• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Hot Sauce Ideas for Scorpion Morugas?

I have made many hot sauces before but they have all been made with peppers that are not as spicy, such as Habanero and Cayenne peppers. I am going to be growing some Scorpion Morugas this year as well as the usual habaneros, cayennes, jalapenos, ect. I don't have much experience in making hot sauces with peppers as hot as the Moruga. I want to make a sauce that is very hot, but still be edible. Does anyone have any ideas or recipes.
Thanks
James

howardsnm1 is absolutely right - superhots work great in fruit based sauces etc. There are tons of sauce recipes listed throughout these forums, and lots of them use superhot peppers. Your Morouga's should more or less be interchangable for most other hot chinense peppers - so if a recipe calls for 10 bhut jolokia, just try it with 10 Morougas.

One thing I love superhot peppers for is that I can effectively use them to heat up other sauce recipes. A few Morougas in your favorite jalapeno recipe would go a long way to heat it up and add some complexity.

An example for me is that I love sriracha style sauces. Usually I always made them with ripe Jalapenos and/or Thai peppers but they never came out very spicy for me. I recently made a batch with Thai peppers and tossed in like 3-4 "7 pots" and the result was perfect.

Also I like to have a good homemade nuclear hot sauce that can be used in small doses mainly just to heat up something. Eg, when I make bean burritos, I like to had a small amount of a super hot sauce to my beans, then to douse each bite with a milder "slather" sauce. You may find you like having a purely superhot sauce around at times. The heat level will seem more manageable to you once you start eating those bad boys more frequently.

check out the hot sauce recipes at pepperfool.com Anything with a hab would work great with a superhot.

have also heard that drying the peppers and making a powder works well also. Make you favorite hot sauce and then sprinkle in some of the dried Moruga powder to give it more of a kick.
I havent worked with powders as of yet, will be drying peppers and working with it this year though, but have heard that adding the powder will add to the flavor of the sauce and the heat will gradually kick in. So you get the taste of the sauce first and the you get the heat.

Back