• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Deformed Leaves

Hello everyone,

I recently transplanted a few plants from there starting trays with jiffy seed mix to 20 oz cups with mg seedling mix. The growth on the transplanted plants is far greater than the ones in the jiffy mix. I think it has something to do with nutrients? but the MG transplants have some weird leaves. Granted, the MG medium retains more soil so I do not discard overwatering as the problem. Any other opinions, like nutrient burn since these are growing far faster that the others?

IMG_0900_zpsb8121424.jpg

IMG_0899_zps1af4b10f.jpg

IMG_0891_zpsd17082ef.jpg

IMG_0886_zpsd99be8ec.jpg

It looks pretty wet to me, could be overwatering. The MG mix as it comes would be hard pressed to give nutrient burn if you haven't added additional ferts, at least from what I have seen. With a good watering I think you should be able to go a while (5-10 days) before needing to water again. It changes depending on temperature, fan use, etc. Just with my seed starting mix I go 6-7 days and it doesn't retain the moisture as well as the MG mix would.

Don't trip, they will grow out of it and you will forget all about this post in like 30 days.
For now, sit back and drink an ice cold bear, because you got peppers on the way. :beer:

I personally believe it is a hormonal imbalance due to the artificial environment. All my seedlings with the exception of a few, look like that at some point and grow out of it. Remember you aren't just growing a pepper plant in that cup, you are growing a micro-ecosystem. Once your soil is active, your plant will get what it needs.

Don't trip, they will grow out of it and you will forget all about this post in like 30 days.
For now, sit back and drink an ice cold bear, because you got peppers on the way. :beer:

I personally believe it is a hormonal imbalance due to the artificial environment. All my seedlings with the exception of a few, look like that at some point and grow out of it. Remember you aren't just growing a pepper plant in that cup, you are growing a micro-ecosystem. Once your soil is active, your plant will get what it needs.

Never had bear before. How is it? :D

Mine did the same thing when I moved them to pots and started hardening them off. I don't know if it was the sun, watering, nutrition, or just the wind hammering them. But I was careful not to over water and hit them with half doses of Calmag and Hasta Gro. Now the new leaves look normal and they're in the dirt. I'm sure they will show yet more signs of adjustment.

Hang in there,

Scott

Thanks y'all. Any suggestions as to why the plants in the 20 oz cups just took-off in growth ? Is it the size of the bigger containers or the different soil?

You want to know why the plants that you put in Miracle Gro potting soil are growing faster than the ones that aren't? Did you happen to read what nutrients are in the MG soil? Now compare those to the nutrients in the Jiffy Pots. What? No nutrients in the Jiffy pots? Imagine that, the ones with food are doing better than the ones without. Man I love sarcasm. No offense bro, just having some fun.

You want to know why the plants that you put in Miracle Gro potting soil are growing faster than the ones that aren't? Did you happen to read what nutrients are in the MG soil? Now compare those to the nutrients in the Jiffy Pots. What? No nutrients in the Jiffy pots? Imagine that, the ones with food are doing better than the ones without. Man I love sarcasm. No offense bro, just having some fun.

Now don't get him all excited about MG... It will take me like 4 threads to convert him over to organic. :P

Thanks when I went to buy the soil I did check the nutrients but they seemed low in my rookie opinion. (.05 - .05 - .05) but now i know you are right. The ones in the jiffy are more pale and way smaller. I knew about the lack of nutrients in seed starting mediums so I was hitting them with some Neptune fish and seaweed (.05 oz per 48 oz of water) once a week but they are not getting much greener or bigger. I think i have to step up my fertilizing more often, maybe now once every 3 days?

Now don't get him all excited about MG... It will take me like 4 threads to convert him over to organic. :P

I was trying to go organic, even had to order neptunes over the internet. I realize now that the MG i am using is NOT organic. I still have most my plants in the jiffy mix so not too late for them. Should I stay with the jiffy for now and step-up the feeding with neptunes?

Thanks for all your help guys.

I have some that start off like that...but they usually grow out of it. I also use MG and stuff grows well in it...stuff also grows well in Happy Frog, Promix, Ocean Forest, Roots...heck the list could go on for three pages. As far as the soil goes picking a quality soil is step 1 and all the rest of the steps involve learning how to use it. Some require regular feedings, more/less water, extra perlite or vermiculite, extra peat moss...once again could be a long list. Then you could always build your own soil too...and a list of possible recipes would be another long one.

Back to the leaves...sometimes they don't grow out of it due to a genetic issue but yours don't look too bad. Here is an example...
gallery_5729_82_3674887.jpg

The tangled mess of leaves in the 2.5" pot far right corner is a Trinidad Scorpion Moruga...it and three others popped in the same batch.

gallery_5729_82_506773.jpg

But they all look like this one in its 18 gallon tote...same pack of seeds planted at the same time in the same soil with the same water schedule, pics taken the same day.

Since yours are growing, and at a faster rate than others I wouldn't sweat it...if it were to remain stunted like mine I would say toss it...like I did to that poor little Moruga...pour out a little worm tea for my homie y'all.

Happy Growing!
Shane

Hi

I know you guys told me not to sweat the deformed leaves and i not (kind of) but just wanted to share a pic of mi takanatsume plant that keeps growing really deformed plants. I am now wodnering if I should toss it?

IMG_0921_zpsc1bd78ff.jpg

Hmm, I am curious as to the answer for this problem as I have had the same issue before with more than a few plants. I thought it was some sort of pest.

At this point it doesn't look like the "forget about it" method will work. For me at least, and as it appears to be doing for you, it only gets worse untill there are no more leaves.

Hmm, I am curious as to the answer for this problem as I have had the same issue before with more than a few plants. I thought it was some sort of pest.

At this point it doesn't look like the "forget about it" method will work. For me at least, and as it appears to be doing for you, it only gets worse untill there are no more leaves.

The funny thing is that the plant keeps growing and producing new leave! it's not weak and growing quickly.

Other than the deformed leaves on the new ones, the plant looks great!

Now it looks like broad mite infestation to me...can't see them with the naked eye. Maybe it you look VERY closely with a magnifying glass you can spot one. Not good news if it is, very hard to get rid of.

There is a small fly problem I am dealing with now using neem oil but does not seem to erradicate them permamently.
I'm going to try and dump a mosquito dunk in the watering can and see if that works

here are some more pics of the plants. It's a shame because they are really thriving lately.
IMG_0943_zps08e57c6c.jpg
IMG_0942_zps68ed5d61.jpg
IMG_0941_zpsb265a1db.jpg
IMG_0940_zpsff7071a0.jpg
IMG_0938_zps389eadd3.jpg
http://i
IMG_0935_zps476a8f22.jpg

the one above is really trhiving, it even has some bus on it

IMG_0932_zps665005ef.jpg

THIS ONE IS PROBABLY THE WORST. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Yuck! That looks like a mite problem for sure. They are a pain to get rid of and can shut a plant down. When you spray for them you have to get every square centimeter of the plant. There are many things on the market that will kill them. I personally use chemicals. I've tried most of the organic ones and they work--for a while. Almost always see a comeback after a few days. Chemicals are OK, to me anyway, but you have to be smart on their use. For the smaller plants I would almost want to set up a bucket and just dip the entire plant. Good luck.

Back