flavor combinations with heat. Melindas Naga Sauce. Cajohn's Fatalii Puree. Defcon 1 wing sauce. Lucky Dog Orange. Red Hawk Scorpion Sting or B[sup]3[/sup]. You already had Justaguy's Johnny Scorpion, get some of his Habermelon. Blair's best sauces IMO are his Muerte and Pure Death. Neither have extract. Texas Creek Chipotle BBQ is amazing. I could go on and on and on. Check out the review section here too.

+1 on the review section. Just posted that in the Hottest Sauce thread.

I think this is a trick question...
For the love of the flavor I really like Blairs Original Death Sauce and their Zakk Wylde Orignal Berserker... Neither of them are "hot" but I really dig the flavor.
There are so many sauces that I have had in the last several years it would be hard as Hades to pick just one.
Gotta love the Tapatio and the Sriacha too.

I have heard Lucky Dog makes some good stuff, but have not yet had the chance to try them except for a prototype that I think became Black Label.

Red Hawk(redtailforrester) makes some good stuff too.

Ann(Salsalady) makes good things that range around also. The worchestesh- sh-shire sauce is yummy.

I just received my bling yesterday from the Fiery Foods Challenge - my Green Label won "Mild - Consumer Ready", which seems like the ultimate compliment to flavor? I thank everyone for the mentions in here - this topic is in my wheelhouse.
:D

@Brian - send me a MFRB of applewood chips (or whatever's ready/handy) an ill sendja a 3-pack. :cheers:

There are a great many very tasty sauces - a lot of them from folks who are members here. Redhawk's "Grounds For Divorce XXX" is a tremendous sauce. Texas Creek's chipotle BBQ was already mentioned, but I enjoy Ann's Garlic Hab quite a bit too. DavezFoodz makes really tasty sauces as does Knepper's Peppers. Heartbreaking Dawn, and many many others. Another I really like is the Tearjerker. And of course Tapatio, Sriracha, The Cheech "gnarly garlic", Yucatan Sunshine, BigFats (pretty much anything) etc, etc, etc. like others I don't want to Lear anyone out & there are dozens more that deserve mention.

As has been mentioned - check the reviews section! Many members have reviewed sauces including myself & our very own JayT is one of the best I've seen - he's tough but fair & he doesn't just hand out high scores - if Jay grades it high or low, he backs it up with supporting commentary.

Okay, so now I've got a ton of recommendations to try! I guess this was a question I really shouldn't ask in this forum! Too many pros! I guess I'll want to redirect the question to the general public, like asking folks around town what is it they look for in the flavor of a hot sauce...

Like the Jimmy Scorp sauce (Thanks again, Brian!) would be great for adding heat to my beans without altering the flavor of the dish

Or something as simple as Tabasco Brand Jalapeno sauce for soaking a slice of pizza for both heat and flavor

Thanks for all of the input, guys!

Nah, you're good - there's actually way more hot sauce fans & pepper growers on here than "pros".

But keep in mind that most of us saucemakers started because we're huge fans of hot sauce - no one here is going to "shill" - if I don't like a sauce I won't mention it so really there's zero difference between my recommendations or anyone else's - unless I recommend my own sauce which I'd do "tongue in cheek" as the expression goes.

Like I said - the reviews page has recommendations from a great many people who are not pros.

I don't think you're asking in the wrong place at all - lots of great recommendations so far.
:cheers:

Nah, you're good - there's actually way more hot sauce fans & pepper growers on here than "pros".

But keep in mind that most of us saucemakers started because we're huge fans of hot sauce - no one here is going to "shill"
:cheers:

That's exactly why I'm trying to learn how. Seems that tweaking flavors is the most difficult part. Seems that with every batch I'm putting less and less ingredients in it. Less is more, perhaps!

ALL OF MINE!! LOL just kidding
at the risk of saying whats already been said
I cant answer this one ,this is up to you to work out as taste is very subjective
also would depend on what your eating it with

thanks your friend Joe

I haven't tried as many as most of you and hopefully I'll get to try some of the products you folks have made but for a really good flavor I liked this,
84a3b239-1cd6-4cd5-ba36-cb981bb49196_zps299ba83d.jpg

Back