smokers low down on pellet smokers?

i was planning on just buying a plain jane smokey mountain... then someone pointed me to some traeger smoker that seems to be a really neat smoker.

http://www.cabelas.c...CFVCRPAodW2sA6A

this thing seems to get great reviews, but what do the seasoned pros think of these grills? are they just cheater grills that get the job done well enough?... or worse do they just suck?

i know the pellets are costly, so there is that...but i love to tinker and im wondering if this thing couldn't use some .

Well your getting like 720 sq in. of cooking/smoking area on the Weber as opposed to like 292 sq in. on the Traeger. If capacity is an issue go with the WSM. From what I've read the Traeger's are pretty much set it and forget it. The WSM will also hold rock solid temps for smoking but in my opinion can be tinkered with more than the pellet pooper's. For the price you can't go wrong with the WSM and it turns out some great Que'.

What can you do with a wsm? i havent seen anything for them.

also... i didnt realize how much more space the wsm had. that's pretty nice.

this traeger is about the same price as the small wsm, and i like the idea of set and forget. i would defiantly install a nice digital temperature controller into it right away as i have some nice honeywell units that i can program to ramp and soak with w/e time at w.e temp i want.

if it can smoke some meat half decent i think im going to go with the traeger. it seems like alot of people like the pellets, but they dont make as much smoke apparently as a traditional coal and wood setup.

Sorry if this may be off topic here but.... I have an electric smoker and have found the best smoke comes when I put a layer of chips over the element, turn it on for 5 minutes until it gets a nice smoke rolling, then turn it off and let the chips smolder. I have some hardwood pellets I was given and plan on trying my method with them.

For all things related to pellet poopers, this is the place below. I am a Traeger owner. It has its idiosyncrasies, but you really need to spend some time at the link below before buying one.
.http://pelletheads.com/

thanks, i actually noticed that website already, ive been poking around it for a while.

would you say the junior is a decent starter pellet grill? im not a huge cook or anything, im just looking for something small that i can keep in the garage and wheel around for some pork or w/e.

the WSM is nice in that its such a small footprint, i like it in that respect, however it seems like the junior is not much larger.

Hi, I have 2 electric smokers. One is a cheapo & the other has digital controls---both work great. However I did make an addition to each, I bought a smoke generator that I can attach to either one. Then one can use pellets and / or chips---I use both. With a smoke generator I can cold smoke meats and cheeses (as long as outdoor tempature is right---winter / fall / spring).

I love it. You might want to go to www.smokedaddy.com for more info. Hope this was of some help to you.

Wood is where it's at.

You want the real deal smoking? Or just smoke flavor?

the pellets are wood are they not? are you saying without charcoal you dont get a good smoked flavor?

the only downside i have seen so far is that some claim they do not produce as much smoke as some want.... however many others disagree.

like i said im no master bbq smith or anything, id just like something i can do the occasional pork butt and what have you.

No I am saying part of the process for me is tending the fire and dealing with the inconsistencies that come with smoking, seeing flames, dealing with temps, smelling sweet blue smoke, drinking beers, instead of "set it and forget it" sawdust pellets and some smoke flavor. I enjoy the whole process and not the manufactured method.

So let's not even get into electric or gas. ;)
Good for some restaurants, but it spoils the backyard experience, in my opinion. Unless you just like to go inside and forget you are smoking something and watch TV.

If you want a North American made (non-cheap Chinese metal) pellet smoker get the Louisiana Grills Country Smoker TG-300.

Pretty much everything else is Chinese, even Traeger.

Pellet poopers are notorious for NOT producing the same level of smokiness as a stick burner. That's why you see so many pellet pooper owners resorting to Smoke Daddy's, or other mods. Some, like me, resort to piling wood chips on top of the flame diverter. If I was doing it all over again, I would buy a stick burner and a BBQ Guru so that I could get some sleep. I don't buy into the "total experience" of smoking meat when I'm doing a 12+ hour cook. Sleep is good.

I also say get a stick burner. You can buy one cheap and mod it up pretty good.

thats an interesting little gizmo. it attaches to the bottom vents of a WSM?

looks like something i could build easily. just a small dc blower it looks like.

Is it easy to maintain a steady temperature with the WSM?
I just found them locally and if they do it going to replace my Big Chief electric cooker that turned into an incinerator last week
Jafa

I own both a stick burner and a pellet, well more like a Puck burner, its a Bradley Electric. They both have their issues to deal with as has been mentioned but it's nice to have as I can smoke nice big Pork Loins, chickens, brisket, turkey, etc... in the stick burner and then do Fish and such in the electric where i can cut the temperature down. It's also great for smoking peppers. I can get a 4 hour smoke on some peppers at 110 and they done come out dried to the bone. If you want an electric smoker and haven't looked at the Bradley's you should check them out. Also a smaller footprint like the WSM. 

Back